New photography hobby #Pics

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1478991438_img_20161113_094623.jpg

Awesome photos GT, the new cameras these days seem to make everyday joed think they are a photographer, but its easy to see when someone has some real talent for it. Very sharp and bold coloring, id even say they look cinematic as well! Panoramas look stunning too

Nice work GT... :D

Did you upgrade the camera yet?, if so what to?
I still enjoy my old Nikon D40x..( :eek: ...just saw how cheap they are now. I paid $2k package deal when new :( ) ...haven't looked at cameras much since i bought it, so as far as i know, your Samsung may outdo it these days lol.
Won't derail the thread discussing my two Minolta x300's WITH unprocessed film and multiple glass... :p

What suite are you now using for post production?
I am yet to even go there myself...im more a "frame,...focus,.....snap" and move them to my hd for access. Can't recall the last time i did any prints. I have a couple of suites, including the bog standard Nikon accessory disc suite, but never opened any of them to edit my pics. Guess i'm a happy snapper, in comparison to being an 'artist'... ;)

Any chance you might include pre and post pics together?...
So we can see the transition, and better understand your vision of the end product? I think some would like to see the raw image as well in their own right due to the subject matter, and the composition you chose. :cool:

Enjoying watching your journey, and growth in diversity.

Thanks for sharing.

Gypsy

:8 ..i told a fib above.

There is one well priced, multi function DSLR i have been eyeing for some time.

Have a gander here;

www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=nikon%20p900%20statue%20of%20liberty%20images

Nice bit of kit, high resolution, reasonably fast, and all in a compact design. Heck, i was pricing an 18-300mm lens for my D40x, but i think i will use the $$$ for this instead. :D :D :D

There's a thread about it on another forum by a guy in ACT who has one as well. (4umer...mods remove if contrary to rules)

From the google page, a good read-up here;

www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/hands-review/nikon-p900-new-king-superzooms

Biggest disadvantage for me is non-exchangeable lenses, though it covers a range that a dedicated lens would cost THOU$AND$$$$. It will come down to your "need" for the work you do, but hard to leave behind as an all rounder to some degree.

Gypsy

GypsyGoldAu said:
Nice work GT... :D

What suite are you now using for post production?
I am yet to even go there myself...im more a "frame,...focus,.....snap" and move them to my hd for access. Can't recall the last time i did any prints. I have a couple of suites, including the bog standard Nikon accessory disc suite, but never opened any of them to edit my pics. Guess i'm a happy snapper, in comparison to being an 'artist'... ;)

Any chance you might include pre and post pics together?...
So we can see the transition, and better understand your vision of the end product? I think some would like to see the raw image as well in their own right due to the subject matter, and the composition you chose. :cool:

Enjoying watching your journey, and growth in diversity.

Thanks for sharing.

Gypsy

Hey GT agree totally with Gypsy and the rest some nice work going on and a good eye for composition also :)

One thing people get a little confused with is the processing part. You have two options

1. The camera does ALL the editing for you once the picture is taken. This is normally a Jpeg file. There are still many settings for this file and if you play around with cameras you will see some options they give, such a sport, landscape etc...

2. Shoot in RAW and post process your photos the way you want and not the way the camera software guys wanted it.

A RAW file is in concept exactly the same as shooting Film, it needs processing in some way to make it a finished file/photo. Until the Polaroid camera this was your only option with film to put it in for processing, if you were a bit more savvy you may have your own processing lab. The Polaroid is the modern day Jpeg file :)

That means you make the decision, I personally process all of my photo's so that they present the way I want and it looks like you do also GT. In my non professional opinion I think they are a little dark and would print that way also? It is a good idea to try and calibrate your monitor, there is huge variables to what you see and what others see. If you have a few monitors around the home have a look and you will see this.

For processing I recommend the Adobe Light Room product it is simple to use, has plenty of features and is non destructive to your original file (important) a little pricey but worth the money. Only negative is it is not really good for adding items in layers like Photoshop. Though have not checked out the latest version which may be included.

While mentioning GT,GGA in this post this is more a general primer for someone interested in Photography and the differences in processing. Leave it to the camera, or do it yourself!

Not to derail either, but those that are interested this is some of my work from over the years - http://djgphoto.zenfolio.com/

Happy Snapping
Westaus

Hi Westaus,
Just reading through your post above and ticking off the points you made, this happy snapper has been a RAW shooter for ages, the digital darkroom is fully colour managed from capture to print and is very predictable with the hardware calibrated 26" NEC monitor and Epson 3880 A2 printer. Like you say Adobe Lightroom is a breeze to use and print from, when I get serious with my black and white photography I dust off my 4x5 sheet film cameras, bring the exposed sheets home and into the darkroom, that work finished I have a friend hi-end oil scan the negs for me, the detail in these one gig files has to seen to be believed, it would be interesting to see what Ansel Adams could produce with the tech that we enjoy today. It matters little what gear you use, photography is a great addictive hobby, a bit like prospecting..
Cheers All, SinHof.
PS: Just had a look at your work, very nice images there mate, congratulstions.
PPS: People who produce dark prints or screen images on monitors other than their own probably have the brightness wound up too high on their monitor.

Latest posts