Angus mackirk backplate idea

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A basic idea for a backplate (for a power sluice conversion) for an Angus mackirk sluice without cutting or adding any holes into the sluice. I was mucking around with metal and this and that and my wife said why not try a pool noodle. For $4, why not.

It might work, I haven't tested it yet... I'll post here with any results.

1485057091_img_20170122_143113.jpg

1485057141_img_20170122_142904-3036x2277.jpg

1485057160_img_20170122_142852-2277x3036.jpg

Yeah brendomac wanted to buy one, but Mackirk sold his business in 2015. Wish I knew then, could have got one.

Wow that's great Roverrock, thanks for posting the pic. Now I've got my thinking hat on... I imagine you wouldn't miss much with that setup.

Hey Cecc, if you are after a AM grubstake, you could try ringing miners den. I've seen before that they have had no stock online, but they had some in the shop.

Ok will try that. Thanks brendomac, and back to the backing, just made one and it leaks a bit out the back, did yours leak and if so how did u fix it?

Hi brendomac, I just tried it and if you put some weight on the noodle, I have a bucket with a slot in the bottom for the water to run out, with a brick in it to hold my hose in it, it seems to seal it off pretty well, works treat, thanks for he Idea.

Thanks Cecc, I haven't tested it out yet, but glad it is working OK for you. My plan was to build a power head similar to what 'Diggin for gold' has in his videos and what Rover has in his pics above. I have to get around to doing that part yet. So hopefully I'll get something sorted in the next couple of weekends.

Maybe a clamp would work too, so long as it didn't squash the noodle too much...

brendomac said:
Thanks Cecc, I haven't tested it out yet, but glad it is working OK for you. My plan was to build a power head similar to what 'Diggin for gold' has in his videos and what Rover has in his pics above. I have to get around to doing that part yet. So hopefully I'll get something sorted in the next couple of weekends.

Maybe a clamp would work too, so long as it didn't squash the noodle too much...

Yeah mucked around a bit with it, first off it was leaking a bit and then I decided to actually put the bucket on it with helped seal all around the entrance to the sluice, job done. I was going to try and do a power head but too much mucking around, plus I don't have a workshop so makes it a bit hard, I will do a video for you and show you what I've done.

Thanks heaps for the video, I really appreciate it. That looks like it works really well with hardly any spill. It's pretty awesome when you consider it's a brick, bucket and pool noodle cutoff!

Thanks again for your help.

My pleasure, it's good to help each other I reckon, glad I could help in some little way. Yeah simple technique but effective.

Cheers Len

Thanks Rover, that is running brilliantly. I also have to appreciate the bilge pump. It seems to supply enough water for you (and Len's). They are less bulky than a dirty water pump or petrol.

Latest posts