Swipers Gully Fossicking Area Queenslnd

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RjW

Reaction score
any advise on sweepers Gully Fossicking area Q.L.D.
planing on taking a prospecting trip in a few weeks time, to Sweepers Gully.
currently researching places to stay in Amienens any advise is welcome. cheers,.

Welcome RjW... :lol: The location you need info on is Swipers Gully in the Passchendaele State Forest, Stanthorpe... and you want to stay at Amiens.... :lol:
Don't think there is anywhere to stay at Amiens, A Pub maybe... and not much at Swipers, Topaz wise. :/... Better places around Stanthorpe area to try .. you could be lucky tho.. The QLD Fossicking Guide has some info on Stanthorpe area... just google it, you will find it...

LoneWolf....

thanks Lonewolf for the advise . ive been trying to gain access to a few places but im finding places are shut due to ppl not taking care of land.
Stanthorpe.is not to far away to stay I better take a look at these maps , hopefully i get a nice topaz an upload a pic cheers.

has anyone been to Sweepers Gully QLD or has prospecting stories of the area. cheers

SWIPERS} ive been writing sweepers.., found nothing ok, not even low quality. im in the Fraser coast area.my partner is in to Gems. I was hopping my trip could be 4 4 an half hour drive. an stay for a few night ,finding hard to gain access to areas.
i agree they should open Swipers ill mesure it when i come back but its a small area cheers :cool:

Zero, zilch, nada... for Swipers Gully. :/ ...... But, If you are on the Fraser Coast you could head to Lowmead, near Bundaberg for Amethyst, Citrine and Smoker Quartz.. or head north up to Rocky for Thundereggs at Mt Hay nice caravan park, or continue on to Emerald (Central Qld Gemfields) for Sapphires and Zircons..... Stanthorpe Area is a bit of hit and miss as far as Fossicking is concerned.... But it's up to you of course....

There is another Topic under Gemstones and Minerals on this Forum that has 28 pages on Lowmead... And Lefty and KTM man knows the Area around there well.... Two of the Lowmead Gods :lol:

My choice if I was you... Drive out to Emerald area for Sapphires... Those Pretty stones will make your Partner smile... :lol:

LoneWolf...

Hello all. Been looking at Swipers Gully on the net and just want to know....when you get out there.......is it really clear were you can dig as the picture on the map is pretty plan.

This is probably a bit late for you but for your further info;
I was there a few months back, The main entrance was closed as they were logging at the time, there is a second round-about way ( which a kindly forestry worker told us of after finding us wandering up and down the road before the "Road Closed for Logging" sign, This route takes you to what looks like an old tin mining area with huge piles of decomposed granite over grown with trees. I noted where others have dig into these piles looking for quarts, topaz etc.
As I understand it, topaz there is rare though, info you find "talks it up" an bit too much.
We did find a few poor quality worn smokey quartz pieces not much better than road gravel.
Un-aware if any other public fossicking areas round Stanthorpe.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts