You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

bob
04 October 2016 07:00 pm

Well done Chriso 1988 on your first nugget with your Eureka Gold. A piece of gold on your first visit to a gold bearing area is a very good result particularly when people have reported results of no gold in the area you were working using better, more expensive machines. It took me three and a half years and many visits to find my first piece. Even though the Eureka struggled a bit you still found a nugget. Next time time you set up a little depth test comparison like you mentioned in your post, try each frequency and also try varying the threshold to see which set up gets the best signal response. Well done on your first nugget find.

Cheers Bob.

Minelab Eureka Gold.Persistence is the key to success.

1 user likes this post: Chriso1988

roy cobb
04 October 2016 07:05 pm

Thats a great find and you have yo remember that the EG is only a vlf machine not a PI so you have done very well

Eureka Gold 15" coilteck coil 6" coiltek Minelab pinpointer X terra dual pack plus 6" 3 khz coil Grey Ghost Headphones Tyger digging tools and a NAPFA member

Chriso1988
04 October 2016 07:36 pm

Thanks fellas , ive been itching to get on gold ground since I brought it and the hours of reaserch help alot .

I dont own any scales so im not sure of the weight, i was second guessing my self when i first saw it , when i picked it up i knew it was the yellow stuff , decivingly heavy for its size , but it the firsy nugget ive held so nothing to relate to .

I did try 6.5khz and it was just as weak , alot of the gold that gets recoverd up this was is small and fairly shallow ( from what ive herd and read ) so i felt 20khz would be the best maybe i should have ran 6.5 maybe the threshold would have been more stable . 60 i had no hope , sounded like R2D2 lol

Really considering an upgrade now , and currently making a slucie , panned of a spot in a small creek and getting some small bits , grabbed a few backets of tailings to so might get lucky with them and will help set up the sluice for the next trip .
Definitely keeping the EG tho had a swing at the beach this morning found a few $ , old trusty big_smile

Chriso1988
04 October 2016 07:40 pm

Yes roy i knew the VLF would suffer with the minerals but didn't realize it would be so bad . I was picking up rocks / small stones with my magnet .

If i had searched around maybe i could of found some more stable ground , but it just seemed to be everywhere . I even took of the skid plate making sure there was no dirt in there ( i keep the joint fully taped up so was all clean )

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
04 October 2016 09:00 pm

Sometimes running in Fixed ground balance can help to ID the hotrocks, as when you are in Tracking and sweeping over them, the sound will change so can be harder to identify.

Metal detectors, Coils, Pin-pointers, Training - Phase Technical Website

Chriso1988
05 October 2016 10:58 pm

Yeh thats true , i did start useing fixed and rebalance every few meters or so when the threshold was becoming unbearable.

What_Trigger
30 December 2016 10:20 pm

Just browsing around the net and discovered the Eureka is NLA.

Miners den dont list it and gold city detecting actually lists it as discontinued

mbasko
31 December 2016 07:45 am

Minelab are reportedly releasing a low price gold detector aimed at the African market. Maybe it's replacing the Eureka Gold?

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

What_Trigger
02 January 2017 04:31 pm

Will be interesting if that's the case. But having owned the eureka for around 6 months I dont think ill buy another minelab vlf gold machine.

Playing in the back yard with the Eureka where the ground is pretty tame (around 30-35 GB on the 705) i drop a .42g nugget on the surface and the 20khz hits on it harder than the 60khz in fine which in the field would be dismissed as its only a tiny wavier which i dont think is right and thats with the sensitivity around 3 o'clock.
Running the eureka in 60khz in Durakai i have no choice but to run fixed GB and fine audio as running in any tracking the threshold is all over the place and normal audio it again is all over the place plus nulling heaps and this is with the threshold turned up full and sensitivity around 10-11 o'clock.

Now with me playing in the backyard today as per earlier in the post im thinking whats the point in running 60khz (which is why i bought it) as running in 20khz i can use tracking and normal audio and remain steady on the threshold plus pick a smaller item and deeper... very confused with this machine.

lol, Nenad you may have a sale soonish on the gold racer if im not scarred from high frequency's by then or it'll be the fors gold+ after i sell the eureka

neddy
03 January 2017 12:19 am

I used to use a minelab 18000 which is the earlier model it had the same three frequencies. I always ran it on 60 klz. It found me hundreds of tiny nuggets. I was able to get a six inch coil for it and it was great for going over old low mineralised mulloch heaps. If you can get one they will fit on the eureka gold. The six inch coil on that machine would be a real asset.

What_Trigger
05 January 2017 09:45 pm

Thanks Neddy, im not sure just running a smaller coil will help my problem though in the 60khz.

Here's a small video of just hovering the coil about 2-3 inches off the ground with the settings shown. Slow tracking also does this but with a slower pulsing rate.
Not sure this is normal but to me having it at minimum sensitivity it should not do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXUFmW-KEuI

Last edited by What_Trigger (05 January 2017 09:57 pm)

bob
06 January 2017 01:02 am

Looking at your video I think that you are running your threshold way too high for 60khz and using fine audio could be a problem too. Early in this thread the use of fine audio was discussed and not recommended by Argyle who seemed to have some extensive experience with this machine. Au fever and I tested fine audio in our local areas and it was not a good search mode. Fine audio just made hot rocks and mineralisation sound more like targets. I set up as follows. I first set the frequency, always fast track and always normal audio. Discrimination is always off as well. The tone always remains set at my favourite pitch. Threshold is turned right down, sensitivity is set at maximum, then I turn on the machine and slowly increase the threshold. I set the threshold just past the mosquito buzz so that it is a steady hum. 60kHz is very sensitive and it is difficult to get it to run smoothly if mineralisation or hot rocks are present. If you are expecting the Eureka to run smoothly like the PI detectors then I think that you will be disappointed. The only way I can achieve this is to set the sensitivity to its lowest and the threshold to its highest. In this configuration the detector shows little ability to find deep targets or small ones. The manual suggests only lowering the sensitivity enough to make the detector usable. Also I noticed that your coil cable is loosely wound round the shaft. In the field if you bump rocks and plants the cable will vibrate and cause false signals. Early on when I first started I though that I had somehow damaged my detector. It was playing up a bit like yours and making false signals. When I got back to the car and started to disassemble the detector I noticed the cable lock ring was not done up. I tightened it, tested the detector and went back searching. I have another post to add here that you might find interesting considering the area I have been working is highly mineralised with iron stone, no quiet grey mullocks heaps anywhere.

Cheers Bob.

Last edited by bob (06 January 2017 01:05 am)

1 user likes this post: AU Fever

What_Trigger
06 January 2017 01:19 am

Hi Bob, that video was normal audio, just the angle makes it look like fine.

Regarding threshold, if i lower it the machine is just ballistic and makes the video look tame unless its run at a strong negative threashold.
lol I did have the coil cable taped up earlier in the day but needed to adjust the shaft length, guess where i had all the cable tightly wound and fully taped over

Im happy with the machine in 20khz and 6.4khz it does warble groan etc but is plenty usable still. I have looked over the basics with connectors etc.

I also understand that 60khz is more prone to feedback but hell the dam thing aint moving and that definitely ain't usable as it continues if it sits perfectly still resting on the ground, the only way i can use that frequency is fixed GB and fine audio and yes sensitivity is shot to shite. You say you can get yours to run smooth with the sensitivity turned down? I cant go any further down except to turn it off

Last edited by What_Trigger (06 January 2017 01:23 am)

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
06 January 2017 01:24 am

I think your coil might have a problem. Do you have another one you can try?

What_Trigger
06 January 2017 01:30 am

Unfortunately not Nenad, the unit and coil was sent to back to minelab around 4 months ago due to small bumps making the unit false severely. They sent the unit back with a new coil in which fixed that problem also the control box had been opened as the minelab sticker was broken.

I think it may require a second return???

Last edited by What_Trigger (06 January 2017 01:31 am)

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
06 January 2017 01:54 am

There is a chance it's EMI. Was it sounding the same in 20 kHz? Maybe send that video link to ML service.

What_Trigger
06 January 2017 02:05 am

20 and 6.4 are perfectly steady while the detector is still and spent the day happily detecting even close to my fathers 5000.
The 60 only starts that as it gets closer to the ground and has been like that for a couple of months.

But i will send that video to minelab tomorrow per your recommendation and see what they say

neddy
06 January 2017 08:27 am

Running 60 khz. Don't run in fixed. Turn sensitivity down. Turn threshold to silent. With tiny test nugget set threshold. Turn sensitivity up gradually until machine starts to give false signals then back it off slightly.

1 user likes this post: mxt sniper

bob
06 January 2017 11:53 am

I had a closer look at your video and then went outside to see if my detector would do the same as yours. Setting up my detector to match your settings the only time my detector behaved like yours was at start up. If I held the detector off the ground it warbled and wavered like yours until I lowered it to the ground and the ground balance took over and a smooth threshold formed. So maybe you are right and there is still something wrong with the detector. Strange that the other two frequencies are okay but maybe they compensate for the inability of the machine to correctly ground balance. From my brief experiment it would seem as though you could have a problem with the ground tracking switch perhaps it's stuck in fixed mode or something. That is the switch appears to be working on the outside but not on the inside. I think that your idea of sending the video to minelab is a good one and hopefully you will get a quick and satisfactory fix.

Cheers Bob.

What_Trigger
06 January 2017 02:01 pm

Just had a quick fiddle in the back yard with pretty normal soils.

with the same settings i could get the sensitivity to around 1 o'clock before it started to become a little too erratic. So something must be wrong with the tracking if it plays up in pretty calm ground.
Currently awaiting feedback from minelab themselves

bob
06 January 2017 02:21 pm

This is slightly off the current topic but I think I have a good story to tell. In June 2016 I was excited to post my first gold find dubbed 'The Mitten of Hope' weighing a massive 0.118grams found with the Eureka Gold after three and a half years of searching. Late November a friend of mine asked if it would be okay if his dad came over and did a day with me in my local area. I was very pleased to say "Yes" as Jim is an experienced operator who uses a GPX 5000 and SDC 2300. He finds small gold on a regular basis and the occasional bigger bit. Problem....."Where would I take him?" I didn't want to waste his time spending a day digging junk which is my usual reward for a day out so I decided to go to my sluicing spot where I found my first nugget. Maybe he could find gold where I couldn't and show up the deficiencies of my Eureka.
Jim set me up with the 5000 and he went off with the SDC. I needn't have worried because twenty minutes in Jim had his first piece. By morning tea he also had a brown rock that gave a good signal. After morning tea I got to drive the SDC. I was impressed with the smooth threshold of both machines and picking a target was easy compared to the Eureka. The Eureka struggles as the area is littered with hot rocks. No gold was found in the areas that I had previously detected which was good for me. After lunch we moved and Jim was back on the SDC. He cracked the brown rock into a sandwich bag and 'hey presto' he had his second small nugget. Back at the car for a mid afternoon break Jim had a third small nugget. I was pleased that he had some success. The last session saw me back on the SDC and I managed my second ever nugget 0.13grams. So four small nuggets between us was a good day out. Jim thought so too and I was very pleased when he asked "What are you doing tomorrow?"
Day two another location close by. The result for the day one small nugget each. Jim was very pleased to try a new location and find a bit of gold. What did I learn? Well the difference between my usual sessions and the last two days was the number of tiny pieces of shot that we found with the SDC. Using my 11" and 10x5" in 20kHz , I have found my share of larger shot. Jim called them BBs. The shot we found with the SDC was tiny. So the last five trips out I changed tactics and went back to the 10x5" and because I've been a good little boy Santa delivered a 6" Coiltek Goldseeker for Christmas.Three days using 60kHz I started to find the small shot with the 10x5". I have had the 6" Goldseeker out twice and it found shot as well. Monday 1st Jan 2017 second day out with the 6" Goldseeker I got my second small nugget with the Eureka, 0.144grams. I used the 6" to check areas that I had done with the 10x5" but this nugget was found in an area I hadn't searched. The picture shows the two nuggets found with the SDC (eyes) 0.13 and 0.127grams. The nose is "The Mitten" at 0.118 grams and my latest find (the teeth) weighs 0.144grams both found with the Eureka. The shot is what I have found in five days detecting since Jim's visit. Three days using the 10x5" and two days with the 6" coil.
Thanks to Jim I know that I can find gold using the Eureka. Using the small coil on the SDC showed me that I needed to work slower and lower and look for that small shot. To find the small shot I need to use the smaller coils and 60kHz frequency. This is tough going in my area due to high mineralisation and hot rocks. Small coils and 60kHz works great on quiet grey mullock heaps but they are non existent on my home fields. I wouldn't rush out and buy a 6" goldseeker either as it hasn't found anything new on heaps previously detected with the 10x5". It does give a slightly louder response to small targets but it is also prone to be more unstable in high mineralisation. It is recommended for low mineralised soil1483671580_nuggets_2_2017.jpg So until I can afford something better I will continue to kick aside hot rocks and put up with the warbling threshold and hopefully snag a few more nuggets.

Cheers Bob.

Last edited by bob (06 January 2017 02:30 pm)

3 users like this post: roy cobb, AU Fever, Chriso1988

roy cobb
06 January 2017 04:47 pm

Thanks for the story Bob looking foward to getting out with mine soon in the gold fields so you have given me some hope and I have a 6" coil tongue

Eureka Gold 15" coilteck coil 6" coiltek Minelab pinpointer X terra dual pack plus 6" 3 khz coil Grey Ghost Headphones Tyger digging tools and a NAPFA member

AU Fever
09 January 2017 10:53 am

Hi bob, good report on the 6" Goldseeker. Glad you are getting amongst some of the yellow out there.

I haven't had the chance to get out in the goldfields with mine as yet. But when I do, now I have a better idea of what to expect smile

Feel free to PM me if you want to head out together one day.

AU Fever

It's only rocks and rolls, but I like it....

bob
13 January 2017 06:00 pm

Hi Au Fever
I'll persist with this small coil theory for a while and keep posting any worthwhile results. If I can get some consistency in finds or find a "patch" I'll get in touch with the idea of doing a day together. I think it would be good if there was a 'good' chance of finding some gold and not the usual trash. At the moment it is still very much more misses than hits but I'm hoping that's going to change now that I've had some success.

Cheers Bob.

1 user likes this post: AU Fever

bob
22 January 2017 11:34 pm

Six sessions for the month far. Three whole days and three half days. A good part of two of the full days were wasted because someone was in the spots that I had chosen and I did not have a plan B. I spent a lot of time driving instead of detecting. Mon. 16th was different, I really wanted to go detecting because I had a plan but there were chores to be done first. On my way to the shed to get started I noticed some puddles where the automatic watering system had malfunctioned and my wife called out to tell me the toilet wouldn't flush properly and the bath would not empty. Wow I hadn't started yet. I could see my detecting day disappearing fast. By the time I finished unblocking the sewerage, flushing and cleaning the sewerage pit, fixing the leaking watering system, mowing, edging and blowing and filling some gelcoat on a fibreglass project it was 3:50 p.m. I could still go. The spot I had chosen was forty minutes away I could be detecting by 5:00 p.m. and easily do two hours or so before roos became a problem on the drive home. An hour or so in I was doubting my wisdom as I hadn't pinged a target but then I got a soft signal. One piece of small shot. Moving on to the next mullock heap almost an identical soft signal. Scraping away the bigger surface rocks, the signal really strengthened up. More scraping no more than two cms the target was out. With the target in the scoop and a small bit of dust I was really hopeful. Yes! a small bit of gold. It later weighed in at 0.082 grams. Friday 20th managed another half day. Worked mullock heaps north of where I made the find and also the south but hardly pinged a target. Two small shot. Does the fact that there were few targets mean that the heaps have been thoroughly detected? Is the shallow woking 60kHz missing slightly larger deeper targets? Does anybody find larger deeper targets in mullock heaps? So many unanswered questions. The two shot were in obvious spots and clear targets; they should have been dug. Today, (22nd) a half day (morning) due to the heat. Continued working north to a planned cut off point. Two and a half hours for one shot it was the only target found. Back at the car after a cup of tea I contemplated quitting and going home. The heap where I found the 0.82 grammer was only fifty metres away. I decided to recheck the heap starting with the exact spot where I found my last little nugget. I scraped away the loose dirt from my previous digging and ran the detector over the small area. Using the flat side of the pick I was scraping away small layers and re detecting to see if I was missing anything deeper. After removing some six inches in a square metre area I conceded that I was wasting my time. But maybe I should redo the rest of the heap because I really noticed how much quieter the scraped level dirt was. So I used the side of the pick to scrape away the larger loose stone mostly hot ironstone for about a metre by a metre in front of me. Sweeping over the levelled area I got a soft shot like/gold like signal. Gentle scraping and the target was in the scoop. The very soft signal lead me to think it was shot but no another small piece of gold. A massive 0.062 grams.
1485087460_nuggets_0.082g_and_0.62grams.jpg
More scraping of the heap revealed two small bits of mesh as well. These were missed the first time that I did the heap. Maybe the first gold find got me a bit excited and I was not as thorough as I could have been. Anyway it is good to be finally finding some small bits. I was using the 6" goldseeker. It's a noisy little beast but so far it has found three small ones for 2017.

Cheers Bob.

6 users like this post: Ridge Runner, silver, Wishfull, Kwago, AU Fever, grubstake

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site