Gold Prospecting, Detecting, General information/interest books

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil reed said:
Gaz&Al said:
Hi guys,
Just wondering what people's thoughts are for good literature on the subject of gold fossicking is there a bible as such cheers
I like Gold and Gosts by Dehavilin .great maps and figures off what they got in that area
..they are a bit dear. I've checked vol4 at a library today. It's a good option for those who are not willing to pay big money or checking if is it worth of big money before purchasing.

Luke said:
phil reed said:
Gaz&Al said:
Hi guys,
Just wondering what people's thoughts are for good literature on the subject of gold fossicking is there a bible as such cheers
I like Gold and Gosts by Dehavilin .great maps and figures off what they got in that area
..they are a bit dear. I've checked vol4 at a library today. It's a good option for those who are not willing to pay big money or checking if is it worth of big money before purchasing.
I have the QLD copy on stick on computer but useless on knowing how to send.

Yes, but those we chase most are qualified as rare and not for loan. They don't even transfer between libraries. Been chasing G&G vol5. Would have to go to Brisbane state library or Townsville library as only they have them. So decided to buy them and just did for a fair price and in mint condition.Gonna study and then resale if anyone interested let me know.
1470355717_20160805_100802.jpg

Hi all,

I'm wanting to gain a little bit more knowledge on gold prospecting with a metal detector primarily in Victoria. I'm thinking of purchasing a book but I'm a little unsure which one I should purchase. Has anyone found a particular book which has helped them out in the past in the gold fields.

Cheers

Not much in a book you wouldnt find on this site. Gold books for me have been more about history etc such as Palmer River of Gold...the technique that reverberates through all these books is that of 'Hard Work' :)))

A modern day book worth considering is Doug Stones gold atlas of Australia, the green one with a picture of Doug holding a GPX5000.

Has maps of a few areas for each state and gives a general review of modern machines. It doesn't mark an "X" for you neither will anything you read but a good general overview of history and modern technology.

Like I said it's worth consideration.

For Gold info.,...best $10.00 i spent was on "Loaming for Gold" by Sam Cash.

For maps of areas, i use google earth, and Tully's maps. Selected areas on Doug Stone maps also used occasionally.

For general history and in Vic, I enjoyed the James Flett book "The History of Gold Discovery in Victoria"...

He also wrote a book titled "Dunolly" which is a more regional tome of historical info.

One more worthy of a look imo, is "The Gold Fields and Mineral Districts of Victoria:"- Robert Brough Smyth

Free PDF here;... https://books.google.com.au/books?id=178OAAAAYAAJ&source=gbs_similarbooks

Another book i have is..."GOLD: Forgotten Histories and Lost Objects of Australia"

Read it online here;... http://books.google.com.au/books?id...RAhUFjZQKHXlYD2oQ6AEIKTAB#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sorry for the long link :8

Other good reads i am yet to get to others will identify. ;)

Gypsy

Latest posts