Bacchus Marsh victoria. any gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
drove past a big sand quarry just north of Bacchus Marsh today had a quick google earth look and geo vic and there are some rivers one the Lerdy river (no go zone) but a coulpe others. i cant find any info about if there any gold around the area, how is there a huge sand and gravel quarrys there but no gold???.

any one have the answer how is there a sand and gravel being mined out of an old river wash (assuming) but no gold.

Ben

Gold was mined in the Lerderderg gorge and river. The gorge park is just south of the quarry I think your talking about

I recall a friend from Bacchus that use to own a gold maps book on Bacchus marsh. We tried to locate some of the diggings but looked as though they were all on private property.

I live in the marsh and Iv also been interested in finding information. The ground around here looks like it would contain gold has all the right clays and quarts and sands but havnt heard of anyone finding gold ..I'm sure the quarry would have found gold buy now if there was any

Back in the day my Grandfather had land up in the gorge, leased I think, across from where the big parking area & park is, they had a cabin built from river rock, this was well before I was born in 1972, think my dad was only a young teen maybe.(born in 48).
My grandfather had a gold mine there but I have only been to the cabin site along time ago but its very hard to see any remains now I'm told. The mine was up behind the cabin somewhere & had an entry near the river.
I was born & lived in the Marsh for a bit here & there & can remember riding along the track on the other side, back in the mid 80's, & seeing what looked like a mine/cave entrance in the rock face, didn't take much notice at the time because I didn't know Pa had land & mine there. There was another entrance but dad told me it collapsed years ago.
Seen a few different looking places that looked like mines.
That sand quarry was there when I was a kid, its alot bigger now though.

ozziii said:
Back in the day my Grandfather had land up in the gorge, leased I think, across from where the big parking area & park is, they had a cabin built from river rock, this was well before I was born in 1972, think my dad was only a young teen maybe.(born in 48).
My grandfather had a gold mine there but I have only been to the cabin site along time ago but its very hard to see any remains now I'm told. The mine was up behind the cabin somewhere & had an entry near the river.
I was born & lived in the Marsh for a bit here & there & can remember riding along the track on the other side, back in the mid 80's, & seeing what looked like a mine/cave entrance in the rock face, didn't take much notice at the time because I didn't know Pa had land & mine there. There was another entrance but dad told me it collapsed years ago.
Seen a few different looking places that looked like mines.
That sand quarry was there when I was a kid, its alot bigger now though.
That's interesting I may go for a walk out there one day and try to find it ..I know there is no prospecting aloud around there but would be cool to see ..cheers

I wouldn't mind having another look myself one day & seeing if I can find the old mine, can't see much on Google maps but I can see where the hut was. There are big cats up through there as well.
Might have to get onto my old man & see how far from the it was from the cabin.

Im pretty sure they found gold at goodmans creek . I have a book somewhere with a mud map and a bit of info . There is also a mine somewhere there . The book is called stray places by Stephen Barnham I think there is another 1 by the same guy called peppercorn gold but I haven't been able to find it

Latest posts