Detecting at Rushworth

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wanting to detect in the Rushworth area but I'm not sure if its worth it. I've been told by people that gold there is far to deep for metal detecting. Although, there are plenty of alluvial diggings throughout the forest and same are very shallow in the gullies only 1-2 feet deep. I'm wanting to find some ground that hasn't been detected away from the diggings - (gullies that haven't been prospected). Has anyone done well around Rushworth?

Merry Christmas to all,

Cheers.

Follow a gully on your left for 300 metres, then explore the area around the bend ,.... hopefully if you grid that area very very carefully and low and super slow, clearing away the sticks and raking the mulch and clearing the bigger rocks so the coil can slide across the ground without bumping at all, you may find something ,... just remember to put it all back how it was before you take home all the gold ( hopefully). ;)

For rushworth area there was allways small speci gold on the south and south west side of growlers hill if you rake and dig out the larger rock but its hard yakka and mainly sdc size now. Or to the south west in that same forest (think north of costerfield ) there is alot of very interesting ground but it's a huge area.

Good luck
Daryl

I've tried Rushworth with Mardymoose, but found the geology very confusing compared to most places in the GT. Spoke with a few locals who agreed that many outsiders find the geology "upside-down". Even the reefs had changed direction to more East/West. We gave up without finding any and haven't been back since. We were both were swinging GPX machines and have scored well in the GT. However, dam it and Narra seem to prosper there.

Plenty of gold came out of Rushworth / Whroo back in the day with the old VLF machines. I got my first 2 bits there with an XT17000. The were some great patches found further out in the forrest to the west of Whroo. Ive seen some big gold come out of that area but its hugewith a lot of blank ground in between . As for the geology Look for large Patches of Grass Trees as they seem to like poorer granite soil. They indicate a granitic dyke or intrusion. Detect quartzy runs & gravel patches & search downslope from these. There should be plenty of lil bits for a 2300 to find as well as lots of deep ground that could hold large gold.

1483078365_sdc10168.jpg

A few bits I found a couple of years ago there with the 3500
got a 4000 and a few detech coils a couple of months ago,first chance goin back to the spot to see what we can turn up,
I do know of two or three screamer targets a foot appart which I previously discounted as shit but I might dig em this time ;)

Latest posts