Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so new 8'' mono cover $20 ........ new SDC coil cover $18
1485414735_20170126_173802.jpg

Cut slits into side with Dremal heated up with lighter and pressed flatish with piece of wood
1485414798_20170126_175120.jpg

Seems to fit very well .... But could not heat very well with lighter as caught fire a few times :eek: . I have No hair so no hair drier :lol:
For $2 more it want to last a lot longer ....... After the effort and burning my Thumb before getting a piece of wood :(
1485415144_20170126_175609.jpg

Anyway we will see :D

Just received my SDC and had the first swing on the beach today ( tide / rain and heat cut me Short )
stable as in the lower normals and salt sens. dug to ring pulls easily 20cm deep and obvious signals too , was surprisingly deep i was worried it was a false signal as the surf was only a few meters away but the signals were that clear i kept digging .
Ive been useing the eurwka gold tho so anywhere near the wet and it will go hay wire so i have been easily pleased with the SDC today .

Things i noted ....

Tape up the coil plate good , sand all through the skid plate pain in the butt to clean out

Two deep screw holes on the bottom on the coil near the kneck / edge of skid plate - pluged up with two car bleed nipple rubber covers . full of sand and the thought of the salty corossive sand in there made me cringe .

Take a pin pointer , the holes were getting the deep and pin pointer would have helped

Be prepared to dig up alot of trash with no iron reject and discrimination you'll hear everything but im sure you'll get some goodies too .

I didnt get the SDC for beach hunts but i'll use it there , not in the water but nice to be on the cooler wet sand now .

Good luck

Ive only just got the SDC after i got the bug using the Eureka both on goldfields and the beach ( dry sand only ) but took it to the beach today and had a similar experience with ring pulls , very deep but very clear signals !

I told my GF i need another detector for coin shooting at the beach and parks , i think she thought i was joking :lol:

I wouldn't tape up the plate as any water gets in makes it harder to get out and you will probably find the sand will still find it's way in. You will find the shaft will fill with water also, just stand beside car for a few minutes vertical before putting in as you will be surprised at how much water the shaft can hold.................... simply take of skid plate after use and rinse out . Basically just use it and then hose it down ....................... just not with a pressure washer type force :)

No issue giving the little blue baby a bath :) :) :) ......................... you have three years of warranty to claim against any problem ? The whole machines good for 3 metres just make sure battery compartment is set up right .................... think of all those yellow bits laying in the creek beds . There is a guy in NZ I believe takes his along the creek beds with a snorkel and a water proof set of head phones.

Good point mate , saying that if it was a nice fresh water creek and looking good for the yellow stuff id give it a dip for sure .
I live in the north west of Wa in broome and im a mechanic so get to see what the salt does to all the cars and machinery that touch it , i envy the blokes who can afford to launch there boat with a shiney new 200series landcruiser.

3yr warrenty :cool:

Chriso .................. same trade and I'm on Fraser Island every second week and have a 4B truck I built just for that reason ..................... just swap the bodies out every two or three years ;) Wouldn't take my good one near it :D
What salt water ?????????? :rolleyes:

1485654858_rainbow_beach_1.jpg

Trev111 cannot see why the SDC would not work well at the beach.
I seem to recall a guy in the states was doing well with the SDC.
Just need to use it in Salt Mode.
Best of Luck. :)

Chriso1988 said:
Nice Bogger you lucky bugger would love to move over east especially QLD !

Chriso it's a nice part of the world ;)

So we don't stray of topic Trev111 an SDC is as much at home on the beach as a bucket and spade :eek: :D :D :D In fact I'm taking mine for a swim tomorrow ;)

1485666441_who_s_lookin_at_ya_cows_1.jpg

Yeh sorry trev , digressing slightly. Im taking my SDC and pinpointer out tonight .

It ran smooth as for me on normal 1-2 and salt 1-2 the other day will try different patches , wetness ect and report back , definitely worth a shot mate its good fun on the beach , and always good to test your detector on different grounds ect

cazalla said:
I was using salt 1 and salt 2 near and in the water, the normal setting and the other way seemed to get a bit noisy, figured I should've mentioned that earlier.

I found beach detecting fun, not sure if I'll get into it but I'll definitely do more research when I get home. The only thing I didn't like though is that it isn't as solitary as going bush to detect for gold is. Half the reason I enjoy the hobby is so I can be on my own and I didn't like the attention I was attracting from people having a look at what I was doing. I get why, but as I've read elsewhere here, apparently sometimes you even get people coming up to you asking questions or even harassing you.. I understand why, I just like to be left alone while detecting :)

I find detecting the beach at night the go ...nobody around at 9pm and later ... the whole beach to yourself and by the time you get back everyone is fast asleep and the Mrs has no idea how much time you spent out there!

similar results with my PI Same as Paulmarr night time/early mornings are the go

Keep going the Good stuff will come

A proper scoop will aid the recovery especially in the water dont waste your time on anything else

I went from a PI detector at the beach to a multi-frequency detector, and it made the whole experience a lot more enjoyable. Simply too much time is wasted digging deep, and not to mention, very small junk targets on a PI, especially if you only have a short window of time between tides to target low tide flats and gutters.

As Paul mentioned, night time usually provides an empty beach, and not to mention coinciding with some of the lowest tides. :)

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK ON THE SD. i,LL BE GIVING IT A GO SOON AND I,LL REPORT BACK
Trev

Goldpick said:
I went from a PI detector at the beach to a multi-frequency detector, and it made the whole experience a lot more enjoyable. Simply too much time is wasted digging deep, and not to mention, very small junk targets on a PI, especially if you only have a short window of time between tides to target low tide flats and gutters.

As Paul mentioned, night time usually provides an empty beach, and not to mention coinciding with some of the lowest tides. :)

Hi GP

I have noticed the low tides at night are at their lowest in winter - while in summer the lowest tides are in the day

Yes, I frustratingly noticed that that last time I was up in Adelaide (hate beach detecting during te day), though I am basing the night/low tide scenario on the more fruitful winter months when there is more significant erosion, gutters etc, plus older finds. ;)

I'm curious what you guys think a fair price would be for a year old sdc 2300? I'm likely going to buy a 7000 and I'm trying to gauge whether it would be worth my while to hold onto the 2300 or just sell it to recoup some of the cost towards the 7000. I paid something like 3600, so I would think something in the range of 2500-3100 would be ideal, has 2 years remaining on the warranty.

Let me know what you guys think. I'd actually keep it if my son was a bit older, but he won't be able to come detecting for maybe another 4-5 years yet so would be pointless holding onto it for just him.

Latest posts