your thoughts on expanded metal (catwalk) on a sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True but, It causes the water to dam up behind it.
Just maintain aprox 15 mm of water over the top of them. :)

Old Tath is a cagey bugger, you are lucky to get that pic. Looks like the first one is almost 90, then they taper progressively.
Save the pic and zoom in on it.

BTW sorry for calling you "old"

I use the same 25mm aluminum expanded cat walk mesh as wal, it can be hard to source. I have two of these running at two different heights of the base. No carprt, moss, rifflels etc. Just two traps!!!! Little fall is needed, and near idiot proof. I can empty, clean out and reassemble in under ten minutes. The first trap always holds 99% of the gold. Originally it was 1200mm long, and now its just 600mm long. I'd chop it down two 300mm!!! Except I need it to keep sturdy for the 600mm teared hopper.
Am I loosing gold?.......... one always worries a tad about this.
If I was only catching 70% of the gold in the first stage of my two traps, this would surely mean that in the secound trap, I would be catching 70% of the 30% I missed from the first trap!!!
But I only ever get a spec in the 2nd trap.
Open to discussion.
Understand that the mesh works as a baffle, and not so much as a low pressure, vortex system.

I use the same 25mm aluminum expanded cat walk mesh as wal, it can be hard to source. I have two of these running at two different heights off the base. No carprt, moss, riffles etc. Just two traps!!!! Little fall is needed, and near idiot proof. I can empty, clean out and reassemble in under ten minutes. The first trap always holds 99% of the gold. Originally it was 1200mm long, and now its just 600mm long. I'd chop it down to 300mm!!! Except I need it to keep sturdy for the 600mm teared hopper.
Am I loosing gold?.......... one always worries a tad about this.
If I was only catching 70% of the gold in the first stage of my two traps, this would surely mean that in the secound trap, I would be catching 70% of the 30% I missed from the first trap!!!
But I only ever get a spec in the 2nd trap.
Open to discussion.
Understand that the mesh works as a baffle, and not so much as a low pressure, vortex system.