help with a gravel bar

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a nice gravel bar its about 10 metres long 3 metres wide in the middle and about half a metre high all on top of nice bed rock,

how would you guys tackle sampling this gravel bar with a pan???
start at the middle dig half foot at a time till you hit bed rock, start at the end corner only go half foot, take about half foot off then test???

any help on how you more experience guys would tackle this gravel bar will be a great help..

Cheers

Hey Ben,
I haven't watched it yet, but adventure gold, on youtube just released a video on working the tail end of a gravel bend. This might give you some insight.

His last couple of videos had some great stuff on sampling along the river, looking at the type of rocks, where and how often he sampled, what to look for, why it settled etc. Excellent stuff.

brendomac said:
Hey Ben,
I haven't watched it yet, but adventure gold, on youtube just released a video on working the tail end of a gravel bend. This might give you some insight.

His last couple of videos had some great stuff on sampling along the river, looking at the type of rocks, where and how often he sampled, what to look for, why it settled etc. Excellent stuff.
Hmm will have to have a watch of that :cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/19andrew72

Well, I just watched the vid. It's not specific on how to sample (his other videos are), but it is absolutely awesome to watch it if you want tips on gravel bars and how rivers drop gold. I'll be watching it again, I have so much to learn...

Sorry, I didn't post the link before, but here it is.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/NoOK097ubO8[/video]

his videos go well ... His highbanker looks like a pain in the arse to use but. Needs a hopper redesign

It's interesting watching how he dumps gravel into the banker, it completely stops the flow of water for a few seconds. I always thought that was a bad idea, more so with cross riffles and carpet, but maybe it's less of a worry with miners moss.

Latest posts