Hi everyone, Paul from Canberra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Newbie prospector here, I have been looking for gold in a few spots on the north side of Canberra. No luck yet.
My wife and I have been exploring the lower cotter river for gemstones, nothing yet but the thrill is in the chase =)

If anyone has up to date information on we jasper, GG or MC I would love to go some place close to the north side of Canberra ACT

Not concerned about big finds just somewhere to have a little fun and relax ;)

Hi Paul, we just left Canberra after spending 5 years there. We came back to Alice Springs as the lifestyle here is way better for us than we had in Canberra. Funnily enough we didn't venture North all that much as we lived in Calwell and then in Googong.

I will look forward to seeing some of your finds when you post them up. :)

Thanks for the welcome.
Below is something we found on the north side of canberra.
There must be more places in canberra for quartz Oo

1486550924_screenshot_2017-02-08-18-59-32-1.jpg

Tried GG public area but had little luck there :|

Going on a 4 day fossicking adventure towards wee jasper this weekend :D

G'day Paul, I've just joined and am also from your area. Super impressed by your quartz, I've been kicking over stones round canberra and never found anything close to as nice as that. You don't suppose you could give me a place to start looking? Also if golds what you are into at the moment then for me Shoalhaven wont send you home empty handed. Don't expect to see any potato size nuggets but if a bit of colour at the bottom of your pan is all you're after then Shoalhaven is a good place to start, well at least it has been for me. Plenty of gold for everyone there, sometimes fine, sometimes super fine ;)

Thanks Jaros, appreciate your well wishes. I have lots of goals and know there will be lots of enjoyment to be had rolling around in the dirt, and as for money- to the contrary of what my name would suggest- although necessary, is something we should all be trying to separate ourselves from. The desire to want more than we need is just not sustainable for much longer. But hey, who doesn't like a bit of extra coin in the pocket for an ice-cream every now and then ;). Thanks again and all the best jaros, NUGS.

NUGS MONEY said:
G'day Paul, I've just joined and am also from your area. Super impressed by your quartz, I've been kicking over stones round canberra and never found anything close to as nice as that. You don't suppose you could give me a place to start looking? Also if golds what you are into at the moment then for me Shoalhaven wont send you home empty handed. Don't expect to see any potato size nuggets but if a bit of colour at the bottom of your pan is all you're after then Shoalhaven is a good place to start, well at least it has been for me. Plenty of gold for everyone there, sometimes fine, sometimes super fine ;)

Hi Nugs you able to PM me ?
If you wan't to meet up some time I will show you my secret spot :)
I bet there are many other good spots too.

:)

1523547893_30167799_574869876224653_8715784514746003159_o.jpg

This update shows the progress I have made gem hunting.
Recently bought a Diamond tester to help with indentification.

Seems i have found Blue, green, lime sapphire and Red, Brown Zircon

Having trouble determining the clear or colourless gems, Sapphire or Zircon?

You are doing well. Congrats!

The little whitish ones in the front right look like zircon but ...

Wow mate! Thats awesome those finds.

Where are you going? Still keeping it northside? I haven't been out in such a long time!

Hi Nugs and PaulV

Welcome to the forum. Some nice finds Paul. I am also into gems. May I pm you as well.

pete165 said:
Hi Nugs and PaulV

Welcome to the forum. Some nice finds Paul. I am also into gems. May I pm you as well.
Sorry for such a late reply. Welcome to PM me!

Latest posts