Happy Australia Day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is probably the elephant in the room but I thought I would put it out there.
Normally I would have my Aussie Flag up and flags all along the front handrail but after listening to some people on radio from both sides of the equation, I have decided not to do that this year as my opinion over the past couple of years has changed.
I have read about the Frontier Wars, the killing of the Kalkadoon people, the poisoning of flour and waterholes and I am starting to think that I am beginning to understand why the celebrations on this day would be be very upsetting to Aboriginals. I certainly wouldn't be celebrating if it was white Australians that were slaughtered by the hundreds and thousands in those early years of settlement and the commencement of cattle runs.
I will be having the day off and yes I will eat my seafood and lamb but not with the same views as I have had previously, it will be , for me a time of thought and reflection on past atrocities and how we can repair the hurt and come together as one people in the future and celebrate this Great Countryfor what it truly is.
Mackka
Mods feel free to remove if to not within the rules and guidelines.

We can't go back and correct the errors of early settlers, but there are also many cases recorded where individuals in the native population also carried out atrocious acts during the same periods.
I guess that my main point though is that reliving the past doesn't help the present or the future. Don't get me started regarding what has been already done to address the perceptions of white invasion, as I am afraid that I would likely receive a holiday fro the forum.

Rob P.

I'm just going to leave this here.

1516784868_img_3463.jpg

This whole change the date is rediculous, it only creates divisions between us.
It won't make up for the atrocities of the past, unfortunately that's how things were in that era.

Not making any excuses, the treatment of the indigenous Australians was horrendous.

26 Jan 1788 is the date my ancestors arrived in this beautiful land I call home, and to me that's cause for celebration

I'm sure the forum will have people on both sides of the fence, let's not get into politics lads. Let's wish each other a happy oz day and celebrate the absolute pearler of a country we are lucky enough to call home :Y:

Bloody hell, why we are at it why don't we change armistice day, Anzac Day, rememberance day, Xmas, Easter, Melbourne cup day etc, they all offend, cause pain, bring back bad memories to someone.
I am not responsible for the sins of every earlier generation. History will not change the date the first fleet landed.

I can't sit on the fence, LEAVE AUSTRALIA DAY ON TH 26th jan

Is OK to be empathetic for the aboriginal culture and people but remember that there is a majority on them living on yours and my welfare cheque...fact!!!

The past belongs in the past so long as we have learnt the lessons from the past. and that's in all cultures

I'm all for inclusion but lets be fair on EVERYONE!!!

I'll put my flame retardent PJ's on now :eek:

Manpa said:
Bloody hell, why we are at it why don't we change armistice day, Anzac Day, rememberance day, Xmas, Easter, Melbourne cup day etc, they all offend, cause pain, bring back bad memories to someone.
I am not responsible for the sins of every earlier generation. History will not change the date the first fleet landed.
DITTO
1516785702_12.jpg

The three aboriginal people i spoke to a few weeks ago reckoned they always went to Australia day celebrations and enjoyed it and had never even considered it being "invasion day " .

I bet i will see them being proud aussies on Friday morning breakfast in the park.

The whole issue is causing a us and them vibe and will do more harm then good , seriously before the minorities named it "invasion day " we were all Aussies celebrating this great multicultural country.

I understand the idea of what they are saying and i have high respect for indigenous Australians , but it would be near impossible to name a country in the world that hasnt been "invaded " and taken over by a new civilisation at some point in history.

aussiefarmer said:
The three aboriginal people i spoke to a few weeks ago reckoned they always went to Australia day celebrations and enjoyed it and had never even considered it being "invasion day " .

I bet i will see them being proud aussies on Friday morning breakfast in the park.

The whole issue is causing a us and them vibe and will do more harm then good , seriously before the minorities named it "invasion day " we were all Aussies celebrating this great multicultural country.

I understand the idea of what they are saying and i have high respect for indigenous Australians , but it would be near impossible to name a country in the world that hasnt been "invaded " and taken over by a new civilisation at some point in history.

Spot on aussiefarmer, and just before the flame throwers come out, I'll set the record straight,my eldest daughter lives with an indigenous Australian and his opinion is the same as mine, it is another "minority" issue.

Mackka said:
It is probably the elephant in the room but I thought I would put it out there.
Normally I would have my Aussie Flag up and flags all along the front handrail but after listening to some people on radio from both sides of the equation, I have decided not to do that this year as my opinion over the past couple of years has changed.
I have read about the Frontier Wars, the killing of the Kalkadoon people, the poisoning of flour and waterholes and I am starting to think that I am beginning to understand why the celebrations on this day would be be very upsetting to Aboriginals. I certainly wouldn't be celebrating if it was white Australians that were slaughtered by the hundreds and thousands in those early years of settlement and the commencement of cattle runs.
I will be having the day off and yes I will eat my seafood and lamb but not with the same views as I have had previously, it will be , for me a time of thought and reflection on past atrocities and how we can repair the hurt and come together as one people in the future and celebrate this Great Countryfor what it truly is.
Mackka
Mods feel free to remove if to not within the rules and guidelines.

You could fly both the Australian flags , that way its promoting a united Australia celebrating our history together.

We have a lot of things we both cherish and wish to forget.
To me, Australia Day is a time we all can come together and both remember
both our past and present and be humbled on who we are.
We are one, But we are many.
And we are Australian. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Latest posts