Boots for Prospecting, Hiking, Detecting information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dig'n-it said:
I've been wearing my new Oliver's detecting for two days now and can't recommend them highly enough. No discomfort whatsoever. It's amazing for a new pair of boots.
Yeah the olivers are working for me ( albeit wearing them for other duties in lieu of the weather of late ) .

Was sceptical of the zip sides , but on my second pair of steel cap mongrels @ work convinced me they are the go prior to my oliver purchase for detecting . :)

I have these:
https://steelblue.com/au/en/boots-and-accessories/boot-catalogue/ankle-boots/torquay-eh/

Pretty expensive (unless work pays :D ) but very comfortable and very durable. The only metal is a thin piece that loops between the zip and the zip pull tap but it's only detectable if you put the coil within a couple of inches.

There are a few versions of this boot but with different soles, the soles on the EH can get a bit slippery on hard wet surfaces so I'd recommend going for one of the more rubbery types.

I also have a couple of pairs of knock-off tactical boots from China (eBay) which are super comfy & metal free just not overly durable but you could buy 5 pairs for 1 pair of steel blues.

I am heading to Ballarat to the olivers shop at the factory you can pick up their seconds for less than half the price they may have a mark in the leather but a day in the bush will do a lot more damage lol. i wear olivers at work and only buy them from the factory store last pair i got think i paid about 60 bucks for them as opposed to 137 in a retail store and have had them for about 5 years so far lol .best work boot i have ever worn

1479610975_20161120_125952-774x1032.jpg

These are what i wear...nice and comfy...Not recommended though :D

I use the Oliver AT no zip good boots I also use these for work. I used the Reebok Rapid Response very comfy boot infact the most comfy boot I have ever put on my feet but just not up to detecting and they failed very quickly. I use lace ups purely for ankle support and grip when climbing.

Gday all
Ive been wearing oliver steel toe lace up /side zipper boots for years now and cant speak highly enough of them.
I never knew they made a full non metallic boot, thats good for us.
I just brought some (DD leather) snake gaitors they are made from 16 oz canvas, no point wearing them with only runners on lol.

I just wear my wellies . Should I call them smellies!.. They have saved me from ants,spiders scorpions and other nasties. Wear them on beach in shallow water mud etc.

Had the same question a few weeks back and went with Columbia Wear walking boots, keeps the dust ou and run cool on the feet! $52 online

Treat the Oliver's good and they will last year's.

Don't put any oil or grease on them like Dubbin.

Instead dampen them with water and apply Nikwax
http://m.paddypallin.com.au/nikwax-fabric-leather-proof-waterproofing.html

Things like Dubbin will just soften the leather and make it stretchy losing its shape.

Make sure they fit correct first and the leather won't need softening.

Lol another edit sorry...... Dubbin also stops the leather from being able to breath.

Got a new pair of non metallic Oliver XT's from" Boots for all " EBay free express postage 6 weeks ago $129.95 great value and great boots :D

Pirate pete said:
Must agree ollies bit xy but well worth the $190 and made in Victoria not china
Unfortunately I used to recommend Olivers (the lace up no metal ones) for this reason but recently discovered that they are now made in China. Barring a handful of styles they are all made there now. I didn't believe it but Oliver confirmed to me that it's correct & on checking the label on the tongue of my boots it does indeed say made in China. Oliver is now owned by a multi national group (Honeywell since 2012) so I guess it was bound to happen. No longer Australian owned & manufacturing going offshore. It's a familiar scenario.
On the up side I still reckon they are top boots, very comfortable & still lasting well. When Oliver contacted me about the manufacturing in China they were adamant that quality control was a big part of their process there. That would appear to be correct.

Steel blue or olivers. Pricey enough boots but worth it. Bang for buck steel blue, extremely comfortable straight out of the box. Once was on my feet for 14 hours, was surprised how well they treated me and my feet. Like walking on air, couldn't fault them at all. Had redbacks before, decent boot, but I would have been in a poor state after such a long stint in them I reckon.

diggit said:
Had redbacks before, decent boot, but I would have been in a poor state after such a long stint in them I reckon.

I'm with PabloP here...my first pair of "detecting boots" were Redbacks. I bought them in the same size as regular shoes and found they required (stretching) some work to eventually feel "comfortable" to me. My feet did ache after a long day, but those puppy's lasted me near 10 years...still plenty of sole, just all the stitching is finally giving up...

So, i was looking for either a repair or replace. Went with replace, but bought Redbacks once more, ONE size larger...and OH Boy...what a relief....had them 6 months now and can wear them ALL day like runners...

Just my experience with Redbacks...

I also have Deep Creek (cheaper style from like camping stores...) steel caps (one size larger lol) for GP work (comfy), and a set of AT's steel caps (no zip) but only worn twice as they gave me blisters on the heel....

Also...the "non-steel" cap Blundstones i bought years ago did actually have a "sole" metal plate to stop them from splitting soles...

So, all in all...as we have different shaped feet....you might be best served going to a "shoe-shop" (a novel experience in itself these days lol) and trying various makes to ensure a firm and comfortable fit....what works for me may not suit YOU.

Hope you find the answer to your quest...and good golding wearing them in. ;)

Gypsy

Was at Rays Outdoors today to try on some BlueSteel boots, but they felt uncomfortable, so I tried on a pair of Magnum Survivor 3 ones with composite toe, and bought them immediately. By far the most comfortable (and the most expensive!!!) work boot that I've ever worn. Only metal is in the zip, but if the coil gets that close, my knee will set off the detector anyway. Worn with quality wool hike socks, and comfort level is through the roof.

Latest posts