Aux battery charging from 12V cig socket

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From there I got a small wooden box from the craft area at Bunnings, screwed the Redarc BCDC to the outside and fed the Redarc cable to the inside of the box. There is a cable in on one end and another out on the other, each with an Anderson plug on it. Inside the box are fuse holders, terminal strips to connect it all together.

So I plug the internal lead from the solenoid to the input end of the box and the output to another cable that I can fix to my battery. The battery is in a plastic battery box with lid and has another cable that plugs to my fridge. So all temporary and easy to connect/disconnect until I build the more permanent install. The battery box and the Redarc Box sit in the 3rd seat footwell against the back of the 2nd row seats (I've removed the 3rd row seats), and don't move. I used the 3rd row seat mounting holes to screw in tie down points for the Engel. Since buying th 4by in September I've put the Engel in twice and it's easy to take out as I needed to make a template of the floor space for my Drawer design.

Once built it will be similarly wired, but with a couple of additions. I'll have another lead off the AGM Anderson terminated to feed a small "Jiffy Box with Hella and Cig sockets which is internal. The other will be another lead fed to an outside Anderson plug at the rear bumper on the other side of the tow ball from the current hitch socket.

This will be for external power out if needed and also suitable to plug in my external solar panel. I have an Anderson double adaptor (1 plug split out to 2 more) so that I can solar charge as well as take power out at the same time.

Yup, I know the feeling, I do the Murray mouth, Robe, Flinders Ranges, Loveday etc as well as a couple of prospecting trip to VIC every year, usually 4-6 weeks each.
Some of the tracks in the VIC GT are pretty "hairy". :)

I made up a cig lighter power board for phones, comp etc in battery compartment on camper . Have a few usb connectors in there also and use Anderson to connect charger to or can use plug at front. This compartment is open inside camper when it's up as steps fold out from it's lid
I know the triangle real well Condor as born and bred Castlemaine and my father was from Moliagul, actually interestingly enough the Welcome Stranger was found on his Grandmothers property .................. wish they had left it for me :D
1484189263_tambo_power_board.jpg

Covers are needed especially where salt is concerned as it plays havoc with the pins in the Anderson plugs .................. have also found the genuine Anderson plug pins do resist corrosion better than the cheap knock offs. I add here this is using hardware in possibly the worst conditions one can subject it to.

Condor BMPRO on and running and super impressed with both the unit and app. Going to get another to run on camper battery :) Need to check first how the app will go seeing two units with separate ID numbers ................... may have to use them on separate phones ? ;)
Cheers again

Bogger said:
Condor BMPRO on and running and super impressed with both the unit and app. Going to get another to run on camper battery :) Need to check first how the app will go seeing two units with separate ID numbers ................... may have to use them on separate phones ? ;)
Cheers again

The app handles it, if you only activate the Bluetooth to the BMPro that you want, but must admit that I haven't tried it with both activated. Having said that you do identify what vehicle the specific BMPro is located in, so may work.

Rob P.

Thanks Rob ....................... have several phones and found today that if one is connected to it then the other phone won't pick it up until you disconnect the phone that is already connected. I think that's obviously their security set up.
Easy way is simply use a separate phone for each unit. The best part about this unit is it's completely non intrusive into wiring and can be fitted and removed without cutting and joining a thing. Aussie made also ;)

Bogger said:
Cheers again

As I don't use my 4x4 aux all of the time, I leave my App seeing the caravan BM. When I want to check the 4by, I go into settings and connect to the 4by.

I have both profiles in the App and both PINs, changing is a little tedious as having both in a list and being able to choose would make it easier.

Might contact BM and suggest an App update.....

Bogger said:
Thanks Rob ....................... have several phones and found today that if one is connected to it then the other phone won't pick it up until you disconnect the phone that is already connected. I think that's obviously their security set up.
Easy way is simply use a separate phone for each unit. The best part about this unit is it's completely non intrusive into wiring and can be fitted and removed without cutting and joining a thing. Aussie made also ;)

LOL, I thought I said that earlier :) re no holes

That you did sir .................. I was refering to not having to cut up loom and wiring from attached devices ;) I try to never drill holes :eek: as I always like to be able to remove an item and not even know it had been there. ;)
Re the app I think I'll just use a phone for each unit ..................... thought it was broken tonight as was reading zero amps and wouldn't read positive amps ................ but nope just a full battery :D Just couldn't squeeze any more down the line :|

Bogger said:
That you did sir .................. I was refering to not having to cut up loom and wiring from attached devices ;) I try to never drill holes :eek: as I always like to be able to remove an item and not even know it had been there. ;)
Re the app I think I'll just use a phone for each unit ..................... thought it was broken tonight as was reading zero amps and wouldn't read positive amps ................ but nope just a full battery :D Just couldn't squeeze any more down the line :|

Great,- Once you use it in anger when out and about, you start to realise what a difference there is in the charging rates of each of the stages, depending on SOC of the battery as well as what is going out.

One thing I've done occasionally when on solar is to temporarily turn off your fridge and all loads (when the battery is at least 20% down) at various times of the day and weather conditions. That will give you a real world idea of just what is happening re solar charging.

One thing I have had said to me by others is that "my solar panel is only inputting 0.5 amps, it should be putting in 6+". The point is that when a battery is near full, it's being charged in absorption stage at an ever reducing amperage. So although the panel may be outputting 6+ amps, the controller is only allowing a small portion of that to the battery.

Conversely, your battery may need to be charged in boost as it's SOC might be 20+% down, and on a dull overcast day, your panel may only be producing 1-2 amps or less. So that is all the controller will charge at, they don't increase the panel output and although it may be a 25 amp charger, that is its maximum and they invariably operate at far less.

Email Sent to Setec (BMPRO) 14/1/17

I have 2 x BM PRO Battery check devices, one fitted to my Caravan battery, the other to my 4x4 auxiliary. The process of changing/disconnecting from one to the other in the App is somewhat tedious. Can this function within the App be made more simple i.e. to show a list of BMs it connects to and selecting the one wanted.

Thanks, Mike

Their Reply 16/1 17

Setec Customer Support (SETEC) Jan 16, 13:39 AEDT

Good morning Mike,

We are in the process of re-developing our application which will hopefully resolve the issue you mentioned below. This will be released later in 2017 - your application will update via the app store.
Kind regards, Setec Customer Service

So they must be aware of the issue

Good to see they listen also to customer.
Had to pull mine from the car as couldn't handle all I run from aux battery ................... not to bad until I needed to run the winch on trailer ;) So will just run it on my camper to monitor the battery in that :D

There is an easy way to avoid the heavy gear buggering the BM. As you know it needs all - negative leads to go to the non battery end of the BM PRO. Items such as a winch don't put the winch - there, put it straight to the - of the battery. Easy when you know how :)

It won't measure that use, but lets face it how often and for how long do you pull a huge load, that and the engine is usually running and charging anyway.

Please leave that one at the bottom of the barrel, lol.

Here's my circuit, I don't have a winch and wouldn't use one from an AGM Aux anyway. But I could and have run my compressor.
The UHF is not yet connected, but if I have a problem finding power near the dash, I can use the input from the BCDC as it's IGN or from the AGM on all the time.
The solar / cig socket box can be used at the same time as I also have an Anderson double adaptor so power going into the same line as an output is still ok and the BM PRO will still calculate the result. I've added the extra lines to show where a winch might be connected and therefore not measured by the BM.

Note: My BCDC is not solar as my portable panel has an external regulator, so the power in is already regulated.

1484652528_circuit.jpg

PabloP said:
If you have a large Inverter in the van, best check that the current it draws doesn't exceed the max for the BMPro.

Rob P.

No I don't, I only use an inverter to run my satellite TV receiver, which is 60 watts or 5 amps. The inverter is only a 150W @ 12-13 A max.

If I need more than that in 240VAC I crank up the genny i.e. my hot water element or microwave. As I have said before it's as much about process as equipment.

I try to save LPG as I only have 2 x 4.5kg bottles and want the fridge to get most of that. So after detecting for the day, I get back to camp crank up the genny and switch the hot water to 240VAC rather than gas. Then I prepare dinner and wherever possible use the microwave, a. it's quicker and b. saves LPG. By the time I've eaten the water is hot, so I do the whole days dishes once. While doing them the water used is re heated, I then have a shower. Afterward the genny goes off and I live off the battery for TV, lights and the diesel heater. I allow myself the gas kettle for a cuppa later on if not drinking a "lemonade" or 3.

The other plus is that if the day has been really crappy solar wise, the smart charger will top up from the genny.

The cost of a large inverter as well as the extra battery capacity isn't worth the bit of fuel I use.

condor22 said:
There is an easy way to avoid the heavy gear buggering the BM. As you know it needs all - negative leads to go to the non battery end of the BM PRO. Items such as a winch don't put the winch - there, put it straight to the - of the battery. Easy when you know how :)

It won't measure that use, but lets face it how often and for how long do you pull a huge load, that and the engine is usually running and charging anyway.

Please leave that one at the bottom of the barrel, lol.

Condor yes tried it with connectors under BMPro so it wasn't seeing load but it was seeing the other battery in trailer. :rolleyes: Plus I use my trailer winch probably three or four times a week so trying to isolate it all from the BMPRO started to become more headache than it's worth I'm afraid. Whilst thinking that I also have a winch on camper that swings my quad rack away from trailer. The rack weighs 130Kg so will have to look at the amps draw from that winch before hooking it to the camper battery also. Might sell the BMPRO and just buy their new unit when it comes out ................... meanwhile I'll get another AGM .
Condor good brand AGM ?
:)

Looks like a no go with camper also as even a 4000lb winch can draw 160 to 180 amps ...................... bugger :| Looks like await the new unit :)

I'm using Full River from the home of 12volt SA, they are available elsewhere. First time I've used this brand, happy so far. Ask me again in about 9 years time :)

Latest posts