Macleay Valley prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any creeks worth panning in the Macleay Valley? I have seen old newspaper articles where it describes people panning in the creeks of the Upper Macleay but didn't mention specifics. Could someone help me out?
Cheers

There is areas in the Carrai that were worked for alluvial gold but honestly you'd be better off jumping in the car and heading to Uralla, Bakers CK, Coffs etc
Might get some super fine alluvial in some creeks but for the most part the Macleay where it is called the Macleay has no gold etc. Are you in Kempsey or surrounds?

HI Ben78, I'm down near Smithtown. I have read some stuff about Carrai Plateau, and I was told by this guy down the road that the is a little around up there, but the effort out weighs the results. I have read a few things about Coffs (Coramba, Glenreagh etc), and will definitely check these spots out. My wife is itching to check out Uralla. Never been there but would love to do the Fossickers Way especially before it gets too cold. I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks Ben

Hi Jay & Ben,

I live in Kempsey and have been through Carrai etc and have no colour to show for it. I did find a creeek up past the Forestry huts that had Topaz in it though. There has to be gold etc up there but I agree with Ben. Better off heading to Uralla etc. Nice drive and much easier to get some colour in your pan!

Mick

jay said:
My wife is itching to check out Uralla. Never been there but would love to do the Fossickers Way especially before it gets too cold. I will let you know how I get on.

Uralla designated fossicking spot isn't too bad. The gold is fine but easy to come by. The creeks up this way are leech and funnelweb infested but the gold is there if you are prepared to dig.

Mick, when are you planning your next Tibooburra trip?

Yes there is Gold in small amounts in Sandy Creek Carrai Plateau but you will have to walk from Felters Cteek crossing as there are Steel Posts across the track.
Don

Hi
The headwaters of Sandy Creek Carrai Plateau has plenty of small particles of Gold and Large amounts of Cassiterite (TIN).
If you want better results for Gold then go to Cells Creek Gold mines off the Oxley Highway where there are plenty of locations and some good places for a small dredge.
The Old Dumps near the old Weabonga near Niangala NSW Gold Mines are worth looking at as well.
Gemstones and minerals also can be found at Kookabookra NSW on the Sara River.
Regards
Don

donny-777 said:
Hi
The headwaters of Sandy Creek Carrai Plateau has plenty of small particles of Gold and Large amounts of Cassiterite (TIN).
If you want better results for Gold then go to Cells Creek Gold mines off the Oxley Highway where there are plenty of locations and some good places for a small dredge.
The Old Dumps near the old Weabonga near Niangala NSW Gold Mines are worth looking at as well.
Regards
Don
Cells Creek Gold mine,s ( Dont think you can use a small DREDGE ) there .
Dont think you can use a DREDGE any were . maybe im wrong ?
:)

donny-777 said:
Hi
Regards
Don

Sounds like you have put some miles into the area Don, what sort of gemstones have you pulled out of Kookabrookra?

Being close to my brothers place, I might have to give the Sara River a go one day.

I have heard of good gemstone in the creek near tennis courts at Kookabookra but I only found Tin.
Bear Hill Gold Mine area would be great if you can get there but the owner has locked all the gates.
Sandy Creek Carrai Plateau is ok for small gold specks but National Park has installed Iron Posts so you will have to walk from Felters Creek.
Don

I'd be wary of fossicking in that area as it seems to be a lot of National Park or State Conservation Area which is no fossicking or metal detecting allowed.
Dredging isn't allowed anywhere in NSW as a hobbyist prospector or fossicker.

Just heard via another forum that some one has put rocks in the entrance to Kookabookra Fossicking Reserve aa well as 5 Signs stating Trespassers will be Prosecuted Without Permission". :mad:
Local council is about to investigate.

I'm from Kempsey originally as well. A mate and I used to go up past the Daisy huts, I'm guessing to Three Rock Plain Creek? and Carrol's Creek? with home made river sluices and rocker box cradles :p . It was back in the 90's but yeah it's nice up there and we used to find gems and some gold. We would camp up there a few times a year for around 2 weeks and in that time we would do pretty well. Was easy to put in 12 hour days on a shovel when we were 18 or 20 hehe.

Hi
There is small flakes of Gold and Tin in Sandy Creek Carrai Plateau and also in the nearby smamps.
You will also find an interesting Crater or Meteor Site that was used by the Aboriginals many years ago.
The track is all overgrown now but if you are a keen bushwalker you will find it the end of Middle Creek Trail where the old Tin mines were operating many years ago.
Have a look on Google Earth and you will find the Big Circle Crater Site and on the Rocky outcrops you will find many carvings.
Don
:cool:

Latest posts