DIY Plug Digga Spade plans with stick on template and instructions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greenhornet_au said:
Hi Caparobertsan,

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it.

Good job there, bet you were pumped after finishing that. :)

A few posts earlier I advised how to get a drill bit that will drill the hardened steel of the spade.

But you worked it out, thats the great thing with a good DIY project, nothing ever really stops you.

Usually I would grind the sharpened edge on the front of the blade, but it should make no major difference,
frankly never have ground it on the back to try it. ;)

Tell me how it cuts after you use it please.

Spades -
When I chased Bunnings here, I had to go to 3 different stores and just found a couple of those cheapies,
apparently they are occasional specials, a couple of times a year, and sell out fast.
One store said they only got 3 into stock! Hmmmm.... :(

Hello Green hornet
Thanks for your reply! Yes I did not grind the other side because that famous Lesche Digging Too has only one side is sharpen.... I have not used it yet to dig for metal detecting but I made holes in my backyard lawn.... for no reason but just try it out. It cuts of but lawn is soft so I am not sure how it perform in real situations. But I am sure I will be making another ones.... I do`nt know why I thrive on making or modifying things and little project like these! I was not aware how much noise I was making during the process because I was wearing eye muff. Neighbor from hell, I hope not!
Thank you!!!

Hi Caparobertsan,

I am not sure you understand me, I recommended to grind an edge only on the front side, not the back, in my DIY.

I love that you are so keen you tried it out on the lawn, LOL that is so good, a man needs to prove his tools and test them
out as soon as possible.
I DID exactly the same thing with my first plug digga !

I think they are perfect for planting pot plants, dig a plug - put in pot plant - back fill what is needed.
They are great for removing weeds too, the point gets into the soil very well to cut the roots out.

Neighbour from hell, I doubt it, you did a small job and got a great return, if the neighbour complains ask nicely to show them
what you made and offer to make one for them too as a great garden tool for them.
Be enthusiastic, if they accept they will never complain again, and if they dont accept, they will likely not complain again
because they know it is a hobby and the noise wont last long while you are doing something productive. :)

Greenhornet_au said:
Hi Caparobertsan,

I am not sure you understand me, I recommended to grind an edge only on the front side, not the back, in my DIY.

I love that you are so keen you tried it out on the lawn, LOL that is so good, a man needs to prove his tools and test them
out as soon as possible.
I DID exactly the same thing with my first plug digga !

I think they are perfect for planting pot plants, dig a plug - put in pot plant - back fill what is needed.
They are great for removing weeds too, the point gets into the soil very well to cut the roots out.

Neighbour from hell, I doubt it, you did a small job and got a great return, if the neighbour complains ask nicely to show them
what you made and offer to make one for them too as a great garden tool for them.
Be enthusiastic, if they accept they will never complain again, and if they dont accept, they will likely not complain again
because they know it is a hobby and the noise wont last long while you are doing something productive. :)

Ahhh, Green Hornet Yes yes I looked your photo closely 8) and I see it. Oh well never mind. :eek: I am so keen to go for proper dig now!
Thank you!!!

Hello, all I have also made a sheath for it with scrap leather bought from Sunday market..... Protect my investment...!? :D Thank you!
1485829297_img_20170130_210703.jpg

1485829298_img_20170130_210724.jpg

1485829299_img_20170130_210758.jpg

Thanks guys! I enjoyed making this as well! I used shovel as template for the cover. It is bit tight but it should stretch.
Gosh I should be out there digging already! I just thrive on projects! :D
Thank you!

So the weather is a bit cooler and I had 3 spades to make for friends.
All short D handle spades.

I used spray 'contact adhesive' direct onto the back of the spade, cut out the template and stuck it on.

Out with the 1.6mm blade on the battery grinder.

Cut off the main bits and did Caparobertsan's trick of just making the cuts and snapping off the waste for the cutting teeth,
grind a little to clean the shape.

Flap wheel on grinder, shaped the beveled cutting edge on the spade.

Grabbed the hose and just hosed off the template paper.

I never imagined that I could do this in less than 7 minutes per spade !!
I just cant believe it was so quick, so glad I made that template.
And Capa's process 'innovation' with the cutting teeth was the bee's knee's for speed, :party:

I have been digging with it and it cut well. But I might make the point bit sharper so it can go in to ground much easier. It is a fun to make!!! I bought another shovel with broken handle. This one is made in oz but old and rusty= perfect for this project! I have not found Silver coin as yet.....

caparobertsan said:
I have been digging with it and it cut well. But I might make the point bit sharper so it can go in to ground much easier. It is a fun to make!!! I bought another shovel with broken handle. This one is made in oz but old and rusty= perfect for this project! I have not found Silver coin as yet.....

A short handled spade is harder to penetrate soils than a longer handle, your point looks sharp enough.

I started with short D handle spades but found the long handle to be far better for stability to dig, mass of the spade to help dig,
leverage to lift the plug, and even root cutting too, but above all no back bending stresses, no kneeling.

In dry compacted and or stoney dirt, you need a pick to start usually.
But I have even broken through those surfaces by 'jabbing' at the surface, just up and down stabbing the point into the surface
to loosen it before using the spade more normally.

Pic's up today of the latest spades.

The latest ones.

Two are of a blade type with a long center ridge, I cut them lower so the ridge was not into the ground when digging.
The ridge is there to stiffen the spade blade as it was thinner and longer.

The third one is the usual flat 2.5mm blade thickness so it doesnt need the ridge so much.

Still cant believe about 7 minutes each to do, once you are set up of course.

1487548358_img_0349.jpg

Great looking diggers for out in the countryside, but may shock a few park goers in town, especially if the plugs are made messy by newbies to the hobby more intent on the score than on the etiquette required to maintain an unfailing example to one and all of the high standard of conduct we all strive to maintain so others see us and can appreciate what we do for and within our respective comunities, would be alright in the hands of seasoned operators used to propper detecting conduct in public places
Just thought I'd make mention of that fact for anyone new to the hobby thinking of treasure hunting. Right tool for the job in that thick matted grass that won't allow a digger through, but it would attract the attention of any park workers within cooee with thoughts of irrigation pipes on their minds, especially if it was made with a long blade for digging deep. :)

Absolutely correct Silver.

I made these for -
A land owner that wants to search his 1910 Urban land himself - has a PI Chinese detector, no tools, 4 acres
A mate that does beaches and his land too, he is considerate of public lands.
My Father in-law for his garden as they are great for putting in potted flowers to a flower bed, and getting out the weeds too.

We need to use these tools very carefully, many people will panic because they look aggressive to use.

I never use one without trying other means to recover a target first, and never in a manicured area, always think about what impression it gives to see a 'Detectorist' with a sharp spade in a park digging hole after hole.

Learn recovery technique first, as it is rare to need one of these, in scrub it is a go to tool, like a pick in hard soils, BUT in lawned public parks I get away with
popping the soil and a pin pointer pretty much full time.

Park tools are usually - a hand digger, and a pin pointer.
My 12yr old and I both dont actually need to dig holes or plugs generally, and it is then invisible to other park users when pressed down, bonus is the grass stays alive and we look good to the average punter watching us.

We have to 'play smart' or lose the hobby.

1487567235_digger.jpg

Someone mentioned to choose time as well. Early morning on weekend is good. I also thought midday at park no one is there! Most of people are working.
I try to open detector first then take out digging tool. Because digging tool looks like a Rambo knife.
I used spade on the farm near my house yesterday. I only saw a couple of people. I also found my first one half pennies. 1922 and 1927!
1487570828_img_20170219_130850_1.jpg
:lol:

No scratches on the coins either, congrats on the score ! :p
you should put these photo's on your go find thread as well, as people will be interested to follow your hunts Capa. :D

Good finds Capa.

I would love to follow your digs on the 'Members Finds' threads, that where we post or digs, and in my case, "pull rings and tabs" - LOL

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=89

Just start a new thread under your Name, and post your finds there so it is easy to locate your discoveries.
Sounds like your spade did its job well, excellent.

:Y:

Greenhornet_au said:
Good finds Capa.

I would love to follow your digs on the 'Members Finds' threads, that where we post or digs, and in my case, "pull rings and tabs" - LOL

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=89

Just start a new thread under your Name, and post your finds there so it is easy to locate your discoveries.
Sounds like your spade did its job well, excellent.

:Y:
Capa has a finds thread already started Gh. :Y: :D
Here's the link to it.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=305775#p305775

G'day hyperscott

I make knives and do all the heat treatments myself and can tell you that you will ruin the steel on your spade if you try to harden and temper yourself.
The steel in the spades are already treated and will be a medium carbon steel.

If you really feel the need to do it yourself you are going to have to heat the blade in a large fire or forge until it's just past cherry red ( or non magnetic, test with a magnet on a stick )
If you want to make it harder than what it was, quench it in water (ambient temp) but if you quench in oil it will be about the same as it was when you bought it.
Sump oil will not add carbon to the steel, that happens at a molecular level.

The easiest way to temper your blade without a furnace, is to crank the oven in your kitchen to about flat out or 300 celsius. Make sure there is no oil or any other contamination on the blade or the missus will tear you a new one! leave the blade to soak in the oven for an hour, take it out and let rest on the sink to cool naturally (best done when missus is away) and you cant go wrong.

Good luck
Darren

Latest posts