⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1479393903_image.jpg
60 carat australian emerald I'm working out how I can cut , hopefully a finnished product soon .

Hey Heatho did you have the sapphire cut to fit into that finger, drastic move mate but could be a trend setter!!!!!
Wally just beautiful mate very nice.
Mackka
PS
Not knowing about cutting, faceting etc, what is the general loss from raw to cut?

Every day I come home from the Creek/river after digginhard and I feel a little dejected about the measly couple of sapphire bombs I found i just look at the cut stones here and I'm revitalised for the next days digging.Though I must say that sitting in a beautiful creekbed in a beautiful forest is "nearly" payment enough.Some fantastic looking gems to be seen here.Thanks for the motivation.Still looking for companions and anybody in the area are welcome to join me anytime.Cheers

Mackka said:
Hey Heatho did you have the sapphire cut to fit into that finger, drastic move mate but could be a trend setter!!!!!
Wally just beautiful mate very nice.
Mackka
PS
Not knowing about cutting, faceting etc, what is the general loss from raw to cut?

That's Kingsolomon's finger mate I reckon he needs to stop trying to facet his fingers, lol. Every job has its dangers I suppose. :)

Thanks for the kind comments

Mackka, yield will depend on the shape of the rough, but more so on the choice of cut and if inclusions need to be dealt with. 20% to 60% would be my wild stab in the dark as I have only cut a handfull.

Thought I would capture before and after size on this one but forgot to get a pre-cut carat weight to work out the % loss. This stone had a reasonably high yield as it had a good natural shape. The pre-form photo shows an indent that reduced the size bu about 2mm and it also has a small inclusion that I didn't fully chase out as it is vertically positioned at the girdle. I might have lost another 1.5mm if I totally removed it.

Latest posts