Starting a River Sluice Build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhbutch

John
Reaction score
Hi all,

After a lot of reading and looking at videos both here and on YouTube I've decided to take the plunge and build a river sluice.

I was going to make it out of aluminium, with a folding steel riffle section that clamped down and was hinged at one end.

Before I jump into the build is there a recommended angle for the riffles, I was thinking of using 25mm flatbar at 45 degress :/ spaced every 80mm for the riffle section.

I was going to use Bunnings V matting for the top inspection and continue it down the length of the sluice with miners moss on top and the riffles to hold it together like a sandwich.

The other way I could go is to use Dream Matting. (Don't know a lot about this product)

Any feedback would be appreciated before I start, if you can think of any good ideas that should be built into a river sluice let me know.

1484532807_image.jpg

Here is some angles for your riffles mate.
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks guys, I'm still gathering info on how best to proceed with the build.

I like the idea of Dream Mat and 8" Outback Pioneer Series Highbanker from Gold Rat I wonder if I can convince my wife to let me buy the High banker :D

I think some more research could be the thing and a beer or two.

jhbutch said:
Thanks guys, I'm still gathering info on how best to proceed with the build.

I like the idea of Dream Mat and 8" Outback Pioneer Series Highbanker from Gold Rat I wonder if I can convince my wife to let me buy the High banker :D

I think some more research could be the thing and a beer or two.
if you want to build your own HB check out the walbanker sticky in this area of the forum or search youtube for walnliz highbanker, they seem to be the gold standard for homemade highbankers at the moment.

Well after some more reading and a number of people suggesting I go with the Dream Mat I ended up purchasing a 10 inch sluice from Gold Rat High bankers.

Dustin is extremely helpful and the sluice arrived overnight from QLD to NSW, the build quality is outstanding all in all an A+++ experience.

Yes, I know I could have made a sluice to start with but after I checked the price of the dream mats then the sluice without legs was only a little dearer so I went and purchased it.

Maybe after I get the hang of using it and start going further afield I will look at a high banker.

For now I am very happy with my purchase and yes it cost me more than I was originally planning to spend but I'm going to find all that gold :lol: ....... well maybe ;)

Good purchase jhbutch, I don't think you can go wrong with Gold Rat equipment. People rave about the quality of Dustin's products.

Latest posts