Sapphire education

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep bread crate, I take the gold matts out of my sluicy sluice(hard to call it that now as its been highly modified ) , and I keep changing the setup of the crate etc and now I am close to zero loses over the end . I have a combination of patterns cut in the crate and the last 200mm has moss with milk crate on the diagonal .
its catching less junk than ever as you can see its mostly spinal and heavies , only a few small mods after this go and I will be satisfied with the setup.
I wish there was more size and I probably would just work sieves , but if I don't collect all the Barbie doll sized gems I would have nothing to show :lol:
shame the dog tooth was broken as I got a complete one about 50 meters from this spot a year or so ago.

Magnetite :) thanks for that does it have any significance , if I get a large piece could it be cut ?

this is the one from a year or so ago , if you see the tail in the pan above it looks like it would have been a twin to this one
1485066285_img_20151004_170625_009-optimized.jpg

aussiefarmer said:
Feel free to tell me im lazy and go and do my own research ;) =yes :lol:

Are sapphires ever found at the source or only in creek situations ? = YES 8)

Is there a host rock ? I have alwaysi found spinal when i get saphs = yes 8)

Are they from basalt , quarts or slate country ? I am ruling out granit as theres none in the catchment of my honey hole. = ?.? Unclear :rolleyes:

Is it possible they are formed deep below and the springs bring them up ? As the best spots for me are usually 50 to 100 yards below wet areas. = not really is my guess but spring could travel through "pipes" :rolleyes:

95% of my finds are broken and i move upstream they remain broken until i cant find anymore. =? Most finds in show and tell seem broken 8.(

If broken spinal was worth something i would be rich its in greater quantities than black sand at oallen :lol: = is this normal ? :/

Even a link to a easy read that answers all these questions and more would be great.
= some good links provided :D

Quoted myself :lol: :lol:

aussiefarmer said:
yep bread crate, I take the gold matts out of my sluicy sluice(hard to call it that now as its been highly modified ) , and I keep changing the setup of the crate etc and now I am close to zero loses over the end . I have a combination of patterns cut in the crate and the last 200mm has moss with milk crate on the diagonal .
its catching less junk than ever as you can see its mostly spinal and heavies , only a few small mods after this go and I will be satisfied with the setup.
I wish there was more size and I probably would just work sieves , but if I don't collect all the Barbie doll sized gems I would have nothing to show :lol:
shame the dog tooth was broken as I got a complete one about 50 meters from this spot a year or so ago.

Magnetite :) thanks for that does it have any significance , if I get a large piece could it be cut ?

G'day AF, yes you can get large peces of Magnetite and other spinels cut or cabbed. Type in "Magnetite jewellery" into google images and you'll see that there is a lot that can be done with it, though it doesn't cost much to buy, it would cost quite a bit to get anything done with your own pieces.

Looks like your sluice is doing a great job at capturing the stones, plenty of heavies there. Hopefully some bigger stones pop up soon. Even in places like Inverell it can be difficult to get anything of a decent size these days. Nice little dog tooth by the way, if only that were 20ct....... :)

digginhard said:
Ah Wally,do you actually know what that spearhead weights?

Yes I do :D

Feel like I should let the power of magnification alone do justice to this geometric wonder.

.......fine print on the accuracy disclaimer would read about 1ct :8

AtomRat said:
Great topic aussiefarmer, spewin i cant read the. pdfs until i fix other phone
Do you want us to pass the hat around and buy you a nice tablet , i know you have helped others i am sure they would help you.

So whats your take on my questions i know you have a wealth of info rattling around in your head mate ?

Thanks for that info Mr Magoo, very informative.

In my travels over xmas i came across a hillside covered with blue stones that were very hard and made a clinking sound when hit with a small pick.Wondering what type of rocks they are and if they signify the occurrence of gemstones

ray

Latest posts