Bug in the Ear

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other night I had small insect or bug, crawled in to my ear in the night,I could feel this thing in the ear.My wife to the rescue,she put olive oil in the ear and it killed it,much to my relief.
I went to the doctor today and she flushed it out,and said my wife had done the right thing.
So if any one has the same experience,just remember to put some vegetable oil in to the ear

Some things will crawl towards a UV light, maybe if no oil was available that could potentially help. :D
Bugga of an experience to go through :eek: ,... be as bad as swallowing a fly ! :eek:

Had 1 fly into my ear once while sitting under a light, oh the pain was off the scales. My wife did the same thing with oil, hospital next day (Sunday) and the quack tried to no avail. They suggested I go to Melb, Eye and Ear hospital. Didn't want to waste a day so the wife suggested using an infant suction hose and bingo out it came.

I like the UV light idea Silver, the bug in my ear was big though. I think it was trapped by the little hairs in my ear which annoyed it and in turn caused it to flap and wriggle on my ear drum hence the pain scale.

Safest option is to use oil.

I know second hand of the experience, as hiking with my dad (and lady friend) in Wilsons Prom, we came across this lone hiker madly smashing his ear with water in a stream. He had an ant (we think) in it, and was begging for help. We (dad) put cooking oil in it, but it seemed to make the critter bite and the guy had to be held for around 15 mins. When that subsided, my dad hiked out with him (around 1 hour) to make sure he was OK and drove him to hospital - he seemed OK on the way (I was told). Dad was a great dude - always doing deeds like that :)

Never had a bug in my ear and don't want one but years ago when I I used to ride dirt bikes I ended up with a leach inside my eyelid. Was to wet so I had to remove my goggles to ride and noticed that my eye was getting itchy. So when we stopped for a break I asked my mate to have a look and there was nothing wrong but looks a bit swollen , ,after a bit more of a rub out dropped a big fat ( full of blood) leach. Totally freaked me out and was the end of the ride for me. Couldn't see out of it for a few days but no harm done physically.

Haven't googled it but gotta ask why a flea in your ear? Would be bloody annoying , maybe a old style of punishment . I like it if so. Better look It up

Lightning ridge to tuena, the biggest f****n tick u will ever see . To this day still have the scar tissue that won't heal.x 10. Everywhere they bit still leaves a lump

That's not good . Luckily in my neck of the woods we don't get ticks. Not yet anyway.

I worked with a man who could only move his eyes.....I started my shift at 8am...and noticed his ear was blocked with a white substance...On closer inspection i found it was baby magots...When i touched his ear they all started scrambling...It locked like a white volcano eruption...A fly had crawled into his ear the day before and layed the larvae...All this happening...and you can only move your eyes :/

Bjay said:
That's not good . Luckily in my neck of the woods we don't get ticks. Not yet anyway.

When ring barking on the cattle stations in FNQ it was the daily ritual to check each other out for tics ................... had a few occasions when had to take the lads to hospital due to the effects of the tic bites causing blood poisoning. They can make you damn crook. You had to be careful when you sat down for smoko that you didn't sit on a nest of them.
The neighbor here feeds the roo's which as a result brings them around and have asked him to stop as they are usually infested with tics and then end up on my dog as they drop off the roo's after hopping around the yard :rolleyes: . Thats also usually with the dog real hot on their heels I add here :D