Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day all,

I have just purchased a nugget finder 12 inch evolution coil and would like to use it on my GPX5000. Does anyone have any basic settings for this procedure.

Hi pete was wondering if these settings would work with thr double d coils. I am very new at detecting. Thanks Ted

Just keep in mind that the Stabilizer is the equivalent of audio smoothing in the ZED,
BUT,
the lower the number, the higher the filtering.
So a stabilizer of 20 means no noise filter [as in audio smoothing off]
and a stabilizer of 10 is high filtering [audio smoothing high]

I constantly hear people say always run your stabilizer 2 behind the gain, load of rot I say.

1462012465_capture.jpg

Redfin you're spot on as to your comment regarding the stabiliser being set 2 behind the gain.
Stabiliser is the last function to set your detector up in ground you are operating in.
I used to take mine up to 20, listen to the continual breaches in threshold and without looking at the LCD screen begin to wind it back.
I'd keep winding it back until there was the odd breaching of threshold and that was it for me. Some days it was 11 others 14 but generally it was in between those figures.

Will be heading to the GT when it dries out to try the new 5000 with the 20" Nuggett Finder Advantage coil. Anyone used this combo and what depth can I expect to get? I'm new to the 5000 so any tips on settings etc. would be greatly appreciated. Is there a smaller more practical coil that would match the depth potential of the NF.
I'll be mainly swinging around the Moliagal, Dunnoly area.
Thanks.

G'day mate glad to see your upgrade in equipment there will be no looking back now you have come over to the dark side ;) now you need to update your post signature from Whites to Minelab. As you know I can't help you with GPX settings but sure you will have an answer on here soon. Let me know when you are heading to Vic , might have to pack the swag and meet up for a few days .

Cheers

The elite and evo coils seem to be the way to go a 19 evo is on its way in the future ,
being new to a 5000 I think start with a smaller coil until you are formilular with the detector regards john :)

Hello all, Do nugget booster actually work on gpx5000 or am I better not getting one.I realise they do work but want to find out what people think..

If you use an external speaker/s then IMO they do make a difference. Definitely lift faint signals & also easy to adjust volume on the run to suit any change in conditions/background noise. For some the inbuilt battery amp works fine with an external speaker so they find them unnecessary - you would need to try both & see what you prefer.
For headphones they're not recommended & IMO not required. They can actually damage your hearing. Some do use them though & again it would be personal preference. You can also wire headphones to "trip" the battery amp as per how the external speaker should be wired. There is a diagram in the manual showing how to wire for the internal amp to "trip" on.

On a gpx (4500 or later) with a proper gme (or clone) speaker the internal amp has plenty of volume in my opinion. Its only when running dual speakers that you have to really drive things, so the internal amp could do with some help.

Remember that an external amp can only amplify whatever audio the detector is already producing and it will amplify everything the same. By everything I mean threshold, and signals.

The issue on external amps when using headphones is that they can "colour" the sound either through noise, distortion or simply just changing the sound. Some users actually prefer the "coloured" sound which is why certain people swear by a particular brand. Usually it's the combination of detector audio settings, headphone choice and amp all combined that the user likes the sound of.

I like the audio as clear and crisp as possible so have always promoted the notion of: the first and most important accessory to get for your detector is a quality set of headphones.....unless you can't stand the things haha

PhaseTech said:
On a gpx (4500 or later) with a proper gme (or clone) speaker the internal amp has plenty of volume in my opinion. Its only when running dual speakers that you have to really drive things, so the internal amp could do with some help.

Remember that an external amp can only amplify whatever audio the detector is already producing and it will amplify everything the same. By everything I mean threshold, and signals.

The issue on external amps when using headphones is that they can "colour" the sound either through noise, distortion or simply just changing the sound. Some users actually prefer the "coloured" sound which is why certain people swear by a particular brand. Usually it's the combination of detector audio settings, headphone choice and amp all combined that the user likes the sound of.

I like the audio as clear and crisp as possible so have always promoted the notion of: the first and most important accessory to get for your detector is a quality set of headphones.....unless you can't stand the things haha

What would you say are the best headphones suited to the 5000, not worrying about price?

I'm still using my now beat up set of Sunrays. When they die I'll switch over to the Gog Phones which have the same speaker elements.

Looking forward to spending a bit more time using new Deteknix Pro wireless headphones. On initial test these were very clear and crisp. The plan is to use these on the detectors that don't have a wireless module.

Best headphones is a tough one. I've used some pretty high end studio headphones over the years but never tried them on detectors. I'm trying to convince myself I need a pair of Sennheiser momentums, boy do they sound sweet but low Ohms worries me.

PhaseTech said:

I have noticed a number of unspoken points to cover here...and it comes from using the 4K unit not the 5K, and the different batteries built for them.

On the 4K, audio was weak, and no internal amp, hence the use of my DETacc booster. Now this unit is different to the B&Z's (and others) as it was a "pre-amp"...ie, it was driven from the detectors p/s and boosted the audio from inception...which meant you could run a lower "Threshold" yet still have 'Volume' in the response.

However, due to the 4K weak audio, Minelab then built the same battery, but with it's own 'amp' for later models...this blows DETacc amp up (ask me how i know ~ TWICE!!! lol)....B&Z connect 'after' the response and use it's own power source...so no issue other than you are unable to separate the Threshold level from the units 'Volume" control, but if you have reasonable hearing this won't be as important to some.

Now, Nenad is younger than I, and may not be suffering 'industrial deafness' as i do, so he may very well find he hears just fine without any assistance :D ...but for me i struggle with the 'volume' (particularly 'speakers' on a windy day) and need that help...which now comes in the form of a self-powered 'post-amp' which for me is inconvenient (extra batteries/charging etc)... I now have to have the 'Threshold' set a notch or 3 higher for suitable hearing levels without an amp...although not so bad while wearing ear-BUDS but the Threshold is still higher than my initial battery/amp combo. The problem is, i imagine i am now missing being able to discern targets that 'juuust' break threshold, as it is set too high to what i had become accustomed to.

I am awaiting the warranty period to elapse on this newest replacement battery, then i will "modify" the wiring so i can go back to my DETacc booster...(just need to get them repaired :) )

For me...it's Boosters all day, all the way...ymmv. :D :cool:

Gypsy

OzzieAu said:
Will be heading to the GT when it dries out to try the new 5000 with the 20" Nuggett Finder Advantage coil. Anyone used this combo and what depth can I expect to get? I'm new to the 5000 so any tips on settings etc. would be greatly appreciated. Is there a smaller more practical coil that would match the depth potential of the NF.
I'll be mainly swinging around the Moliagal, Dunnoly area.
Thanks.

Did you make it to the GT yet?

If not, and you haven't had a chance to run it, i'd start by spending even just the first day running the 11"mono, and FP settings...spend the morning on FP to 'adjust' yourself to the responses (unlike the Whites)...then in the arvo, switch from FP search, to 'Target Response' mode, trying out different adjustments on the target once you discover it with the FP settings.

Do this while the target is still buried and undisturbed, surface as how you originally got the response from.

Most coils that fit/suit the 5K will all be within a bee's knee of difference (how do you qualify the result?) of each other, when you qualify each by size/depth category.

ie; you will be hard pressed to find an 11" coil working like the 20"NF you mention...but you may find the 'newer' 18/19" range may get 'similar' results in depth...but unless you test each coil, on every target, you won't know anyway....

I am about to resurrect my old (now 'modified') 16" NF mono as an in-between patch hunter. Light, good coverage in "semi-scrub" areas, good depth and also sensitive on shallow smaller bits...a lot will come back to the specific area your working....a 20" takes some work in comparison to smaller coils, and also needs the 'room' to work comfortably. So if your on wooded or rocky hillsides, the 20" may not be the answer for you in 'that' instance...

Should you have managed to get out since your post....how about an update on your journey with the 5K (if mentioned elsewhere, my apologies for missing it) and a report of your own experience with it? ;)

Cheers
Gypsy

Hi all. I've just bought a new sadie for my 4500 so I was wondering if anyone could volunteer some settings to run the thing. I'd be grateful of any help. I only get to travel to the SA goldfields a couple of times a year and would rather not have to stuff around with settings. Look forward to your suggestions. Thanks TD.

When i get home from work mate i will get mine out and post them. Just come back from vic with a new sadie on my 4500 and was happy with the settings.

Why not consider some training when your heading that way?
http://phasetechnical.com.au/services/#
Pretty cheap investment that will be of more help than a heap of settings that may or may not suit conditions on the day. With some training you'll learn how to adjust them to suit various coils + conditions & also more like ground, technique etc. Money well spent considering other costs involved in gold prospecting.

Latest posts