John Tully gold maps.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a heads up - JT has a new Inglewood Map book for sale at all the usual Vic dealers for about $20 odd. Good news is - Doug Stones are tres ordiaires - these are quite good. You will still have to do some hard research to pad out the maps, but current users of JT's stuff - you will do OK and know the score.

I am not a business associate of JT, in fact I could have strangled him years ago when he brought out his Dunolly/Taranagulla etc maps.

For the Stone fans out there or the negative feed-back crew - wibble, wibble. (Black Adder fans will appreciate this)

Hey guys, In the research period for finding spots to detect. Hit two spots over christmas and the second one there were holes everywhere! Obviously well hit by someone with a detector with discrimination, cos there was still a bit of iron around.

The Tully maps, and similar are pretty easily accessible, at less than $20 each, I was wondering how hard these areas are hit by detectorists?

Crowdsourcing here, but is it more likely to find gold outside these areas? Maybe in neighbouring areas?

They are most peoples go to maps and mostly all that is available easily to get started on the gold areas.
I use them regularly for reference as in most cases they a reasonably accurate at least at the time they were done. There are many areas that need updating.
But in answer to your question, yes they are very well trodden at least in my experience.
Research will generally give you fresher leads.

GT :)

I use the Tully maps as a baseline to see where gold was found in the past. Then look at the topo maps and try to see if there are areas they may have missed.

Also Geovic had (and I do say had as the latest version 3 doesnt have all the overlays that 2 had) shallow diggings marked - some of which are not on Tully or Stones maps. You can still download the data from the Vic Earth resources site but you will need to convert it to read it.

Yeah I noticed that they have changed the available layers on GEOVIC. At least in the annonymous version. Are they still there in the paid version?

Marauder said:
Yeah I noticed that they have changed the available layers on GEOVIC. At least in the annonymous version. Are they still there in the paid version?

Dont have to pay for the registered version. Just have to register lol. The layers arent there either. I managed to download and convert them before they closed off Ver2 but didnt get all the areas. I have downloaded data for all Vic but its huge and I need to have time to split it up into workable areas.

depends if your just detecting or actually digging a small area up an area then metal detecting what you dig up and backfilling your hole as you go also depends if you go underground like I do its not flogged under your feet yet but you have to remember going underground your taking A LOT MORE risks all the time you also have to know how the ground you go chipping into acts and how it moves if you don't know much about prospecting underground or basic geology of the strata and weak spots in the rock don't attempt to try it

detecting wise unless you rake or go detecting in trashy areas or strait after a big flood/rain you won't find much

Hunting the yellow said:
depends if your just detecting or actually digging a small area up an area then metal detecting what you dig up and backfilling your hole as you go also depends if you go underground like I do its not flogged under your feet yet but you have to remember going underground your taking A LOT MORE risks all the time you also have to know how the ground you go chipping into acts and how it moves if you don't know much about prospecting underground or basic geology of the strata and weak spots in the rock don't attempt to try it

Tully maps are only of the surface workings, haven't heard of him mapping anything underground.

^^^ :D ...as the Tully maps cover the more commonly known goldfields, yes the areas do get a solid workout.

Don't concern yourself though, as I, and many others have found, and continue to find, gold on all the old places.

Now, it might not be big gold, nor a lot of gold, but no-one seems able to get it ALL, so just get out there walking and swinging, the gold will come as a result... ;)

Now,...if your looking for the retirement nugget/patch....then you need to work a bit differently to get that different result.

Hint; Private land, or start a lease and use big yella....

I concede there may still be sizable pieces in the areas covered by Tully, as some do come to light occasionally, but it is less certain than the alternate above imo.

Best advice i ever heard...."You will never, ever know, till YOU give it a go...there are no shortcuts to "riches" where Gold is concerned"...so grab a map, find a locale, and get walking.

Good Luck in your search.

Cheers
Gypsy

SteelPat said:
I use the Tully maps as a baseline to see where gold was found in the past.

Hi there, just a reminder that Tully maps only point out where there are old diggings, not where gold was found.

Redfin said:
SteelPat said:
I use the Tully maps as a baseline to see where gold was found in the past.

Hi there, just a reminder that Tully maps only point out where there are old diggings, not where gold was found.

I wouldn't go that far RF...he has listings of 'some' weights found and where (locations), alongside other local tit-bits of a general historical nature from say, newspapers or mining reports etc. He also shows 'approximate' areas where some of the larger pieces had been found as well..

AS to, does he have ...X marks the gold...well, no. In that you are right.

However, as much as they look like mud-maps...they were put together from GPS plotting, and as such they are a cheap back-up set of maps for 4x4'ing or even just out camping.....and get a little history along the way. :D

Cheers :)
Gypsy

I received my set of John Tully maps today, I plan to use them for cross referencing with the maps I have printed through GeoVic. There seems to be some discrepancies in the worked areas when the two maps are compared, is it just that the GeoVic maps are more detailed or are the Tully maps closer to the truth? I will get the chance to compare them on the ground in a few weeks but knowing in advance will help.

I've come across a few spots that don't match always makes you feel good if they're on Geovic and not on others.
Both are great (much better than the D. Stone offerings) and will put you onto goldfields ....then just have to find some for yourself.
Good luck,
Cheers Tom

I think I have a lot of research in front of me, between the Tully maps, GeoVic and Google Earth I should be able to sort things out.

Latest posts