Sluice or highbanker mats / matting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Backed woven matting in all my kit! Got it from Clark rubber in Cairns. I like to collect all the fine heavies!
I wonder if the new Dream matting would work well as a con's clean up unit for the bigger plant? Lots of fine raw tin in our cons!?

I use my dream Matt in a highbanker out in the field when I get home only need to put the cons on a miller table no classification needed

Spain81 said:
I use the Backed woven matting in all my kit! Got it from Clark rubber in Cairns. I like to collect all the fine heavies!
I wonder if the new Dream matting would work well as a con's clean up unit for the bigger plant? Lots of fine raw tin in our cons!?

I use my dream Matt in a highbanker out in the field when I get home only need to put the cons on a miller table no classification needed
Dream mat might be my next pickup, looks the goods. I had a strong desire to get gold hog mats for a while but the more i look into them the less impressed i get

IsThisGold? said:
Spain81 said:

Dream mat might be my next pickup, looks the goods. I had a strong desire to get gold hog mats for a while but the more i look into them the less impressed i get
Not to mention the price for gold hog.
Its not to bad if you only want one mat type for a small section of your sluice, but if you buy a few different types, it adds up really quick.

Today I purchased some 'miners moss' from Bunnings.
The mat:
1513326949_img_0600.jpg

Cut to correct width.
1513327001_img_0602.jpg

Put it in sluice an cut the overhang off.
1513327029_img_0603.jpg

All done! :Y: :D
1513327029_img_0609.jpg

Going to test it after Christmas hopefully. I'll keep you guys updated when I test it out! Should work a treat! - Jack :Y:

Ahh Bunnings!

Chris from Vo-Gus Prospecting uses a Bunnings mat in one of his sluices, I have been trying to track down the mat.......crazy thing is......he uses the mat upside down and it has little pockets for catching material, seems to work a treat for him.

I take it the mat is not stuck down? That little flap of the mat at the end of the flare might be an issue? Can see water lifting it and gold working its way under. I would suggest Stanley knife flush with the first riffle!

Hope you get a pile of Christmas gold hehe ;)

Yeah the mat is held on there by a hole at each end and the expanded metal and riffles over the top, all held down by a wing nut each end.

Ahh yes, I've seen Chris' mat and also a guy who I met at Eldorado last year was using the same thing in his high-banker. He said he still found some small gold in his tailings though. He was belly deep in the middle of the creek shoveling like crazy. But saying that, he cleaned out about once a day, so that might be his problem.
I think the mat that Chris uses is like a car mat.
Thanks for the kind words - Jack

Jack if that mat is not fixed down I guarantee you are going to run into issues with that flap, gold has a mind of its own and has a wonderful way of working in under mats and straight out the end! It would be fine flush with the riffle though.

Yeah hehe, that pocket mat is elusive! I talked to Chris about it, he claims he does not have anything even 200 mesh in his tailings, I think it would require a precise amount of water. The crazy thing is I am only after about a 250mmx200mm piece of it to slot into the first one of 2 riffle spaces of a banker, then just the usual moss/mesh combo after it.

Jack's Gems said:
Yeah the mat is held on there by a hole at each end and the expanded metal and riffles over the top, all held down by a wing nut each end.

Ahh yes, I've seen Chris' mat and also a guy who I met at Eldorado last year was using the same thing in his high-banker. He said he still found some small gold in his tailings though. He was belly deep in the middle of the creek shoveling like crazy. But saying that, he cleaned out about once a day, so that might be his problem.
I think the mat that Chris uses is like a car mat.
Thanks for the kind words - Jack

OUNCE A DAY at ELDORADO!!!!! I never found anywhere near that much, but I do have a tendency to drink piss for a fair portion of the day :|

Lol! Panner, you read that wrong.

He cleaned out his high-banker once a day.
He didn't find one ounce per day lol. I think we'd all move there for an ounce a day! :Y: :D

Yes Chris. The flap is pretty sturdy and it doesn't move that easily. I'll probably make a z bracket or whatever they are called to go over that so the material doesn't do what you stated.
One of these but without the curved front edge:
1513333551_dream_mat_sluice_clamp_1800x.jpg

Seen several of them on the Hume highway today Goldfreak but when your travelling at 110kph it takes a bit of distance to pull up to go back and pick one up.They certainly look like they would do the trick.

Hey guys,
I'm reasonably new to prospecting, and have, been doing lots, and lots of YouTube's, and different websites. Gleaning information from each and everyone of them. As I have, basically, zero, budget at least, for the time being, I am making myself a river sluice (QLD here) out of left over splashback sheeting, and the associated cornering, leftovers from a few years back, reno to our bathroom.

I've read about the pallet angles working well for a few others, and being that I work in transport, managed to pick myself up some of the navy blue angles, that have had their backs broken, and there fore no use for what they were designed for. I will be making the entire sluice length covered with the angles. If I remember, tomorrow, I will get a photo or 2 of the navy blue ones, showing the overhang that should work a real treat in sucking gold into. :koala: :koala: :goldpan:

Latest posts