You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Marauder
11 January 2017 08:51 am

Hey guys, In the research period for finding spots to detect. Hit two spots over christmas and the second one there were holes everywhere! Obviously well hit by someone with a detector with discrimination, cos there was still a bit of iron around.

The Tully maps, and similar are pretty easily accessible, at less than $20 each, I was wondering how hard these areas are hit by detectorists?

Crowdsourcing here, but is it more likely to find gold outside these areas? Maybe in neighbouring areas?

davent
11 January 2017 08:57 am

Tully FNQ?

goldtruck59
11 January 2017 09:17 am

They are most peoples go to maps and mostly all that is available easily to get started on the gold areas.
I use them regularly for reference as in most cases they a reasonably accurate at least at the time they were done. There are many areas that need updating.
But in answer to your question, yes they are very well trodden at least in my experience.
Research will generally give you fresher leads.

GT smile

PX Ranger Super Cab , GPX5000, Dog called Nugget, wife called boss.
From Near Bendigo

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

SteelPat
11 January 2017 09:24 am

I use the Tully maps as a baseline to see where gold was found in the past. Then look at the topo maps and try to see if there are areas they may have missed.

Also Geovic had (and I do say had as the latest version 3 doesnt have all the overlays that 2 had) shallow diggings marked - some of which are not on Tully or Stones maps. You can still download the data from the Vic Earth resources site but you will need to convert it to read it.

GPX4500, Eureka Gold, Minelab Pro-Find 25, numerous experimental detectors/circuits and coils. (Another GPZ7000 in the future)

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

Marauder
11 January 2017 09:32 am

Yeah I noticed that they have changed the available layers on GEOVIC. At least in the annonymous version. Are they still there in the paid version?

XIV
11 January 2017 10:13 am

davent wrote:

Tully FNQ?

I'm guessing not.
Geovic. Victoria.
Plenty of places around Tully FNQ tho.

One can never be wrong at doing the right thing.

SteelPat
11 January 2017 12:13 pm

Marauder wrote:

Yeah I noticed that they have changed the available layers on GEOVIC. At least in the annonymous version. Are they still there in the paid version?

Dont have to pay for the registered version. Just have to register lol. The layers arent there either. I managed to download and convert them before they closed off Ver2 but didnt get all the areas. I have downloaded data for all Vic but its huge and I need to have time to split it up into workable areas.

GPX4500, Eureka Gold, Minelab Pro-Find 25, numerous experimental detectors/circuits and coils. (Another GPZ7000 in the future)

RM Outback
11 January 2017 12:22 pm

davent wrote:

Tully FNQ?

John Tully map books on Victorian gold fields, golden triangle.

1 user likes this post: Mackka

Mackka
11 January 2017 01:31 pm

Thanks RM. That puts a different slant on things.
Mackka

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site