Minelab SD2000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. If this is in the wrong forum please move it. Just got an sd2000 from cash converters. Had no battery pack but I had one and a few coils from a garage sale to suit. I have charged it, voltage is 6.4 volts, plugged it up, plugged in headphones and turned it on, there is sound but almost non existent. What could be wrong? I have a few weeks warranty before I can return it. I am new to P.I. Machines but have a couple of garret AT's so I would love to get this thing working. There is also a coulter booster but not sure how it hooks in as I hear nothing when plugged in. Have plugged headphones into iPod and work fine. Thanks in advance for any help.

I had an sd2000 and know a little. Firstly 6.4v is way low. 6.8v should be minimum. 7.3v is what the battery makes when fully charged. Theres more it could be. Is it standard or modified? What state are you in?

Will try to recharge again. It is modded, both frequency and channel mods, though I don't know how to use them? In nsw near Canberra

With charged battery turn machine on with tone knob fully clockwise and threshold knob fully clockwise. It should be loud and very noisy now (unusable). Watch on YouTube how to adjust and use it through the video instruction. If you need help let me know and I'll pm you my number and we can talk through it all and what your mods do.

The volume on the 2000 was always a bit low but it should be loud enough to hear , if its very faint and almost impossible to hear then something isnt right.
Anyway im sure Adelaide can help you out if not give me a shout :Y:

Recharge battery and tried again, same result even at 7.1v pulled plastic dome off the top of the battery and found one wire from headphone jack broken completely off. Resoldered wire, hooked it all up and is working nice and loud even without the booster. Thanks for the advice. Just need to work out the ground balance and mod dials now.

So in addition to the Zed, I have a modded SD2000, mainly as a "just in case" back up contingency :)
One thing I know nothing about at all is the DD/Mono switch. I flick it up or down and it doesnt seem to do much, except make the threshold louder.
It has a red button down at bottom of it...is that DD or mono when its down :( ???!!! Any help would be great!...
Pic:
1553326229_s-l1600.jpg

if it has a dd mono switch it would be near the coil plug not the power plug as shown

Those to knobs side by side on the horizontal would be gain control for both channels i thing ..

small switch near the big one maybe internal amp on / off

just my thoughts

Gef

gef12 said:
if it has a dd mono switch it would be near the coil plug not the power plug as shown

Those to knobs side by side on the horizontal would be gain control for both channels i thing ..

small switch near the big one maybe internal amp on / off

just my thoughts

Gef
You may well be onto something thanks mate!...Yes it could well be an amp switch as it does seem to effect the threshold....The 2 knobs are tone and boost.
Someone did tell me the switch was a dd/mono switch, but could be completely wrong.

so you should or may have 2 x extra volume type controls around the other side ...
if so they would be gain for both channels

no I dont :( Thiking logically about this now though, I wonder if the switch turns the boost on or off...I will try that when I have her plugged in next!

Hi i have just joined your forum. I have a minelab SD2000 which is in need of repair. Can anyone help me I live in Childers QLD does anyone know of any repair centre in the area. Many Thanks Larry