GPX5000 Settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bjay and Steve V2, I understand Fine gold and the rest factory, then fiddle with gain and stabiliser? I'm experimenting with different things on the 5000 running the 12evo, I'm finding mostly small bits but haven't tried your idea, I will certainly try that next time out, a bit warm at the moment. Interested to see your settings Steve and KIM-MARGARET, I'll start raising the Evo a bit, I'm normally a scrubber.

I dont have a 5000 I run 4800

I will explain why my settings are working for me at present, where I detect the ground is difficult, many times its been shut it down and give up for the day.

I run the 12 evo front panel General, and enhance my threshold is a touch before half way very low/quiet not by the book but I love the detector running super quiet

RX THIS MORNING ON 4 STABILIZER ON 8 I found 2 small pieces of gold one at about 3 inches and the other about the same

So these settings work for me at this place, maybe not the settings that one would normally run but running my machine quite like this works for me I used these settings at Clermont last year and dug a small specimen at 13 inches with the 12 inch coil.

Spent a few hours out with JP (husband training not me) who was surprised at my settings and low threshold but when I put the detector over a target it was a bit of a surprise at how loud and clear it was. (not to me) Yes it was gold.

I have duel speakers I have sewn them on my harness both at ear level all I have to do is tilt my head and my ear is on top of the speaker.

K-M Im M

And just to show you how diverse and wide the range of settings are on occasions I run {GPX5000}
RX Gain at 19
Stabilizer at 19
Turn threshold off
That is with a rooster booster and one speaker.

Hi KM, are you familiar with Rocky area. A work mate has invited me to detect
On his property just after the Emu park turn off. Apparently he has 30 acres with old diggings on top of a hill and down the side.
Thanks Polky

KIM-MARGARET said:
Hi Dignit

Yes he said not to scrub coil on the ground, a target with the EVo will be clearer if the coil is just above, I suppose meaning as close as you can but not on.

I had a few issues with 12 EVO on the ground, getting a lot of random signals and false interference.

Now a touch of the ground its all gone and targets are much clearer. Rohan did say they work best if they are not touching the ground how high he didn't say so I just go as close as I can without touching.

K-M
K-M
This is really interesting.
I wish they would provide instructions with the coils or at least on their website so we get to know about such recommendations.
I've been considering this exact point as I too struggle with what I call unacceptable chatter even with Rx and Stabiliser down. I know with the GPZ you are not meant to scrub the coil. So was thinking the more sensitive the detection the better it may be to not scrub.
Thanks for sharing.

Dig'n-it said:
KIM-MARGARET said:
Hi Dignit

Yes he said not to scrub coil on the ground, a target with the EVo will be clearer if the coil is just above, I suppose meaning as close as you can but not on.

I had a few issues with 12 EVO on the ground, getting a lot of random signals and false interference.

Now a touch of the ground its all gone and targets are much clearer. Rohan did say they work best if they are not touching the ground how high he didn't say so I just go as close as I can without touching.

K-M
K-M
This is really interesting.
I wish they would provide instructions with the coils or at least on their website so we get to know about such recommendations.
I've been considering this exact point as I too struggle with what I call unacceptable chatter even with Rx and Stabiliser down. I know with the GPZ you are not meant to scrub the coil. So was thinking the more sensitive the detection the better it may be to not scrub.
Thanks for sharing.
This seems to be more of an issue with the newer type mono coils but has always been an issue that is more to do with the ground than anything. Minelab have always recommended for the GPX series to keep the coil as close to the ground as possible but in the manual tips they state:
Minelab GPX5000 Manual said:
In heavily mineralised areas the operator may need to sweep the coil 1020 mm ( 1) above the ground. This should give a more stable Threshold and less ground noise.
This is true for all mono coils not just the newer type. Would be largely dependant on the ground type in a particular area but the newer coils do seem more susceptible to ground effects.

I run a 4500 and have read the instructions back to front many times and not seen this advice. However, I'll check again.
I've always been told to scrub the ground.
This is really helpful information. Thanks for posting it.
This may help me tremendously.
So I wonder what is better, dumb down the machine or lift the coil off the ground to counteract highly mineralised ground.
Cheers

The 5000 info has the same guideline wrt scubbing thr ground, ie try to be close but not quite touching

Steve V2.0 said:
The 5000 info has the same guideline wrt scubbing thr ground, ie try to be close but not quite touching
I'd still scrub the ground where I could get away with it i.e. if the ground isn't saturable/severe but that's just me. Preference to scrub or not scrub will vary between different people but my point above was that sometimes ground/ground conditions &/or coil choice may play a part in that decision or the ability to do it.

mbasko said:
It's in the 4500 manual too. Pages 22 & 89.
Mbasko
You are absolutely correct. The 4500 manual does have it.
There you go, my technique has had a basic flaw in it all along and explains why Im so troubled and frustrated with an unstable threshold.
I've been detecting with the 4500 for 1.25 yrs.
Thanks so much for setting me straight on this.
Somewhere along the line I've been told to scrub. Not sure when or how this occurred. I was convinced in my mind that scrubbing was the correct technique.
But here on I'll swing just above ground and adjust height to severity of mineralization.
A mate of mine has the same machine and coils and finds more gold than me when we are out together. I noticed he swings just above the ground.
This all now makes a lot of sense.
Can't wait to get back out and use the correct technique.
Again thanks so much for setting me straight.
Cheers Dignit aka Andy

Agreed, I'll still scrub if I can get away with it; and coil type, level of mineralization and settings dictate swing height.
The point I've learnt is that swing height is one of the variables to consider when tunning your machine and technique. Previously I never considered lifting the coil off the ground. Now I know it's a variable to adjust accordingly. A good lesson learned.
Cheers :)

Message sent
polky said:
Hi KM, are you familiar with Rocky area. A work mate has invited me to detect
On his property just after the Emu park turn off. Apparently he has 30 acres with old diggings on top of a hill and down the side.
Thanks Polky

Its been a while but finally got around to sharing the settings on my 5000 have been using in the GT.... I started detecting in Nov/Dec 2016. My original post was to help me and others compare settings, coils and
general approach to detecting with a 5000. I promised to share my settings etc so here they are!

Using the standard settings with the following tweaks...
1. Increased the gain by couple of clicks
2. Inverted the audio and keep it medium loud - works for me. I can't get used to the headphones but will keep trying!
3. Swing to slow setting
4. Sometimes use deep setting on Fine
5. Fixed stab and rebalance quite a bit....
6. No auto discrimination
7. Use the above with the Elite and Evo coils
8. My approach is to mark out a 10m x 10m patch and work the area really carefully.
9. Research of the area is vital! I can't stress this enough.
10. I dont scape the ground but lightly brush it - I carry a cheap plastic garden rake to move the loose leaves amd twigs etc before I start.
11. I decided on a handheld gps to document the locations and finds.
12. Call me a nerd but I have a journal for record keeping.... photos are added so I can gather records of old creeks, ground types and general pics of the area.
13. So far 13.5gms from 8 outings.
14. One thing I have found that made me really disappointed... one place I went to had 100s of holes that hadnt been filled in.... pretty poor effort by whoever was previously working the ground. Funny. Ut I did find a nice grammer in one of the holes.... and yes I did fill in most of holes that I saw!

Over the last three months I've been limited to 8 days detecting.... mainly the weather!

Hope this helps!

Steve
That's an awesome result in 8 outings. You are very disciplined.
Do you detect diggings or away from diggings?
Thanks for sharing and well done. Cheers

ASteve V2.0 said:
12. Call me a nerd but I have a journal for record keeping.... photos are added so I can gather records of old creeks, ground types and general pics of the area.
I have the same idea, anyone know of a program or somthing off the net i could input gps off finds and have that overlay on a map to create a database? Could work for my fishing marks also :D

LORD said:
ASteve V2.0 said:
I have the same idea, anyone know of a program or somthing off the net i could input gps off finds and have that overlay on a map to create a database? Could work for my fishing marks also :D

If you want a map, with overlay input, you need a map app like Ozi, Hema etc. There's a heap of threads on here in that area - Gold Maps and Resources

I use a paper based journal and add the coordinates from the GPS. Each has a simple reference number.... 1 2 3 4.... simple system. I then add the reference number to the maps I have. It sounds like a lot of work but it isn't; give it a go. One advantage is that paper can't crash!!!

... and good value! forgot to add that the pics I take go into the journal completing the record of the day

Latest posts