Communications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Doug. I dont have any slots there but i have a compartment under the dash near the steering wheel which may be ok using the remote one . I have to check the one out in your link.

Hi Gary,
It looks as if a remote head unit would be the go. :)
I showed those units as an example.

Wasn't aware of the pending change, glad it's no longer a problem.

Like you BB I'll be upgrading my radio in the Ute because I also run an 80 chanel hand held. I'll keep the old 1 though and put it in the paddock basher.

Jeez!..did'nt hear about that change...glad to hear its not going through.. Ive only got the one 40 chanel hand-held...and its unlikely i could afford a new 80!..not without saving for ages...bloody tough with a dream of big toys on a bloody pension budget..hehe..and a missus whose favourite saying is"whad'ya want that for..yer never get enough gold! :rolleyes:

reefer said:
Jeez!..did'nt hear about that change...glad to hear its not going through.. Ive only got the one 40 chanel hand-held...and its unlikely i could afford a new 80!..not without saving for ages...bloody tough with a dream of big toys on a bloody pension budget..hehe..and a missus whose favourite saying is"whad'ya want that for..yer never get enough gold! :rolleyes:
Hi reefer
I am getting a new one soon do you want my old one well its not that old but just not what i want

mate..i would be greatly appreciative of your offer..how would we arrange such a kind act :eek:

My radio is under the seat, remote head in the stowage between the seats. Just one problem with it, when I dropped into a puddle it was almost in the water.

reefer said:
AAaahh....crackle....zzzzz. reefer to y'all!.....thank y'all for your input you good old boys you! Ain't nobody gonna stop me now!..zzzzz 10/4 y'all. :cool:

A pair of hand helds were compulsory for me and the wife whilst detecting in WA, usually a couple of kms apart when wildcatting. A little coded message that meant "found some yellow stuff", or even just a call to tucker. Also, great to put on scan when others encroach on your space ...listen in and hear them discussing you. We did that often, good fun.

Now I have to get enough posts up so I can advertise my Whites Oz Pro, gps, cbs, coils etc we have sold our 45's and no more detecting for us. Goanna cruise instead.
Good luck for 2017.
Johnno

If you guys ever think nuclear war could break out , grab as many UHF or VHF radios and rechargeable batteries as you can and put them in a faraday box to protect them from damage by EMP weapons.

Why ?

Assuming there are survivors ..... there will be no internet , no electricity grid , no mobile phones or phone network and it would be 6 - 24 months before any of it gets repaired.

It would take only 2 high altitude nukes (atmospheric) to wipe out all electronics in Australia.

And guess what ....pine gap would be at the top of the list for other countries to target with nukes , along with 2-3 locations in the US .

Your radios would be worth pure gold.

Hope it never happens ... But it doesn't hurt to have a plan .

I am new to radio , although I used to have a global roaming valve radio when I was a kid that I could pick up stations on from all over the world , Tokyo , Alaska , UK , Ecuador . Lots of fun

I just bought a 400 - 470 MHz simoco SRM9000 very cheap which could be upgraded to 25 watts "if used in the right country where it's legal to" but I want to study this topic more and get a global roamer that will pick up everything (RX only if need be )

What picks up 400 channels tath ?

Very versatile radio. :)
On the back there is a model number apart from it being a SRM9000
I take it you want to use it for UHF CB purposes.
It can be programmed for other frequencies that you need a license for.
I have a few earlier models programmed for 4 sets of 40 Channel CB.
1 set is low power, Next is same but first 7 is duplex for repeater use,
Then next set is high power followed by another lot that is high power for duplex.
I am aware of the legal side of things but when you are in a sticky situation,
The Radio is only used in High Power for emergency reasons.
The RX side is programmed for scanning the 1st and second set only and I can select
what Channel sets I want to scan by either selecting or deselecting a particular Channel.
Always remember that a TX Radio is only as good as it's receiver.
And the Antenna.

HeadsUp said:
If you guys ever think nuclear war could break out , grab as many UHF or VHF radios and rechargeable batteries as you can and put them in a faraday box to protect them from damage by EMP weapons.

Why ?

Assuming there are survivors ..... there will be no internet , no electricity grid , no mobile phones or phone network and it would be 6 - 24 months before any of it gets repaired.

It would take only 2 high altitude nukes (atmospheric) to wipe out all electronics in Australia.

And guess what ....pine gap would be at the top of the list for other countries to target with nukes , along with 2-3 locations in the US .

Probably cheaper to put your arse in a pair of Mr Faradays underpants so you don't get radiation sickness when you kiss it good bye

madtuna said:
HeadsUp said:

Why ?

Probably cheaper to put your arse in a pair of Mr Faradays underpants so you don't get radiation sickness when you kiss it good bye

nah mate. cheapest option is to buy Potassium Iodide tablets from ebay ( Israeli stores are cheapest) and take one per day for 10 days straight if a nuke lands anywhere globally. that will protect you from radiation sickness .

At $ 17 per pack its way cheaper than Faraday underpants

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iOSAT-Po...034372?hash=item417eab5ec4:g:EVsAAOxyCGNTN-ey

ps you can sell your leftover iodide tablets after the war .... but as for your faraday underpants who would want to buy second hand undies especially after you kak yourself watching the bombz going off ?

Rockhunter62 said:
Might need a fairly big faraday box as you will also have to put your battery charger and generator in there as well. Or just have your prepper's bunker totally shielded. 8)

Cheers

Doug

for many european countries it is compulsory for every home to have its own bom b shelter , and that it be stocked with food and water.

yet here there is more chance that council would block you from building one if you asked.

farknee indeed.

reefer said:
AAaahh....crackle....zzzzz. reefer to y'all!.....thank y'all for your input you good old boys you! Ain't nobody gonna stop me now!..zzzzz 10/4 y'all. :cool:
Hey Reefer, how did you get that photo of me as your avatar ! Jut joking ... but the likeness is good

HEHE...well we must look alike then..i thought it was a good likeness of me as well :cool: 10/4 y'all.

Latest posts