Inverell fossicking areas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm going to Inverell this Friday 20th January to go fossicking for sapphires. I don't live close and was unsure of areas other than 7 oaks and Billabong Blue which I have been to a few times now. As soon as it's wet they seem to shut the parks up for safety reasons.I want to dig my own, not in a pre dug "salted" pile. As they are predicting rain I'm looking for other options and wanted people's opinions on other fossicking areas such as Nullamana, Bukulla, Swanbrook and Poolbrook. I don't mind hard work to find them. Thanks for any information you can give me.

Swanbrook sux.

Nullamanna, seen some nice stones from there, as it's still on Frazers Creek.

Others you mentioned I haven't tried.

Billabong Blue allows fossicking in the creek there, you don't have to dig the pile, you can dig almost anywhere on the property. I just spent a week there for not many stones, though in saying that I saw some real beauties that were dug there recently over the past week. You'll be working your guts out for them in the extreme heat up there now, and finds are not guaranteed, so it's great you already understand that part of the equation. :) There are still ripper stones there but as I said, patience, perseverence and luck may pay off.

There are other areas there such as Wellingrove and a few other spots near Glen Innes and Guyra such as Sara River.

Drop into the tourist info centres at GI and Inverell for more info.

Thanks Heatho. I have been out the back of Billabong Blue a few times and had some nice finds. They are talking showers for when I'm there which may shut the park so I need some backup plans. I will fossick in the rain as I have done before, that's how keen I am. Just need some ideas of areas that I might still find some decent color. Thanks for your input mate.

Nullamanna or Wellingrove could be the best options if the parks are closed, in my opinion anyway mate. Hope you get some nice stones up there, all the best.

Latest posts