Whites detectors compared to others.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not to bad but its not a real sensitive coil on very small nuggets & not designed for very small nuggets, well not for nuggets smaller than .8 of a gram from what I was told. We tested it on a nugget we purchased (because we're not good at detecting yet,haha), it was .87 grams, buried it & packed the dirt back on top, in an old gold mining area, we could detect the nugget at 6 inches with a reasonable signal, could probably detect it at 7 inches & maybe a little more with correct settings.
I've found small lead .22 bullets at depths of 8 to 10 inches so I think its just a matter of finding the right places to detect & we should be able to find some nuggets using the 12 inch spider coil.
We also found swinging very slowly was too slow, going a little faster seemed to get a better signal, swing speed was still slow but just not super slow, best to test that yourself though. Its not a bad coil & can get decent depth, specially on scrap metal,haha, but I think it would still detect nuggets of a gram or more at 10 inches or so, but that also depends on the ground too, not sure how hot the ground is around the ballarat area. I still want a Razorback coil though.

Yes, scrap metal and 22 slugs. No worries. I'm glad I'm no The Lone Ranger on that score.

And the swing speed thing, I've been working on that lately. Think I've got it about right.

And as to the RB/MJ...that's my next get. 12x7.5 or thereabouts. Maybe I'll just have to buy a new one.

The 7x11 folded mono is the one we want, not to small & not to big & from what I'm told its still good on small gold, much better than the 12" Whites Spider coil, still gets good depth as well, not sure how deep compared to the Whites 12 inch though.
The 5x9 folded mono is meant to be very good for very small nuggets so that would be worth a look as well.
Might be a little while before we can get a new coil now, I'm buggered & brother has decided to trade in his nearly new ute on a newer ute,haha. Will have to find some gold to pay for a coil I think.

I am going to try a NF 12" evolution on mine (tdi)when the wether up settles......in late april I hope. So that may have some relevance, similar tech I believe.

The TDI SL is a step up from the SPP with a few more features & down from the TDI Pro series. Been around for longer than the SPP but not as popular in Australia as the TDI OZ Pro or the more recent release of the SPP.
The SPP was actually meant for the African market as the GMT Superpulse http://gmtmetaldetector.com/products/gmt-superpulse/ When sales didn't go as planned it was released here & the USA as the SPP. To the best of my knowledge it was only going to be available until the surplus was sold out which may explain why it's not listed on Goldsearch Australia now but the SL is. The SL used to be a special order.
Don't know what's going on with the TDI series as a whole but the TDI SL is now the only model featured on the Whites interweb site?
Whites prospecting detectors:
https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product-category/metal-detectors/?filter_optimized-for=2192

I kept my TDI SL for times when my ML can't deal with the EMI etc, It's a great machine but I think it pays to own both, but if I can get away without using a PI the better I think,

One thing folks need to know is where you turn the GB off on the TDI and TDI Pro to gain more depth, With the TDI SL you need to turn On the GB to Gain the Extra Depth which works good for Aussie Dirt because it needs to be Ground Balanced On.,

With the Pro with the GB Off it has a Smoothing effect that allows you to use it without ground balancing and it then allows the pro to give the maximum depth, But the TDI SL has the Smoothing Effect with the Ground balance On, So Don't try to Air Test the SL or it will smooth out the signal and will take about 5 or 6 inches OFF the Correct Air Test results and to make it test properly again you need to bring the Test Item up to the Coil quick and overload the signal so it resets it's self to the maximum distance again, and It will do this when you sweep the item in front of the coil and after about the 2nd sweep it will smooth it out, When the Target is in the Ground it will not do it because the GB is focussing on the Ground so the Smoothing effect does not happen.

I only found this out by running the Two machines side by side,

John.

I had a Whites 5000D many years ago with a 16 inch coil and found lots of nuggets in the 1/4 to 3 oz range. I did not have to ground balance it too often but the hot rocks were a problem. I got divorced and left it with my ex wife but when I came back from overseas someone had pinched it. Otherwise I would be using it today digging the mullock heaps.

oldtimerROB said:
I had a Whites 5000D many years ago with a 16 inch coil and found lots of nuggets in the 1/4 to 3 oz range. I did not have to ground balance it too often but the hot rocks were a problem. I got divorced and left it with my ex wife but when I came back from overseas someone had pinched it. Otherwise I would be using it today digging the mullock heaps.

Yeah I got the 5900 Di Pro and it can give most PI's a run for the money,

Latest posts