Cleaning a pocket watch... again.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A different watch, this time a complete one. This is the watch Rocket and I found with the XP Deus and I would like to try open it up to see if there are any hallmarks, engraving etc. It's had a little soak in olive oil and I was thinking of trying to remove some of the rusted iron with a bit of electrolysis.
Thoughts anyone??

1452374727_20160110_080916_copy.jpg

1452374728_20160110_080925_copy.jpg

1452374729_20160110_080940_copy.jpg

1452374730_20160110_080953_copy.jpg

I have cleaned a few plated ones and they have all fallen apart as the corrosion had got into the joints and cracks 8.(

The silver hallmarks on the one I found on the same day as your fantastic find are on the inside of the decorative plate. The pin is brass and did not survive the years of crushing. With care I can't see why yours could not be opened up as it looks in good condition. I loosened the pin on one of my plated watches with WD40, it also penetrated the dirt enough for a toothpick to remove it.

Pretty sure yours, like my recent one, is 0800 Swiss Silver or 80% and a rub with bicarb paste will have that silver shining like new.

Good luck. :cool:

1452378829_image.jpg

I have a rust converter I use which you immerse the item in but the drawback is once it restores everything (can get intricate parts moving and all just reverses the oxidation) any exposed metals will re rust albeit slowly. Awesome for car parts, pumps etc that you can paint again but not so good for pocket watches.

It has come a long way already RJ, outsides looking great for details ! 8) :cool:

:D ...next step when it's cleaned....send it to me to get the 24K treatment (or re-silvered) ;) 8) :cool:
(see signature...Mods, remove if considered "touting" :D )

BTW, have you managed to find any ID or Hallmarks???

Slow as it has been, it appears to be doing a good job. I would imagine anything that gave instant results, would also likely 'lose' you some detail or feature....so well done getting it this far.

Cheers
Gypsy

My brother told me that the makers mark should be on that bigger plate, bottom left usually (he was a watch repairer for a while) but i dont know if all marks were there. I can sort of see a hint of some markings maybe coming out? Or might just be two scratches.. Shes a rippa of a chronosphere RJ!! :D :)

The molasses really works well hey, i still havnt tried but have a whole bucket of the stuff waiting. Is it 10part water / 1part molasses or vice versa (though that sounds rather sticky)

Mackka said:
That's coming up real nice RJ. I also had heard of using molasses but that was for improving the coat on horses (mix it in with their drinking water).
Cheers
Mackka

When we were teenagers we had horses and used to mix molasses in with their bran and chaff to give a shiny coat. Love the smell of it too. LOL. I should find a pic of me on my horse, Shah, in the 70's. Good for a giggle.

Best thing I used on a pocket watch I found was an ultrasonic cleaner. It managed to clean out a large percentage of the gunk filling the internals, though you do have to keep in mind that some of the rusted components are all that is holding all the brass internals together. I would expect that the hallmarks would have been on the missing lid, or possibly on the inside of the rear plate (that should be hinged as well to inspect the inner workings/jewels) . Either way, it is definitely silver, not plated. :)

Ramjet said:
Mackka said:
That's coming up real nice RJ. I also had heard of using molasses but that was for improving the coat on horses (mix it in with their drinking water).
Cheers
Mackka

When we were teenagers we had horses and used to mix molasses in with their bran and chaff to give a shiny coat. Love the smell of it too. LOL. I should find a pic of me on my horse, Shah, in the 70's. Good for a giggle.
Your not in your togs are ya ! 8) :eek: :lol:

How about a steam cleaner, the one with the little jet nozzle, 8) big improvement :cool:
or ultra sonic jewellery cleaner maybe with a kero water mix if soapy water doesn't work