Button Identification

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, :)
Whilst out at Muckleford yesterday I unearthed this button. :D
I found it at the Red, White and Blue Mine site approx. 20meters away from the poppet head. (that is still standing!!!) :eek: :)
Sorry, not the best pics :( 8.(
1483434501_20170103_194853.jpg

1483434414_20170103_194956.jpg

Also, :D
Any ideas on how best to clean it? :8
Or
Do I just leave it as is? :rolleyes: :D

Any help would be appreciated :)

Trevor would be your man. I can say it looks 1800's era. The VR would most likely mean Victoria Regina. Looks like a ships flag but could be an ordinary flag. Haven't seen any military issued buttons in that design so most likely civilian. Nice find.

Re: cleaning....can you tell me what sort of metal it may be made of?

It may be able to be "electro-cleaned"....

If not frangible, it may be able to be just polished with Silvo (less abrasive) or Brasso (if of 'brass' origin)...

If you have an ultrasonic?....

imo....it appears to have a very good strike still, so as a relic, i'm inclined to leave as is..if you sell it, ask the buyer which they prefer, and charge for the time to change it if required. :p

Gypsy

Any ideas about button identification king gee in particular 1gold 4 buttons tally this year

Stans said:
Any ideas about button identification king gee in particular 1gold 4 buttons tally this year

Stans, hopefully you can get a few posts in so that we can see your photos. We found some old Levi buttons about five years ago. They had a center punch mark in the middle and we were told that Levi in the states were asking for information if any of these buttons were found. Information like location, type of area etc. We never followed it up but I'm expect those buttons would still be here somewhere.

Moneybox said:
We found some old Levi buttons about five years ago. They had a center punch mark in the middle and we were told that Levi in the states were asking for information if any of these buttons were found. Information like location, type of area etc. We never followed it up but I'm expect those buttons would still be here somewhere.

I have been finding quite a few Levi buttons in South Australia, around Moonta, Burra and all areas around there. Quite common around those mining areas.

I have stopped keeping them, they are like ring pulls now. Just a common find.