New Sluicy with a couple of mods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New Sluicy GS17 showed up in the post today so this arvo saw me tinkering with a few things. Firstly changed out a few of the rivets inside the hopper ( thanks for the tip Boulders ), then replaced the hopper supports with longer ones to increase the adjustment of the hopper angle.
Added extensions to the stay bars to pump some water back up the hopper to help with breaking up clay.
I then added some cable tray to the hopper to act as a classifier instead of the grissly bars which I was informed tend to catch a few rocks. This also allowed me to install V rib matting underneath which I find handy for checking to see If I'm still getting colours.
Also sealed the bolt holes for the spray bars as heard they tend to leak.
Tomorrow I will hopefully be adding longer legs with feet
Im thinking of moving the front legs back a bit as looks a bit tight to fit a bucket under when cleaning out.
Any recommendations on how to improve even more or if you see an issue with what I've done so far would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Mick
1484737619_img_0250.jpg

1484737620_img_0251.jpg

1484737621_img_0252.jpg

Looks good mate but.... Lol..... I think that cable tray should just go over the grizzly bars or even better replace it completely.

I reckon that cable tray will clog up with some fine silt and even gold between the tray and base of the hopper by extending it the whole distance. You'd be surprised with the water pressure where it can push little pebbles and even gold.

Just a thought. Unless I'm seeing it wrong by the photo.

Good idea on the spray bar. I have the GS21 and that has a Tumbler in the rear to break things up so not necessary on mine.

Definitely do the feet and leg extension.

Looks great, I made my highbanker to the same specs as the gs17 and have recently bought some of that v mat to add to the banker but wasn't sure wether to put it in the hopper like yours or under the grizzly bars on the slick area in bottom sluice section.May I ask are you going to glue it in the hopper or just sit it in there?Also want to do the cable tray/grizzly swap mod one day.

Thanks Boulder. I see what you are saying, will give it a try and see how it goes, it is easy to remove so would all come out when I clean up. could add buffers.

Thanks Silver. Had it glued in the slick area in my Walbanker, caught a lot of gold but was hard to get out. I'm going to try leaving it loose to see how it goes. The cable tray lifts out easily so I can have a look at the matt to see if I'm getting colour.

Thanks for the input guys
Mick

Your tray might start bending in the middle if not supported so have something handy put under just in case.
Jon

I'm not sure whether you might have to lift it slightly as well as the clearance might not be much larger than the hole size.
Jon

Will have to try it out, if it blocks I'll take it out and go back to the drawing board, how did you go at the Ford on Sunday, I was there talking to Barry when you got there.
Mick

whats the tip about the rivets? just recently bought a gs16, put spaghetti mat under the expanded instead of the marine carpet and extended the legs, going to work on the spray bars next with slits instead of holes (and less of them to increase pressure with the bilge pump until thornado are back in stock)

Mickskin said:
Will have to try it out, if it blocks I'll take it out and go back to the drawing board, how did you go at the Ford on Sunday, I was there talking to Barry when you got there.
Mick

Since I got there really late I only got two or three hours in and it was really slow going the fine tree roots were giving me a hard time but here's the result after a quick pan. Not much but good to get out, the gold is in little heaps and there'd be more left in the blacks:

1484833064_17778-25.jpg

Latest posts