⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Stopped at Smythesdale for 3 hours yesterday on the way home and managed to snag 4 nice pieces with the largest being 1.4grams, they were all found using the GPZ and 14 inch coil. The settings used were:

High Yield / Difficult / Sensitivity 9 [EMI was very bad] / Volume 4 / Volume Limit 8 / Threshold 25 / Smoothing off.

1484524055_img_20170116_104050_01.jpg

First time to Nundle on the weekend, only a short visit so didn't have high hopes.
Arrived sat morning after an early get away, trip took roughly 3h 40min - but was a nice change heading north for once.

Day one was spent panning and sniping with some pickers found and the odd gemstone also (see alluvial show n tell) as well as exploring the forest at the top of the mountain.

Day two started with some gem hunting but the red clay was damp and wouldn't dry seive at all, one low quality sapphire was found and a few zircons specked off the ground.

Soon the Sdc was unfolded and within 10 minutes of pulling up and second target out came a little 0.16g pale nug
I couldn't belive it really, after hearing of a lot of guys coming home empty handed after days detecting there.
I persisted for a short while longer and pulled 2 speccies showing brilliant colour on multiple areas.
I had to head home on sun night but had a great time at Nundle and will be back for sure.
1484550141_image.jpg

1484550187_image.jpg
1484550217_image.jpg
1484550258_image.jpg
1484550277_image.jpg

Hi Reeks,
Nundle certainly is a nice location, the Hanging Rock area is also a spot worth visiting; make sure you have a current State Forest Fossicking Permit if you are working in the forest proper. Years ago I had just purchased my GPX5000 and found my first little nuggie after a couple of days detecting as a total newbie at HR.
The Hunter Valley express way has shortened the trip by about 45 minutes X Newcastle area, which makes the drive to Nundle a bit more relaxed, will make it up there again for sure. Nice finds such as those you found make for interesting detecting poking around in the forest country.
Cheers, SinHof.

Cheers guys
Yes Heatho both species are on quartz crystal and the gold is mirror polished from being against the crystals which have fallen off.
Thanks Sinhof, yes I have a current state forest permit as I spend most my time in these areas, not real big on the spots where everyman goes.
The drive is so easy, roads are in great nick too.

Had some time this morning on the goldfields (Jupiter Creek, SA). No gold, just a heap of rust, lead and foil though whilst walking up the hill to the car I thought I'd leave the SDC running to do its thing... beep off it went. After some excitement and a hole 8'' deep, out popped this little beauty. An 'AR Sixpence 1829' with King George IV. After a bath in baking soda it came up a treat - Not yellow but hey, still a nice little find to keep me inspired. Not only that but it's the 2nd found in the one day, we'll done Pirate Pete! :D

1484738976_img_3540.jpg

1484738977_img_3541.jpg

G'Day Vstrom,
Nice gold-n-quartz there mate, could be worth putting in some time at that location to try and locate where the gold had come from, might not be too far away.
Cheers, SinHof.

Latest posts