Going wireless on SDC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hotrob said:
Hi JD Gold.

I have just cut the unique SDC plug off the end of the SDC headphones & I'm about to (attempt) soldering the wires from an old 6.5 jack I had laying around.
I'm finding it very hard to tin the fine wires running out of the SDC headphones. They also have fine Kevlar (I think) fibers which don't help.
The 6.5 has only two wires +pos & -neg but the headphones have three..... red, white & black. I'll have a go at it & if all else fails I'll call on the son who is a sparky & pretty good at this sort of thing.

Rob.

That's definitely an option, let us know how you go.

I reckon I'll probably end up getting another set of Minelab UR30's just with the 6.5 cable... just another $95, that way I'll still have the SDC phones as a back up. Though I'm hearing good things from the deteknix?

JD Gold,

I've got a set of UR-30 headphones with the big, fat plug on them - came with the GPZ. I have no intention of ever wearing them - hate them. You are more than welcome to have them.

Not sure where you are? I am in Northeast Vic. Heading to the GT this weekend though. Otherwise I can post them. Let me know.

Northeast.

Hotrob said:
Hi JD Gold.

I have just cut the unique SDC plug off the end of the SDC headphones & I'm about to (attempt) soldering the wires from an old 6.5 jack I had laying around.
I'm finding it very hard to tin the fine wires running out of the SDC headphones. They also have fine Kevlar (I think) fibers which don't help.
The 6.5 has only two wires +pos & -neg but the headphones have three..... red, white & black. I'll have a go at it & if all else fails I'll call on the son who is a sparky & pretty good at this sort of thing.

Rob.

Is the receiver jack stereo or mono ? The jack plug your soldering to sounds like mono if you only have two wires ? Three would most likely be stereo left / right channel and earth. Prob is depending on country colour code of wires white or black could have been earth but you should be able to tell by where wires connected to original plug ...................... use multi meter to trace.

Northeast said:
JD Gold,

I've got a set of UR-30 headphones with the big, fat plug on them - came with the GPZ. I have no intention of ever wearing them - hate them. You are more than welcome to have them.

Not sure where you are? I am in Northeast Vic. Heading to the GT this weekend though. Otherwise I can post them. Let me know.

Northeast.

Hi Northeast, Thanks for the offer mate, that's awesome. I'll send you a PM. Cheers.

Is the receiver jack stereo or mono ? The jack plug your soldering to sounds like mono if you only have two wires ? Three would most likely be stereo left / right channel and earth. Prob is depending on country colour code of wires white or black could have been earth but you should be able to tell by where wires connected to original plug ...................... use multi meter to trace.
Bugger....... I think you're right Bogger. :(

Hey Northeast if JD doesn't take your generous offer I'll gladly accept........ but not trying to push in....... if you want them JD go for it.

Rob.

JD,

Have sent an email - just check if you got it. In my 'sent' box but said it had issues sending - so I'm not sure.

Sorry Bogger but headphones gone.
Might be worth asking if anyone has a spare set though. I can only assume there would be heaps with the GPZ that simply don't use them like me.

My wife thought I should keep them for resale value if I ever sell the GPZ. The poor lass, she just doesn't get it - I'm never selling the Z :lol: :lol: :lol:

Northeast.

Hahahaha :)
No worries Northeast...... & once again that was a generous offer.
My wife thought I should keep them for resale value if I ever sell the GPZ. The poor lass, she just doesn't get it - I'm never selling the Z lol
I don't blame you mate ..... if I can ever afford/justify one I won't be getting rid of it ...... unless they bring out the Mk.II.
Might be worth asking if anyone has a spare set though. I can only assume there would be heaps with the GPZ that simply don't use them like me.
Seems a bit like begging :8 .....but what the hell...... if anyone has a pair that they want to go to a good home let me know please.
Rob.

Northeast said:
JD,

Have sent an email - just check if you got it. In my 'sent' box but said it had issues sending - so I'm not sure.

Sorry Bogger but headphones gone.

My wife thought I should keep them for resale value if I ever sell the GPZ. The poor lass, she just doesn't get it - I'm never selling the Z :lol: :lol: :lol:

Northeast.

Hi Northeast,

I received your email - all good, thanks again.

Best Regards.

So i went and purchased the new wireless audio, to connect to the SDC, and i am impressed, charged it up plugged it in and off it goes, finally volume control, great for hot days, plugged my iPhone ear buds in ( with adapter), awesome, i detected around 10hrs straight battery were fine, clipped the receiver to my peak of the cap, loud and clear, very happy, so if your thinking of getting one i would recommend ;)

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
g,day XXVL,
Can you give us a hint as to the brand and cost , i had a look at office works a few weeks ago and walked out with a headache, no wireless thing no blue tooth just some pens, is one brand better than another

Have this item in for sale section if it's the type your looking for ................... great units ;)

https://www.deteknix.com/product/wirefree_wr/

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
g,day XXVL,
Can you give us a hint as to the brand and cost , i had a look at office works a few weeks ago and walked out with a headache, no wireless thing no blue tooth just some pens, is one brand better than another
Pretty sure he's talking about this:
https://www.minelab.com/anzea/accessories/pro-sonic

mbasko said:
iamagoldenoldie2 said:
g,day XXVL,
Pretty sure he's talking about this:
http://www.minelab.com/accessories-1/pro-sonic-1

Thanks Mbasko on reading and re reading I think your right ................................. it was the looking in office works that threw me ? :eek: :eek:

goldwright said:
I know $400 is a lot for a wireless setup but this is good stuff, I feel the audio is actually better than the WM10 and WM12 as even when your body is between the RX and TX it runs uninterupted. The volume control is great, it allows the use of a speaker but with the volume down on the SDC to calm it down a bit, have tried the unit plugged into the GPZ headphone jack and allows a slightly lower volume limit and volume on the Z which helps with EMI and ground noises so you can just then turn volume up on the RX instead of the Z. This is the kind of thing I was searching for when I still had the 5000 as you have one wire going from headphone jack to TX. And Minelab can you put the same metal clip on the WM12 from now on please and the rubberised coating on the plastic.

Can only say not cheap but agree .................... a great unit and compliments the SDC making it even sweeter to use.
Thanks to Mr Nenad Lonic of Phase Tech who is definitely the go to guy for product knowledge and super quick delivery ;) ;) ;)
Yes a shameless plug but credit where it is due I say .................... plus I want a damn good price on my Zeeeeeeeeeee ;) :D

yeah, mine lab, pretty xy $399, but its been great in the heat, volume controls excellent , worth the cost mmm, i think so, just for comfort
:)

I went up to Aldi they are selling push bike Bluetooth speakers for $15 each. They have a volume control and a easy rubber mounting strap which I can easily chest mount. I have a seperate Bluetooth sender which I will connect to Nenads headphone lead. As yet I have not tried this out on the field but am optimistic it should work fine. The sender was an ebay pick up for $15 and is very responsive with no latency problems. Will keep you posted as to performance. Certainly a cheap system :)

1486785214_wp_20170211_13_47_13_pro.jpg

It works well. Only minor problem was rewiring adapter plug as minelab do not have conventional stereo wiring. It was a simple cross wiring soldering job. I can tuck the Bluetooth sender inside my detector protector cover and simply chest mount the bike speaker to my harness. The speaker gives out plenty of volume I tried it out on a test piece no sign of delay. I should get around ten hrs running time and can easily recharge sender and speaker with a 2200mah powerbank. :Y:

Just tried it out on my old gold bug2 using conventional stereo connection it really worked well very pleased.

The $400 minelab are charging is a joke. They are not worth the dollars in my opinion.
Others are putting units together for under $200 including Nenads adapter.
There,S no R&D involved just putting the unit together, approx $100 in parts and labour.
Typically minelab.

Latest posts