Shoalhaven

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

In the process of obtaining a high banker and living in the Shoalhaven, been thinking of fossicking for a while and a reason to get the kids out of the house. Looking for a spot along the Shoalhaven you can camp and do some fossicking, even just panning for fun with the kids. I'm new to all of this and am not asking for secret spots or anything. Looked into Yalwal, but have heard camping there can be risky and noisy due to some of the people that go there with motor bikes and up drinking all night.

Ideally want somewhere quiet, can go swimming or just put a pan in and have a look.

I have 2 days a week free at the moment and hoping to find good high banking spots in the future. Any advice to a noob in the Shoalhaven would be greatly appreciated. I've read the forums, watched YouTube vids, looked into local, state, fed legislation about what you can and can't do, it is a huge amount of information to process and at times ambiguous.

Am also going to get an annual permit for state forests.

I would also be keen for anyone living In The Shoalhaven wanting some company and doesn't mind doing a bit of teaching to feel free to contact me. I'm generally free on Mondays and Thursday's, work all other days.

Nice to meet you all and see you on the forums!

Matt

Good to see someone else from this area welcome
Oallen ford is a good place to go there is swimming you can camp on the river but no camping on the top part you will see the signs
I am going up there tomorrow and will be under the bridge there is always gold there however it is only small stuff so if you are around come and say hi
I use a highbanker detectors are a waste of time up there
Another place is stuarts crossing
Use google earth and another called six maps they can and will be your best friend
Also read all you can on here you will learn a lot for everyone
Last thing there is no such thing as a stupid question when you are learning

Welcome to the group, As said oallen is a good spot to have a scratch around at, Yalwal even tho gold was found there and it is a good spot for camping when the ferals aren't around it isn't a spot you want to prospect in, as it is all NP or conservation area and to get caught in there prospecting/fossicking will ruin your day, big "no no" prospecting in national parks or conservation areas
Hope it helps a little
Cheers
Jamie

Welcome mate. You'll always get colour in your pans at oallen ford but as marksmen said it's fine stuff.

I been there a couple times with a highbanker and had some good results. Main thing is we go there and have a BBQ, a laugh and the Gold part is a bonus. I seen plenty of people swimming there and also in kayaks.

I was wondering about next time I go to maybe take some yabby traps. Anyone know if there's any yabbies in the Shoalhaven? I'm sure I felt something having a going at my boots last time I was there.... Lol

hi boulders
yes there are yabbies there and you missed a good day up there today lots and lots of the yellow stuff

Worf22
you will find under the bridge on the waters edge is a very good place to start to get the intrest going
oops sorry boulders i told him our spot lol

7.62marksman said:
hi boulders
yes there are yabbies there and you missed a good day up there today lots and lots of the yellow stuff

Worf22
you will find under the bridge on the waters edge is a very good place to start to get the intrest going
oops sorry boulders i told him our spot lol

It's all good mate. They ain't going to get 10000 members on here if people are all hush hush. Hope he finds plenty and comes down with the fever.

Did u finish digging out my hole? I knew I should have gone over it with the 4wd a few times to compress it back shut... Lmao.

Thanks all for your kind words and advice, all taken on board, very much appreciated, looking forward to getting started and as boulders says, BBQ, a laugh and a bonus of finding some gold. Will definitely try that spot out at Oallen 7.62marksman.

Many thanks again good people.

Matt

Hi all
Finally started fossicking last weekend at sunny corner and got some colours in the pan. :D
So now going to head south to Stewart crossing. Could someone point me in the direction of fossicking areas or maps .
Ray

Hi and welcome to the forums. Not sure but I thought high bankers were illegal in NSW. I'm no expert so I could be wrong but it's something you might want to check. Have fun and good luck mate.

Squint said:
Hi and welcome to the forums. Not sure but I thought high bankers were illegal in NSW. I'm no expert so I could be wrong but it's something you might want to check. Have fun and good luck mate.

Check the date on my post about highbankers
The highbanker that i wrote about was in 2017 when they were still legal and every man and his dog had one
Since they have now made them illegal it just gathers dust

Squint said:

Newbie just resurrected this thread, originally posted before Highbankers became illegal :Y: all good.

you can still use a highbanker...albeit without the pump...pumps are out...unless said pump is hand operated....such as those made by gold n sands etc...or you can syphon water....or use buckets....etc :cool:

reefer said:
you can still use a highbanker...albeit without the pump...pumps are out...unless said pump is hand operated....such as those made by gold n sands etc...or you can syphon water....or use buckets....etc :cool:

That sounds like the go, pump to a header tank then syphon to the machine. :perfect:

Latest posts