Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Roy said mate . Set up different types of targets at home and it will all come easy to u .(l did )

Build this perhaps. :p
1483053796_images.jpg

I am hoping someone can help me out here.

I took the detector out to the local park to give it a run. I started with All Metal mode then switched to Discrimination 2 program in order to avoid pull tabs but that is all I seemed to have dug up. The pull tabs always threw an ID 10 or 12.

Is there a setting I have got wrong. Could my sensitivity be too high. I read the ebook and manual and still scratching my head. I always knew that at the beginning I would be digging up alot of junk but 15/16 were pull tabs and 1 piece of lead. :8

Run full discrimination in parks, take a couple of coins with you and have a listen and note target id number, sunbakers are different to buried so cut a small shallow split slide the coin in and compare the tone difference
The best coins to learn with are goldies and picking them out without digging bottle caps
Read this for ID numbers
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15178
Problem with parks is the amount of tiny junk and trying to listen to all of it will drive you nuts
Learn the tones and don't always rely on an id number
If you get lots of chattery junk noise then drop sensitivity but the factory pre set should be sweet ;)

Boulders said:
I am hoping someone can help me out here.

I took the detector out to the local park to give it a run. I started with All Metal mode then switched to Discrimination 2 program in order to avoid pull tabs but that is all I seemed to have dug up. The pull tabs always threw an ID 10 or 12.

Is there a setting I have got wrong. Could my sensitivity be too high. I read the ebook and manual and still scratching my head. I always knew that at the beginning I would be digging up alot of junk but 15/16 were pull tabs and 1 piece of lead. :8
THE xterra 705 his a hard machine to get to know PROPERLY. ..i nearly sold mine multiple times. ..but once you have worked it out...you will love it...for parks with lots of rubbish dont use the factory settings...design you own settings...leave open numbers 6.8.10.12.24.26.30.32.34.black out all other numbers... use 3 tones..or 4..not 99..auto tune your noise cancel. ...and auto ground balance. ..you will always get junk..even with the best descrimination settings...but it will help narrow it down...1$ coins always show a number 32...but some tightly squashed aluminum also show id 32..use those numbers sugested. ..dont turn up the sensitivity to high...i use around the 22 mark...keep threshold to a slight hum..around 10..12...and dig every solid signal....not the chattery ones...dig those once you start to learn how you machine works :D Also make sure you have your target id on...its the little +sign next to the coin sign:D

If pull tabs continue to throw an id of 10..12...just black those numbers out. .sometimes it can take a couple of swings over a target to either get a solid tone...or for it to descriminat out......just remember that if you black out numbers 10 ...12..you could also be missing some types of jewelry. .. though if its like my park and there is pulltabs every 10cm...just descriminat them out...Also.Try and watch as many u tube xterra 705 tips as possible. ..This can help alot...as they are not shown in the user guide...Good luck :D

I agree with everything smokey bandit says except i would probably leave open the 40's as well as penny's and silvers can throw id's in this range.

Unfortunately trash, especially pull tabs, is all apart of it your never going to discriminate everything out i know its frustrating at first and we have all had a day out where all you can seem to dig up is trash but when you start to except that you are always going to dig up trash it gets better and easier, the more targets you dig the more you'll get to know the 705 and what its telling you, you'll start to feel more comfortable discriminating the signals yourself, like smokey said the real chattery tones are usually trash but in saying that I've had the odd goldie bounce around a bit and the thrip i found was bouncing around as well, almost didnt dig it, so its all trial and error. Everytime i take it out im always learning what the 705 is telling me and what the different signals and how the act mean.

You say the pull tabs were throwing 10-12 on the TID and you were wanting to discriminate these out, but look at the TID number chart B5 posted up, 10-12 is also what 9ct gold will show as well :eek: :D

Ohh and if you don't have one already, look at getting a pin pointer, i bought my first one just the other day and it has cut my recovery time down by about half :D i dont know what i would do without it anymore :rolleyes:

Hope this helps :)

M3talmiliti4 said:
You say the pull tabs were throwing 10-12 on the TID and you were wanting to discriminate these out, but look at the TID number chart B5 posted up, 10-12 is also what 9ct gold will show as well :eek: :D

I had a read of that chart and that is the reason I didn't block 10 or 12 out.

So is it normal that my machine throws a 10 and a 12 for pull tabs where as others may show different numbers. Is that due to the different soil conditions or does that come down to settings on the machine or could it even be a dud?

M3talmiliti4 said:
I agree with everything smokey bandit says except i would probably leave open the 40's as well as penny's and silvers can throw id's in this range.

Unfortunately trash, especially pull tabs, is all apart of it your never going to discriminate everything out i know its frustrating at first and we have all had a day out where all you can seem to dig up is trash but when you start to except that you are always going to dig up trash it gets better and easier, the more targets you dig the more you'll get to know the 705 and what its telling you, you'll start to feel more comfortable discriminating the signals yourself, like smokey said the real chattery tones are usually trash but in saying that I've had the odd goldie bounce around a bit and the thrip i found was bouncing around as well, almost didnt dig it, so its all trial and error. Everytime i take it out im always learning what the 705 is telling me and what the different signals and how the act mean.

Ohh and if you don't have one already, look at getting a pin pointer, i bought my first one just the other day and it has cut my recovery time down by about half :D i dont know what i would do without it anymore :rolleyes:

Cheers m8 i will open my 40s from now on...probs why i have never found a penny.lol...And yes a pinpointer is a must... :eek: :D :D

I think you'll find that if a pull tab is showing 10 - 12 but then another pull tab is showing a different TID then it is prabably because the material it is made from is slightly different to the previous. Pull tabs have changed alot over time and are all different, i know a pull tab can show anywhere from 10 upto the low 20's. The old ring pulls show a higher reading then the more modern ones, but if your finding the old style ring pulls you know your in an old area that could hold some old pre decs :D

The trash we dig can tell us alot about the area we are in and the ground we are digging, so always be aware and take note of the junk you dig up. Like a peice of can slaw if you peel it apart could also show the age of an area by the design on it.

Smoky bandit said:
M3talmiliti4 said:

Cheers m8 i will open my 40s from now on...probs why i have never found a penny.lol...And yes a pinpointer is a must... :eek: :D :D

Haha, i remember the first penny i pulled out was a solid 44 :p

Hi ! I recently purchased an x terra 705 gold pack and used it for the first time in rushworth vic ( whroo forest ) today using the manufacturer setting for prospecting..... not good.... I have been digging nails all day !
Could anyone help me finding a suitable setting for gold nugget prospecting with this detector in Victoria?
Thank you in advance !
Richard b

Hi ! I went gold prospecting in rushworth Victoria and have been digging old nails all day even though I set up the detector with manufacturer default setting for gold nugget... how can I set it up for gold nuggets ? And stop it from buzzing on other metals ?
Any help on that matter would be greatly appreciated!

Latest posts