Greenhornet_au finds thread

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you gentlemen, Kato is after me to give her unfettered access to the forum for both posting and for research of her interests.

I will set that up for her but all posts will go under my name for easy monitoring by me.

Dont be surprised if she asks direct and indirect questions, she isnt silly but may not quite know how to phrase some things.

Thank you Silver

Thank you SinHof

Kato has quite a collection of coins, dec and pre-dec, other items coming out of her ears too.

Testing them AND recording details is a good task for her.

No.3 is very keen so she will get as much time as I can give her to get her going, she is on her way.

We have been doing a few night hunts and some day hunts, its been awhile since posting any finds, so Kato and I will be catching up
over the next week and posting pic's of finds.

We will try to be a little more disciplined and be updating after each hunt from now on.

Dont be surprised if I post for M2 (6yrs) as well, she is just starting out.

GH - A night hunt and day hunt combined.

1485136034_img_0265.jpg

GH - A month ago - 1942 half penny and Euro 10c

1485136236_img_0262.jpg

1485136337_img_0260.jpg

Here are my settings for general park hunting.

First do a noise cancel. Leave ground balance off if in mild to medium ground, if in heavy mineralised ground you may need to use ground balance.

Settings are:

Mode: Coins
Fast: on
Deep: off
Target Separation: High Trash in high junk clutter or low trash if there is not much junk.
Tones: Combined
Response: Normal or Long. (long can give a perception of greater depth, though stick with normal to start).
Sensitivity set to Auto.

Nothing special as it's almost the standard settings.

Best of luck with it.

Okay, well Kato isnt quite ready yet to put up a post, so I will post M2's finds.

M2 is my third child, she is adopting Kato's Ace 250 and starting to learn the ropes, she has had some success with common targets
from an area where I go for a target rich zone.

M2's kit - Ace 250, ML propoint, Deteknix digger, bum bag for finds.

I think it is better to find SOMETHING rather than nothing if you want to encourage a kid, so sinkers it is and anything else is a bonus
for her.

After this hunt we also went to another site where we picnic, she found some coins and even jewelery bits, she was very excited with that, no pics sorry.
So another kid hooked a little bit, see if she sticks with it, if not its okay too. :lol:

Left of the big sinker at the bottom, is a fob watch winder/knob.

1485212677_img_0266.jpg

Kato is 12yrs, M1 is 7yrs, M2 is 6yrs.

Kato was introd at the age of 3 with a Garret Sea Hunter, at the beach searching for Ferraro's hidden in the sand amongst the
beach goers huddled under the jetty - it was like 42C.
She thought it was Captain Feather Swords gold chocolate treasure - hence my bi-line.
Kack funny watching her holding the shaft over her shoulder and swinging it as best she could, while avoiding people,
my wife walking ahead and dropping 'gold nuggets' into the sand. Even the beach goers cheered for her at each find she eagerly dug up.
(wrap them in glad wrap as the sand does get in past the foil.)

The other kids have grown up watching it all happen and the last 2 years we have been more focused into the hobby,
the siblings are keen to try it out now, and M2 is more keen to find things than M1.

I have done the same for my kids kindy, for 60 kids and choc coins but had to go to real coins as they were concerned with maybe
some food allergies, teaching and seeing 60x 4yr old girls and boys doing this was absolutely magic, cost me $12 but that is nothing
compared to the amazed faces when they find something in the sand pit 4mx8m.
And they still remember in school, up to the 3rd grade so far, they still talk about it when they see me - so cool.
I do it every year.
Still on the Governing Council last 8 years !

No photo Gh (didn't happen)(ha) :lol:
waiting to see dusty silver now ! 8) :p :p

Nice full set of 62's Gh, even nicer when the young ones appreciate it all in the right way too, my young ones like their coin collections too, although the eldest fella has spent a few here and there along the way, but they were only found in circulation coins anyway, and nothing rare (whew). :D

Silver, my no.3 'M2' decided she did not want to spend her coin in the Canteen and decided to dip into No.2's 'M1' coin collection,
and spend that.

She was caught be M1 and it all came out.
I was volunteering in the Canteen but had not been there for 6 weeks, the next day I was there and little miss M2 turned up with coins AGAIN.
Problem was sorted at home, little miss M2 had her money box distributed amongst the the other 3 kids and asked how she felt about that.
Not happy Jan!
BUT it brought it home to her very fast.

We also have setup a way for them to earn just spending money now, it was not a problem before with the first two, but M2 is a little more
'peer' pressured - something to watch in the future.

'62 is my birth year, I will be getting another 3 sets for the other kids too.
Also my wifes if available.

Going to trust the eldest with all those Florins you have found ? ;)

Greenhornet_au said:
Silver, my no.3 'M2' decided she did not want to spend her coin in the Canteen and decided to dip into No.2's 'M1' coin collection,
and spend that.

She was caught be M1 and it all came out.
I was volunteering in the Canteen but had not been there for 6 weeks, the next day I was there and little miss M2 turned up with coins AGAIN.
Problem was sorted at home, little miss M2 had her money box distributed amongst the the other 3 kids and asked how she felt about that.
Not happy Jan!
BUT it brought it home to her very fast.

We also have setup a way for them to earn just spending money now, it was not a problem before with the first two, but M2 is a little more
'peer' pressured - something to watch in the future.

'62 is my birth year, I will be getting another 3 sets for the other kids too.
Also my wifes if available.

Going to trust the eldest with all those Florins you have found ? ;)
Proper good learning experience Gh ,... and no, not just yet, although they all still have all their PDs(cause you can't spend them)(so they think), at least they all love money and coins, so their finds will be well looked after through life. :D

WILL be posting up some finds from sessions recenly and in the past, I want to catch up

Just been too busy.

Last night evening we went out, Mrs Gh felt crook so we had to go, mainly rubbish in the ground
but had an odd deep target and went down 8" to pull out the ring.
Found the $2 in the first 30sec on hunting and Kato dug one up 3m away even more dinged by mowers !
We found TWINS. :D

I am pretty sure the ring is silver, I have put it and the $2 into CA to see what happens.

1487555657_img_0355.jpg

1487555657_img_0357.jpg

1487555658_img_0358.jpg

Hey GH, that ring, after a bit of a CAB wrap it up in aluminium foil tightly and give it a sqeeze for a couple of minutes, if it starts to heat up and smells like rotton eggs then it's probably silver, that will really help clean it too, the reaction doesn't take long. I've done it with a few silver objects and it works well.

Nice hunting.