⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer about the flaw in it, would have been a nice large stone to facet. That sounds like a good idea mate, would like nice done like that. Looks like you've got some nice large crystals for faceting regardless of the sapphs.

I've never been quartz hunting up there, thinking of giving it a go this trip to try something different. Will probably have a go around the Tingha/Stannifer area.

It is amazing how widespread the New England deposits are found Heath.

My brother seems to find a new spot to hunt every trip, next one is rumoured to involve some rock climbing to see if we can locate the source. Darn shame it is so far away, would love to duck out every weekend for bit of local fossicking prior to breakfast.

I agree mate, I'd love to live in the GI/Inverell area for half the year each year, not in winter though. Hmmm, the rock climbing spot could be interesting, might be harder and further than most are prepared to go?? Anyway, your brother seems to have some nice spots worked out. :D

almost 8.(

1483436907_image.jpg

Thought it was worthy of magnifying and getting a before shot

Only got zircon from ND Pauly, the nice ones came from Porters Retreat albeit small.
Any ideas on the clear stone? Zircon or more likely white sapphire? it is very clear, going to take some better pics tommorow.
Reeko

Could be, although the big D is known in the area, so a bit of scratch testing could be in order.

Love the green one :cool: ..... And the blue one.

I reckon zircon Reeko, but hey I've been wrong before eh...... lol.

I get them regularly at Inverell in that nice clear colour, they facet really nice too if you get one that's a decent shape.

Come for a spin up North mate, you'll love it. :D

Nundle turning on some odd gemstones,
Big hematite stones, terminated quartz crystals, spinel, zircon and some bomb sapphs.
This was the winner today, a nice zircon and can anyone identify the strange orange stone?
It has a hammered look about it and an obvious tail, nfi what it is.
1484388658_image.jpg
1484388693_image.jpg
1484388730_image.jpg
1484388763_image.jpg

1485170187_21st_jan_find.jpg

New to the game this was my first attempt in a local site I have access to.

This small selection was found after being given a short intro to sapphire panning was the majority of our cleanup. Only a few hours work to get these.

P.S. Not sure yet if they are all gems or not but hey they are shiny and have nice colours - now just have to keep going to find a decent sized one.

P.P.S. Also this was the first spot we tried in the creek, have yet to move up or down stream.

Latest posts