Prospecting in the Wedderburn Goldfields Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome first find!! :p - would be a hard decision to sell or keep it as its the first. Be a nice piece for the brag box.

Hey nugget found it on a minelab 2200 that my friend kindly gave me he'd found a lot up in the cue region. He was so happy for me. Ripper, thanks for all the congrats guys, really appreciate. Was awesome after a couple of champagne had a tear or two as reality set in.

Congratulations Smithers. That is fantastic. Now if we just had some that size down here in Tassie................... :)

I'm sure I'll keep going in queenstown there must be something in that Linda valley, thanks fellow taswegian....

Hi all,

I'm heading up to Wedderburn with a couple of Minelab GPX 5000's over the cup weekend and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to start? I have Doug Stone's maps for the area, which have been helpful, however there seems to be diggings everywhere! Any areas i should concentrate my efforts on? I don't get out detecting much, so it'd be good to start looking in the 'right' areas.

cheers

Daniel

Daniel .... you hiring the GPX units? They're not the easiest to get your head around if just starting, if they're yours i'd be getting in a bit of practise. There are no x marks the spot locations, any area that the old timers were prospecting in will give you a chance to pick up something, as a "general' rule the ground will be shallower" on the sides of hills/gullies, the bottom areas usually have more material washed down (silt/leaf litter build-up) so generally the gold will be a bit deeper .... still the 5000 should do the job for you.
Don't rush or just jump from spot to spot, go slow, cover a predetermined area throughly before moving on and just because others have dug targets there doesn't always mean they've found all the gold.
Good Luck, T.

Can anyone give me some advice on using a SDC2300 around the Wedderburn area.
I'm a newbie at prospecting and would love some advice from someone experienced. :)

Hi mate, I'm a relative newbie too so others can probably help a bit more, but I hired an SDC for 3 days at Wedderburn as my first detecting trip back in October. I don't mean to discourage you as you might have a lot more luck than me there, but I only found a single tiny nugget - 0.03-0.04g - in the more popular spots north of the town (Queen's Gully, etc.) from about 20 hours detecting. I then got frustrated and tried some different spots that looked less 'popular' and ended up with 3 nuggets for about 0.35g in the Kingower area in around 5 hours.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think Wedderburn has been pretty hammered and it might be better to have a look elsewhere. It's all good learning though I suppose, and you might well do better than I did... I'd still give Queen's Gully a miss though as I know of at least one guy who has been over it thoroughly with an SDC and found diddly squat. ;)

Hi guys,
Myself and Mrs_mac1 are hoping to head oner to Wedderburn, Vic from about 11/05/17 for 5 days or so if anyone fancy's catching up.
I'll be taking the 5000 and SDC and staying at the Pioneer Caravan Park.
Does anyone have experience detecting in this area? Or maybe somewhere I can download a map where I could detect legally?
Also I've got to convince the mrs the price of the 5000 is a 'good investment' ;) so need all the help I can get hahaha!

Cheers,
Paul

Try and get the John Tully map of the area, ~$20-25. Hard Hill is hit regularly, with an Annual event staged there and littering the hill with 'tokens' (colored washers in reality)...gold still found there, small and infrequent mostly...

Look outwards of the township is my best advice....

Good Luck...

Gypsy

Latest posts