Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Lads
My Daughter (11) and I are looking at going to grabben gullen
Step 1 we have to find it
We have a little idea where it is around a bridge called sapphire bridge
Then what to do after that
We will be taking a back pack PVC sluice I dodged up for the trip with a bilge pump and battery set up to wash
And a few seives
If you have any better instructions please share
I just want to get one stone or fleck of gold for her
More of less this is just a bonding day as she loves the forde and time with Cactus (Pop)
At worst it could just be a road trip Lol

Well I am nearly packed with gear to go to grabben this weekend
Even made a PVC sluice that fits in my back pack with a bilge pump n battery combo to speed up the mud clean up
To tell you the truth we will be happy just to find the place let alone find a small blue rock lol
Miss Guts has been busy fitting out her back pack with resin digging tools
"Because they are much lighter than the other other ones hey dad "lol
She is pumped

this is not fair i am not going so i miss out badly. lots of luck court!!! :p:D :lol:

Best of luck out there Mudguts, we'd normally be out there but we're heading a bit further afield this weekend. Just remember no spinels no sapphires, bounce and shake your sieves to get all the heavies on the bottom and in the middle ;) . We'll probably be out that way next weekend.

Cheers

C&L

Thanks C&L
We have been studying the u toob lessons from WalnLiz
See how we go
We may meet you there in the future
Thanks for your advise :D

Mudguts said:
Well I am nearly packed with gear to go to grabben this weekend
Even made a PVC sluice that fits in my back pack with a bilge pump n battery combo to speed up the mud clean up
To tell you the truth we will be happy just to find the place let alone find a small blue rock lol
Miss Guts has been busy fitting out her back pack with resin digging tools
"Because they are much lighter than the other other ones hey dad "lol
She is pumped

I'm aiming to be out there on Sunday (midday) for a look around too, hope to see you..

All loaded up and ready to go
Should hit the area mid morning and put a few hours in
If any one is in the area come and say G'day
Cheers Mud Guts

Well that was fun
We found the creek
Spoke to some great people
Found some gold with the plastic fantastic sluice
All up 14 specs a bit larger than Oallen flour
And 1 Lille rock that is like glass straight see through
And a few rocks that have a blue/lavender hew about them
One lad said it was quartz dunno Miss Mud Guts likes them
All in all a great day

Hopefully I can get out this way in the near future. Might just sieve for sapphires etc but may try and pan a bit - got to start somewhere.

mudguts that was nice find for the gold,i have been out there 3 times with diy seives found near nothing in gold, more tourmaline and some sapphires, but the clear stuff your finding I have taken alot of that home,I have fosicked in many creeks and never found quartz that clear, looks like diamond with a hue of gold or light blue, very aesthetically pleasing, will be going out there on weekend, but this time using propa seives so now i can see the spinel in the center, not such a toothpick in the haystack

I also have brought some of that "clear" back home...I think it might be clear topaz, I have found pieces with a slight yellow hue, light kero blue and grey. all very clear without cracks or inclusions.
im pretty confident that its not quartz, far too clear for that...have also found a few samples that look very much like busted beer bottles! :mad:

Get any sapphires or zircons Mudguts? Or do only Wal & Liz find those? Where did you end up camping?

Sorry for all the questions but keen to get there myself and camp one day. Cheers

Gg is on my list oneday mudguts and Wal thats a great video
thanks for making the effort.

Hi guys, I've seen a stack of stunning pics from Grabben Gullen. I'm assuming that the majority of those finds were on private property. How do you go about knowing where to go? is it just chatting with the locals and friends? I'd like to make a trip down there but don't have the foggiest where to go.
Cheers guys.

I've never really tried walking too far up either side of the bridge, I went there with a friend yesterday and we only got 1 poor quality stone. There are big ones there but I think it needs a good flood to deposit some more in the main fossicking area.

It's a nice spot for fossicking regardless.

Latest posts