Amplifier/speaker/signal booster information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many are using a booster and does it make a difference to say my machine the 4500 that has an inbuilt amp? What's the best one out there guys?

Useless piece of kit..Extra rubbish to carry around..Why turn your volume on the detector down and then turn up the volume on the booster..I never wear headphones because I like to know whats going on around me..

Baldy said:
Useless piece of kit..Extra rubbish to carry around..Why turn your volume on the detector down and then turn up the volume on the booster..I never wear headphones because I like to know whats going on around me..

The simple answer is turning up the volume in the machine also increases the effect from emi etc while boosting the signal outside the machine doesn't

The simple answer is turning up the volume in the machine also increases the effect from emi etc while boosting the signal outside the machine doesn't....Not convinced about that..I would think the balance of EMI and detector noise would be the same..When you turn down the volume of your detector you turn down both EMI and detector..and boosting from another amplified source would just turn them both up again in the same ratio to each other the Amplifier is not a EMI filter..

Hi Robbo,
I use a booster on all machines and wouldnt be without one, especially if using external speakers.

Another bonus is having instant control at your fingertips instead of having to access the detectors menu. You can kill sound instantly without turning off the machine.

Ive used most and cant recommend highly enough the SP01. By far the best stand alone booster Ive used for both quality and clarity.

I have used a B&Z booster for sometime. Really helps highlight those changes in signal.
I would not work without one. But depends on hearing and practice.
And yes it is something extra to carry, but they are very small. Battery life is amazing.

I tell you what when you walk over some gold it really stands out. But that is just my choice.

Nenads little beast it amazing but there is a cost.

Cheers

This might be a stupid question but has anyone ever thought of connecting a graphic equalizer to the sound?An EQ is used to change the frequency response, or in other words the tone of a sound. It can be used to give more bass, less bass, more treble, etc. You could tone down the sounds you didn`t want.

jahan said:
This might be a stupid question but has anyone ever thought of connecting a graphic equalizer to the sound?An EQ is used to change the frequency response, or in other words the tone of a sound. It can be used to give more bass, less bass, more treble, etc. You could tone down the sounds you didn`t want.

I asked SteelPat whether the SteelPhase amp changed the frequency response and added a touch of compression and basically he said it does but he didn't want to get into specifics, which I can totally understand. So yes it has been thought of and implemented in a basic yet effective way. :Y:

jahan said:

Problem with that is I cant tell the difference between lead and gold and if you more power too you as goldand lead sound the same very small difference.PP

Thanks Heatho.

Pirate pete, I can`t tell the difference either. Some musicians prob could they have a great ear for sound. It amazes me to watch them tune their guitar by ear, to me it sounds good but not to them.

I play guitar and tune it by ear. Dont know if that helps me in the field tho. There is a guy on fb selling a booster called gold snitch. It's cheap at 130 bucks. I'm tempted to get it but I know nothing about boosters. Will be heading out with an experienced detectorist in two weeks who will bring his steel phase. So I will put it to the test then. Will get back to you with my findings

More Leadshot said:
Running a B&Z Booster and twin speakers with my GPZ7000 and love it. Run volume limit at 3 and booster flat out, makes machine run so much smoother.
Works for me.
Cheers Jamie
Similar...my booster is half way usually with the same volume limit, threshold on 25. I turn the booster up when the wind blows :)
Speakers positioned both sides of the harness just under my ears :)

jahan said:

Its not a stupid question. Its one I asked myself a few years ago when I first started playing with the audio in regards to detectors. I found its not really about changing tones. Its more about trying to put a more defined edge on faint targets as well as lifting the level so you dont walk past them.