Checking in from Alice Springs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mav

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just joined the forum to gain a bit of knowledge and to have a chin wag now and then.

Primarily I am getting into detecting as more of a hobby and to do something with my son. It irks me to see him transfixed on his gaming boxes instead of getting out into the bush and exploring hence the idea for us to both take up detecting for a hobby. :)

I have yet to figure out which detectors to buy but have been studying up on a lot of the usual suspects. Out here the ground is heavily mineralised basically it is just crushed iron ore so whatever I get for us needs to have good ground balancing. I think we will probably be just coin and relic hunting with possibly some gold hunting occasionally. Kind of tossing up at the moment between the Nokta's and the Makro's and pretty sure one of our detectors will come from this camp.

The other detector is probably going to be a Garrett or XP Deus, thinking the XP Deus for my son mainly cause of its light weight as my boy is not the biggest kid around. :)

Anyway I hope to be able to contribute to the forum occasionally with what we find. My son is champing at the bit to get out detecting so I have to decide very soon on which detectors to purchase. :)

Cheers

Mav

Great idea mate, welcome.The makro gold racer is a quality machine, phasetech in Adelaide is a dealer, and its owner, Nenad is a member here, I guarantee you won't get better service anywhere.
Dave in Darwin.

Welcome aboard Mav, can't wait for the boxes here to break down, can tell you now there will be no money coming forth to replace them, and the oldest box n bits(PS2) is already destined to be moved on. I recommend to young parents now whenever I get the chance, to never launch their children into gaming ever, as we all know it's the biggest waste of life ever made available of all time (they probably said the same of marbles a few hundred years ago too) ,.... your doing the right thing introducing active adventure electronics to your young one as an available healthy mental and physical alternative ! ;) :D

davent said:
Great idea mate, welcome.The makro gold racer is a quality machine, phasetech in Adelaide is a dealer, and its owner, Nenad is a member here, I guarantee you won't get better service anywhere.
Dave in Darwin.

Thanks for the welcome Dave and also for letting me know about Pasetech in Adelaide.

silver said:
Welcome aboard Mav, can't wait for the boxes here to break down, can tell you now there will be no money coming forth to replace them, and the oldest box n bits(PS2) is already destined to be moved on. I recommend to young parents now whenever I get the chance, to never launch their children into gaming ever, as we all know it's the biggest waste of life ever made available of all time (they probably said the same of marbles a few hundred years ago too) ,.... your doing the right thing introducing active adventure electronics to your young one as an available healthy mental and physical alternative ! ;) :D

Thanks for the welcome Silver, marbles was never a waste of time. :) I like to get out camping in the outback areas around the Red Centre, always fun to look for fossils and metorites plus you cannot beat the night sky out bush and sitting around the campfire. :)

Been raining cats and dogs here for the past few weeks so all the access roads out to the west are currently closed due to all the river crossings in flood but once this weather pattern lifts and we go back to an arid climate again we will be getting back out there. :)

Jaros said:
Welcome Mav. P.A. is a great website for more than 1 hobby-good luck.
Jaros :p

Thanks for the welcome Jaros. :) I hope to make use of the forum a lot more once we get our gear. :)

Latest posts