Nundle Fossicking Trip Dec 2016

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhbutch

John
Reaction score
Hi All,

Warning long post comming up :D :eek:

My first trip away fossicking I went to Nundle with the Family to learn more about the area and hopefully find something shiny, this was a just a get to know the area trip.

Our first stop was at the information centre to get a better understanding of where I could go and couldn't go. I hate to say it but the maps and information provided could have been better, I can understand now why some people end up on private property and get in trouble.

From what I new from research and the little bit of extra information I got from the tourist information centre we set off again to look for Crystals.

I spent about 2 hours playing in the dirt with my kids and ended up with a 5 litre bucket full of Quartz and Crystal, I had to stop the kids from putting everything in as I would have ended up with half a mountain.

Generally we enjoyed ourselves and found it easy digging, well a little effort was required on my part.

Here is the map I made up of where I went on the first day for Crystals.

1483579580_crystal_area.jpg

1483579616_road_to_hanging_rock.jpg

Some of the Crystals we found from the bucket, I need to finish cleaning the rest, got some more nice bits but they are still covered in dirt.

1483579657_img_4874.jpg

So after lunch we went looking for Sapphires and Zircons, my information on where to find these was a little sketchy we did find some in the end (I think) but after I asked 3 different people and getting 3 different answers I went with an old map that showed an area near the turn off to Duncan's Road along Forrest Way about 6.8km's from when you first turn off Barry Road opposite the Hanging Rock Lookout turn off. We got a small jar full of pretty rocks thanks to the kids but I picked out what I thought where the Sapphires and Zircons and showed them to a mate who said he thinks that what they are.....

Sapphires and Zircons (well the person I showed said that's what they looked like)

They all do shine and reflect light and the black rocks look bluish but the camera doesn't show it.

1483579695_img_4875.jpg

After that we headed back to stay overnight at the Fossickers Tourist Park in Nundle, I have to say it is one of the best Caravan parks I have stayed in the people where friendly and helpful the place was spotless and well looked after. We stopped at the Pub and had dinner the atmosphere was great and the food even better plus the cold beer helped a lot. :D

The next morning we tried our hand at panning for gold in the Peel river, again I tried the tourist information centre and got a mud map and was told I could fossick along the rivers and creeks as long as I didn't go through fences not the most helpful information but we did our best.

In the end we stopped at an area along the Peel River about 500m upstream near a bend in the river just back from Swamp creek I think its called where their is free camping. I was only there for a few hours before I had the kids telling me they where bored as they didn't find any rocks made of gold.......

After 6 pans and just starting to get the hang of panning I was starting to find some specs of gold and yes I mean specs ;) all in all with my learning how to pan we found a total of 6 specs for 6 pans. I was happy with that as I was trying to learn the correct method and get used to it. But in the end i gave into the kids and heading home as I had a two hour drive ahead of me.

We plan to head back in January to have another go and I purchased a small sluice to try out and see if I can find any colour that way at least it will keep the kids occupied digging dirt for me :lol:

Anyway I hope this helps someone and if anyone has any tips or maps that they would be willing to share on the Nundle area that would be great.

I reckon the stone on the left in the right hand pile's a sapphire - I think that all the other stones in that pile are spinel JH.

Those in the left hand pile - I wouldn't have a clue [showing my ignorance].

Mungoman said:
I reckon the stone on the left in the right hand pile's a sapphire - I think that all the other stones in that pile are spinel JH.

Those in the left hand pile - I wouldn't have a clue [showing my ignorance].

I agree, one bomb sapphire (common corundum) there but the rest are spinel most likely, a few honey zircons on the left side of the photo.

Thanks all for the feedback I'm only just getting into Fossicking so I have a lot to learn, I will be heading back to Nundle later in the month as I want to explore a little more this time with a small sluice that I have and to do some more panning.

The kids want to get some more crystals so I will head back to the area where I got the first lot and spend an hour or two there before I go and find all that gold ;)

Does anyone know of a good spot to try my luck in the Nundle area for sluicing and panning, I dont need to know anyone's exact spot, just a general area where it is considered decent and I could have a play and maybe find a spec or two.

Thanks again for the advice.

I'm heading back out to Nundle shortly to try out a little Sluice I brought and to let the kids play around and try and find some more crystals.

I'll post up the results when I get back, hopefully I'll need a truck to cart home all the gold ;)

Hi Jhbutch,
Nundle is an interesting area, if you turn off to the right on the first or second track off cemetry road they will take you down to the creek, the top end of swamp creek that runs into the Peel river, you should find some colour if you wish to pan/sluice some gold. To fossick in the state forest up there you will need to go on-line to NSW Forest Corp and organise a fossicking permit,easy enough to do, they are about $27.50 for twelve months from memory and you can include the family on it, money well spent.
Over the past few years a couple of us have detected some nice little nuggies up there, my first little one with the then new GPX5000 came from that area, it's the sort of place you never quite know what you are likely to unearth, happy hunting.
Cheers, SinHof.

Hi SinHof,

Thanks for the tips, I intend to do a little panning and sluicing while the kids and my wife look for Crystals. I have a fossicking permit and yep your right it was $27.50 for 12 months.

A mate is heading up with me to pan as well so we should get some quite time to concentrate on buisness while the others are looking for Crystals. I'll give the area you mentioned a go and let you know how I went when we get back.

Thanks again.

Hi JHbutch,
Glad I could help, Also there a many tracks that come off the LHS of Verdon road, most will lead to some interesting country if you are prepared to look around; some of the tracks may not be driveable at times and fallen trees can also halt progress, not the place to be on very windy days, and it's good form to carry a chain saw just in case, on more than on occasion the noisy axe was required to get in and or out.
Enjoy, SinHof.

Latest posts