Garrett At pro v.s At gold or Gti 2500 with treasure hunt eagle eye

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I live in a country where is fairly common to find small gold sculptures about 7 feet below ground and I`m trying to decide between these metal detectors the garret AT pro and AT gold because they`re waterproof and as i belive more dedicated to finding gold but also I`m cosidering the gti 2500 with the hunter treasure eagle eye since it`s depth search is greater although I read is very delicate and not so trustworthy. i`d really apreciate your opinion before buying something.

Gday Danny, welcome aboard, what sort of soils and ground cover do you have, flat desert, or undulating hills covered in elephant grass could make a difference ,..... sounds great, all those golden idols down there, maybe you need one of those coils you tow behind a quad bike (fitted with a forward mounted backhoe). Wish'n I lived there too now, rather golden idols at depth than a shallow covering of silver discs anyday ,.... any slight hints as to what the golden sculptures look like at all, maybe a photo of what they might look like could help us all feel that rise in jealousy feeling that makes us all think " ya lucky lucky bugga ". :D
8) 8)

Got all these images in my mind now, just confusing myself.
1483137361_2016-12-31-08-10-05-389032236.jpg

1483137411_images-7.jpg

1483137458_images-16.jpg

1483137509_images-19.jpg
1483137537_images-5.jpg

1483138014_images-1.jpg

1483137672_images-8.jpg

Hi Silver thanks for welcoming me. About the ground I would dare to say it's not highly mineralized not sure about that (I'm a newbie in this whole thing) it is ondulating with small plain patches. And about the idols they're pre-hispanic more like this one.

1483138125_tesoro_quimbaya_portada.jpg

Unless they are near surface, neither of those detectors will be of much help, nor will any other conventional metal detector I'm afraid. Detection depth is relative to the size of the object, and with your intended target aparently being quite small, detection depth with a vlf will only be a foot or so down at the most. You will struggle even with a pulse induction detector to hit a small object at your stated depths unfortunately, not to mention figuring out how to excavate such a deep target.

Most hoard hunting setups will also struggle, being suitable mainly for larger objects at depth.

The ATGold is the better detector from them 2 but they still wont go deep enough for what your looking for, the go find is an entry level detector
You need to look at a larger scale machine, maybe ground penetrating radar or ground scanner which I know nothing about
http://www.okmmetaldetectors.com/products.php
Just an example, when you watch a bomb hunter show they push a big machine that reads everything in the ground but would think they are maybe limited to maybe a meter deep 8)

Thanks a lot for the information B5Mech I think I'll go for the at gold although I'm conscious that won't go as deep as I would like to.

Was thinking more like this style machine Matt but I still have no idea about them, them seem very interesting but useless for me cause the HQ holden can stay there :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.geophysical.com/forensics.htm
I was wondering how big the metal has to be to show up on one, maybe useless on things less than 1kg

From the research I've done on GPR it would be better suited to horde or cache hunting.
One company I got some info off said that a metal detector would be better for locating jewellery, gold nuggets etc.
There is a combined PI detector & GPR unit available for a cool $35k :eek:

A VLF will hit targets of that size at around 2 or 3 feet maybe more depending on the Ground conditions and the machine and coil used, I have Dug small Toy soldiers at 17" and larger toys at over 18" So larger targets will ring out much deeper, The Limits of a VLF rely on all of the above, In good conditions 4 possibly 5 feet have been achieved but that is on very large targets and there is about 5% chance or LESS of that happening If That.

Personally you would be better off with one of the older minelab PI machines because they will hit targets that size at 3 or 4 feet all day long and only the very worst of soils will hold them back.

Danny Nightchild said:
Thanks for the information goldpick. What would you prefer between the at gold and the go find 60?

The Go-find is an entry level detector with limited depth capabilities, as mentioned the AT Pro would definitely be the pick of the two, though won't get 7 foot down on a small target. The only issue with the AT Pro is that it doesn't have a true all-metal mode for maximum depth capability, instead it offers "zero discrimination" mode which is not the same. The AT Gold does have an all-metal mode, though the higher frequency will limit the outright depth capability.

Maybe look at a few other detectors that offer a true all-metal mode amongst its programs

I have an old "Motor Boat " Garret detector and I
have used it to find old graves at 4 feet deep.
This old piece of technology can find a silver plate at 5 feet deep.
I laughed when I was told but it gave me a migraine when I proved it.
Probably wiped out every TV for about 3 miles around. LOL
Brilliant on cavities in the ground but took a bit more to find deep metal.
Has 2 coils combined with the outside one 3 feet round.
The center coil at 8" round is used for " Pin Pointing. " LOL
6 9v batteries and they go flat within 20 minutes when you put it in
GEB mode.

Tathradj said:
I have an old "Motor Boat " Garret detector and I
have used it to find old graves at 4 feet deep.
This old piece of technology can find a silver plate at 5 feet deep.
I laughed when I was told but it gave me a migraine when I proved it.
Probably wiped out every TV for about 3 miles around. LOL
Brilliant on cavities in the ground but took a bit more to find deep metal.
Has 2 coils combined with the outside one 3 feet round.
The center coil at 8" round is used for " Pin Pointing. " LOL
6 9v batteries and they go flat within 20 minutes when you put it in
GEB mode.

Yep them old ones do have some serious power, I have one of the old Whites 5900's and it can out Grunt any modern VLF by a huge margin and the GEB really boosts the depth and the Disc can be used to like the imask / isat to make it see through mineralization, Those old timers can do with a 9" coil what a modern machine does with a 15" coil and still have some grunt in reserve.

John.

Latest posts