Treasure Snoop Metal Detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
No worries Kathy, yeah not the best for gold detecting, though if you got it over a decent nugget you'd ping it for sure, all metal mode would be best for that.

Will post up the settings I use a bit later tonight, gotta go cook a barbq now before I get in trouble.......... :)

Thanks Heatho
Your help is much appreciated

Hey Wally69
Yer I'm guessing i may have jumped in too early with little knowledge when i purchased. But I'm sure we will still get a little fun out of it. Will have to get into some treasure hunting by the looks of it ;)

Don't get discouraged, it should pick up a pea sized nugget just fine and there are a lot of great relics on the goldfields, including gold sovereigns. The smaller nuggets are more numerous and harder to detect but if you go low and slow and have a good ear you may just surprise the sceptics.

Your advantage is you will be able to discriminate out the iron and may go where those with the Ferrari detectors cannot.

Good luck out there.

I've started using the 1200mah rechargeable battery at the moment in it and seems to be doing a great job more sensitive and a little more depth can't go wrong So far.

Hi kathy, will explain a bit to you today, may need some help off heatho with the detector, but it should be an easy one.

( Detecting for nuggets in the valley would nearly be impossible as for the undergrowth here. Coins and relics you will be able to find here mostly. )

We should be able to find a coin on your property, but the camps could have been set up on the paddock on the other side of the creek. The detector looks easy to use, I have not used that model yet but I will try to show you what I know.

Hope to have some fun, and will see you shortly!

kathy said:
Heatho said:
No worries Kathy, yeah not the best for gold detecting, though if you got it over a decent nugget you'd ping it for sure, all metal mode would be best for that.

Will post up the settings I use a bit later tonight, gotta go cook a barbq now before I get in trouble.......... :)

Thanks Heatho
Your help is much appreciated

No worries at all Kathy.

Settings are: After switching the detector on, press the "sens" button and lower the sensitivity by 2 bars. Then press the "Disc" button followed by the "Disc/Notch" button on the bottom left. Then use the + button on the right to fill in the top bars in the screen almost all the way to the left. There should only be 2 or 3 bars that are not filled in.

If you find it runs really smooth you can always boost the sens up or if unstable in certain areas drop the sens a bit, same with the discrimination, a few bars either way depending on conditions and junk.

Using these settings you'll miss most 5c and 10c coins, most foil and nearly all beer caps, you should find you can run it straight over beer caps and it will totally ignore them. It will pickup $1 and $2, 50c and 20c coins very well and all silver coins, silver and gold jewellery.

You'll still dig plenty of junk but with use you'll see that it's more reactive on good targets and slightly less reactive on most junk, it takes practice but is easy to use. Mine has served me very well.

I've found around $1000 in coins, 2 gold rings with gemstones and 1 gold band, 3 silver rings, 3 silver pendants, 4 Florins, 4 Sixpence, 4 Threepence and a Shilling. Pretty happy with it. :)

When I first got mine I put a bunch of different targets on the ground and did some testing with rings, coins and a few junk targets. It will pick up half a gram of gold in all metal mode from about 5-10cm. It does handle highly mineralised ground but may not perform properly, gets a bit jittery and will give false signals. I'd say it has the potential to get the occasional nug in the right gold bearing spots but I think you'd have to be lucky to get one.

Hi heatho, had a fun day meeting kathy yeaterday, went for a stroll, a dig and a play with the detector.

Followed your setup guide there and got it half working for the moment. Layed different metals down but I think we had interferrance from something else while testing. Will give it another go next time.

It seemed to do a high pitch squeal while over a 20c coin but normal noises for the others. Played with disc and sens a bit, but still not the best luck.

There was a lot of ground noise, will be better to test it at a park.

It certainly didnt pickup deep signals, only like you said 10-15cm away even doing an air test. Good for learning with though :)

Hey good stuff AR glad you got it working, I've noticed that different mineralised soil types will make it behave differently from benign types and maybe mask good targets.

I really think parks is where it excels. Yeah 15cm sounds about right though mate. Yeah they are good for learning the hobby though I think I'm just lucky on targets due to having mostly benign soil here and a lot of people around to constantly drop stuff. Still it's worth getting to know as it can be a great unit on level ground with lots of targets.

Hopefully next hunt yields better results.

It's a good machine the only time I seem to have any drama is when the batteries are getting low or the coil cable is loose I always try to keep it strapped down with Velcro ties and for batteries use the 9V rechargeable 1200mha battery's gives it great sensitivity and depth. But Heatho has given some great settings out to try I might have to give them ago myself, I've used some similar one's myself with some success other times I might just set it in all mode and put sensitivity down to get about 2.5 to 3 inches depth to just get the coins sitting on top of i haven't got much time to give it a good going over. Best of luck with this machine it's great for parks as Heatho has stated.
Cheers good luck all.

After some trial and error moments I think I have got it all sorted out, found targets at the beach in water all junk but also found the cord connected to coil was also setting off the detector, brought it back home to sort it out and tested it outside in the rain with ring and metal as targets all good. Will more than likely test it again today at some point...Sand will be wet so should be a true test.

Ridge Runner said:
Single frequency machines run better with a concentric on the beach and they ID junk better than a DD.

John.

Yes true....Went to the beach today and finally worked out ground balance on the 1038, thing is coil is so small that I missed targets $2 10c 5c and 50c was sitting on top of sand and I missed that only managed to see it when I went and got my Xterra 505 which picked up multiple signals $2 - 10c and 5c above them was the 50c sitting on a mound of sand.

Oh well it works in wet sand and water. :)