G`day from the Fossickers Way

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditch

Doug
Reaction score
Hello All,

Have been an occasional fossicker for gold & gemstones for many a year, mainly around Barraba where I live, Woodsreef, Bingara, Crow Mountain & Nundle areas. Have an interest in old mining towns & their history & enjoy travelling to those areas. A mate got me into fossicking over 30 years ago, still enjoy getting out & about with him & a recent trip up to Upper Bingara has sparked my interest again.

Stumbled upon this forum while doing some research into the geology of the Fossickers Way & thought I would sign up. Into 4wding, fishing, photography & most things associated with the outdoors.

Only too happy to help out with info on locations around my area, water levels, access etc.

Cheers & good hunting!

Hey Ditch
Welcome and expect a barrage of questions from me.
I plan on going to Bingara ater this year and will pop you some questions later.

Neil

NeilM said:
Hey Ditch
Welcome and expect a barrage of questions from me.
I plan on going to Bingara ater this year and will pop you some questions later.

Neil

Thanks Neil, only too happy to help - fire away!.

Ditch

I want to go north (from Central Coast) for a week later this year.
My thoughts are Bingara, however never been there and I want to detect where there are old diggings.
I called someone from the bingara.com.au website and they were very vague and advised most areas are private property.
Other people have told me it is okay to prospect there.
I don't want to pan though.

So, are there old diggings -mullock heaps I can detect at?

If I go for a week is it worth my while to go to inverell or similar to look for saphires or gem stone (never done that before)
I am not an experineced prospector so if these are silly questions -sorry.

Are there any info places there that will point me in general directions?

Anywhere else around there (generally speaking of course) where you can suggest may be ok for detecting.

I tried Nundle and in 3 days had nothing but as I said - not much experience and definitely going back there.

Any suggestions or info welcome

Neil

NeilM said:
Ditch

I want to go north (from Central Coast) for a week later this year.
My thoughts are Bingara, however never been there and I want to detect where there are old diggings.
I called someone from the bingara.com.au website and they were very vague and advised most areas are private property.
Other people have told me it is okay to prospect there.
I don't want to pan though.

So, are there old diggings -mullock heaps I can detect at?

If I go for a week is it worth my while to go to inverell or similar to look for saphires or gem stone (never done that before)
I am not an experineced prospector so if these are silly questions -sorry.

Are there any info places there that will point me in general directions?

Anywhere else around there (generally speaking of course) where you can suggest may be ok for detecting.

I tried Nundle and in 3 days had nothing but as I said - not much experience and definitely going back there.

Any suggestions or info welcome

Neil

Few areas around Upper Bingara along Barrack Crk would be worth a try, not a large area but accessible with old workings. Couple of other areas there too might be worth a go, Petticoat Flat & the Ballarat Lookout area. Used to be a lot of Crown land around there but has since been leased. Paul Myers runs Three Creeks Gold mine at Upper Bingara, I think it is still open. You can access his land for a small fee & he also teaches Detecting, I`ll have to dig his phone number up for you, he is very knowledgable on the area.

Another area is Bobby Whitlow, north of Bingara, only been there once panning, might be worth a look.

If you are heading up to the Bingara area you will probably pass thru Barraba (where I live), lot of old workings at Woodsreef, 20 km out of town. Have seen a few nice finds from out there from detecting the old heaps. Crow Mountain also has some old workings & hardly sees a detector as it is not very well known.

I have a few maps & some info on those areas if you would like it, my email is [email protected] if you would like to shoot me off a email I can send you what I have (might take me a week or so to round it up).

Have not done any fossicking for Sapphires around Inverell, no info about that sorry!

Ditch
wow didn't expect that much info, very welcome though.

I will email.
Think I will get the map out and maybe spend a few days at the places mentioned near Barraba
Great info about the Three Creeks - will call Paul and try to get a lesson with him

Thanks for the info
neil

Hi Ditch, my partner and I have recently moved to Barraba and love to get out fossicking, We are still beginers and mostly use a river sluice and an old vlf detector. Was wondering if you could please help with some good locations to go for gold and we only have a two wheel drive these days. Thanks very much for your time and we really appreciate any help you can give.

FossickingFever said:
Hi Ditch, my partner and I have recently moved to Barraba and love to get out fossicking, We are still beginers and mostly use a river sluice and an old vlf detector. Was wondering if you could please help with some good locations to go for gold and we only have a two wheel drive these days. Thanks very much for your time and we really appreciate any help you can give.

The best spot that is accessible by 2wd would be behind the old Woodsreef Church on Nangarah Creek. Drive past the church thru the gate & you can park right at the creek. Might be a lack of water there at the moment but plenty of old workings & whats left of old buildings to check out. Anywhere along the creek downstream should be ok to fossick, just be aware that the other side of the creek bed is a National Park Conservation Area.

The area used to be the main village back in the day, the reef was located on the hill to the east of the church. The remains of the stamper is still there, you will see whats left of the ramp up to it on the way to the creek.

You will probably see some recent workings in the creek, some good bedrock to work around. As you probably know there is an old asbestos mine there as well so its up to you whether you go there or not.

Might arrange a weekend to met up when it warms up a bit & there is some water about & I can show you around.

Best of luck, Ditch.

Thank you very much, sounds like a great spot and we will go have a scratch in the dirt soon. It would be great to meet up some day and get shown the ropes around here too, thank you for your time and advice we very much appreciate it.

Welcome. Would be good to hear of some of your workings. I am up that every now and then. Lots of virgin ground

Welcome Ditch , if you come to Tassie for a Fish or Fossick holiday let me know.glad to help out.
Cheer Colin.

Latest posts