Chinese Finds-Button and Tin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got word from a Farmer of a Chinese Gold Mining Camp not far from where I live in Northern Victoria, on his property. So naturally I had to check it out. The day started out well finding a Shovel head, a few homemade nails, a belt buckle and a few more bits and bobs. I was told the Camp was in the bottom half of the paddock, so I checked around there and the above was all I found. There were a few strange rock piles around the joint, with rocks spread out not in a heap. So I started detecting around there, and boy, did the detector go off! Every swing and there was a target. It must of been a Kitchen area where I was detecting because I found bits of cast iron in pot shapes and also handles for pans. I was digging in one hole that was full of iron and bit of tin, where underneath a bit of Iron I found a button with 'Oxfords and what looks like Hyan & Co' on it. Also some of the bits of Tin had a Chinese word Stamped into them, wondering if anyone could help me out with some Info on them two finds!

Cheers!

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

My guess on the top one is an opium tin lid :eek: may never know without the rest of it though :)

Agh, yes it could very well be. Did find more Tin in bigger bits and they were a rectangle in shape

Been told the ones I've found were opium lids also. The button is a typical pants/shirt button from the era. Some think they are junk but I love finding them especially with the writing advertising stores on them. You mentioned belt buckle, do you mind posting a pic of it?

Go out from the stones piles (fire hearths) about 50 m and work your way back in. If you have a higher ended detector like a CTX or Deus you may be able to pick out some good stuff among all that ferrous junk. Remember if others have been there they normally just hunt around the stones piles. Look for the depressions on the down side or about 50 m away. They are most likely the trash pits and will contain some good stuff if untouched.

I spent a few years in the mid to late 90's detecting several Ovens (Beechworth) Goldfields and learned a bit.

Latest posts