ACE coil problem, maybe repair

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the correct area for this topic move it if needed please.

I have a large coil for my ACE 250 that has given me intermittent loss of signal, I suspect the cable but dont know which end to
consider approaching.

Apart from a continuity test by opening the coil end of the wire and checking back to the plug.

So when this happens, if I bump the coil onto the ground the ACE 250 gives off a 'ding' sound, doesnt do this normally.
I know its a coil / cable issue because I have another NEW large coil that is running fine after the change over.

The old coil has a small chip in the epoxy so the plastic housing is not sealed now where the windings are.

Can some one tell me the impedance for the large coil ?
also the pin out config for the plug ?

OR if they have had the same problem and how it may be fixed ?

I have the tools to do the testing and the work but never worked upon these things and dont really want to trash a coil
just for a look see.

But if I stuff it, its not a huge deal and I will learn something from the event.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=445429

Hi Silver,

I was waiting for some advice or input from hopefully a person that has looked at a coil before,
for the same reasons.

So I have not gone further with it yet.
First place is the connector plug, for loose joints, find which wires are which coil and test continuity thru each.
Compare that to the good coils, if nothing then I guess strip of some sheath near the coil end maybe
or break it open to check the circuit board connections.

Intermittent faults are a huge pain, but it sort of indicates a loose connection. Somewhere.

The spare new coil was put on but currently I am wondering if the rechargeable batteries are effecting my
detector readings -

4x1.2V=4.8v 4x1.5V=6V so it is running a full 1.2V low

The rechargeables are lasting very well.

The spare coil is working fine, but the responses are different as I pass over targets, the batteries are the
possible reason for this, depends what dc volts the circuit needs for full function I suppose.

My double AA come from *********** and they last extreemly well, just normal run of the mill batteries, but they will take 200+ photos in a camera, not just the normal 3 photos from your average batteries. ;)

silver said:
My double AA come from *********** and they last extreemly well, just normal run of the mill batteries, but they will take 200+ photos in a camera, not just the normal 3 photos from your average batteries. ;)

I know that feeling about cameras and batteries!

I will do a side by side test on the Ace with the rechargeable and normal AA, to see if the theory holds up, hope it doesnt or I can adapt.

The coil problem will wait for a bit.

Latest posts