Is this gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone
I am only new to prospecting and in not 100% sure if this is gold. I thing it is, I have found a lot of fine gold but have never found anything bigger. The first one is on the end of a paddle pop stick and the second is of some fines under my microscope. Any tip would be great.
1482981646_img_1373.jpg

1482981647_img_1374.jpg

1482981648_img_1375.jpg

1482981649_img_1376.jpg

If it's heavy for it's size yes, it looks the goods
Hope it not a golden rough wrapper scrunched up :lol:

Hard to tell Alex.Assuming you panned it,how did it act in the pan?Was it the last thing in the pan with some black sand or ironstone for instance?Looks like gold,if it's not I am interested to hear what it is.This is all I have to offer,but sure some more experienced members will chime in.

Looks like gold. Easiest way to determine it without damaging it is to determine its specific gravity on your biggest piece if you have access to a chemists scales (gold is far higher SG than other yellow minerals)

Alexbaker90 said:
Yes very exciting. It is one of the last things in the pan and its heavy I am just a bit confused by the colour of the other side of it?https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9086/1482985923_img_1377.jpg
I've seen quite a few nuggets with a black material attached. Depending on area it could be a very dark ironstone - hematite, laterite or even magnetite. It may even be a combination of different types of these minerals.
The ones I've seen were from the area around Hill End NSW.

I do not think that is gold.

Send it to me and I will double check and then get rid of it.
Also send me exact details where you found it and I will go and remove the rest of that rubbish

;)

Latest posts