Sluice or highbanker mats / matting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP.
I was going to say if you had a problem finding some, I have a few lengths of catwalk mesh here,
you are only down the hill from me.
could of dropped it off to you on the way into work this morning,
the engineering guys up here in Mt.ev have always got bits of off cuts

XIV said:
OP.
I was going to say if you had a problem finding some, I have a few lengths of catwalk mesh here,
you are only down the hill from me.
could of dropped it off to you on the way into work this morning,
the engineering guys up here in Mt.ev have always got bits of off cuts

Top bloke! Thanks for the offer, I have enough of the bigger bits to weld together and trim the sides down now, the screen door has way more than I'll need.
Dunno if either are ideal profiles, I'll have to test them out when fitted.

Hey Occassional,
I'd be interested to know how the really wide gauge stuff goes (The 3rd pic in your 1st post). I have some of that, but I haven't cut it up or tested it yet.

I got it because it was at the scrap yard, but later I thought it looked too wide and thin. I dunno, maybe someone else has tried that one before?

brendomac said:
Hey Occassional,
I'd be interested to know how the really wide gauge stuff goes (The 3rd pic in your 1st post). I have some of that, but I haven't cut it up or tested it yet.

I got it because it was at the scrap yard, but later I thought it looked too wide and thin. I dunno, maybe someone else has tried that one before?

Shall do mate, I fitted the biggest size I got to the length of the banker, it seems a little too hardcore, I run a 10 in wide banker and with 3700 gal bilge on a fresh battery the deck wasn't very active, I'll cut and have ready a few different options, so I can field test them, catch the tailings and pan it out to see what gets missed.

XIV what size catwalk mesh do you run mate?

I'll double check when I get home tonight from work, but I think its 75x32 at a depth of 18mm.
How wide is the sluice?

Now I know you said your running a 3700 bilge. Which should be beg enough.
How much hose are you running and whats the lift in it.
That may be the problem with water flow.
When running a bilge. I would have it as high as possible.
Are you running spray bars, holes may be to small too.

If you have any questions mp me and I may be able to help out one arvo.
Or I'll take you down to a local spot to run it and see if we can iron out any kinks you are having.

I was just running it in the back yard with 2m of smooth suction hose to test the new riffles, so that shouldn't be an issue.
That would be great if we could run it somewhere I'd love to get your input mate!

Thanks Occassional,

I have some holidays coming up, so I might try rebuilding the sluice innards again, If I do I'll make sure I'll post the results. Thankfully in the meantime, I have an Angus MacKirk Grubstake that gets me out of trouble.

But if you give the wider thinner gauge a crack, I looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

Yeah I'll cut some up tonight and I'll be able to swap them around quickly to see how each performs (hopefully).
BTW what the hell is that suit you are wearing???

Thanks! Haha, that's my Duffman suit! It was especially important for the round of bush golf we played that day.

Had a quick dig with Kane today, thanks mate! I tried the two bigger mesh. The biggest one worked really well. The security door one not so well. Got a few flakes from the cleanup. 95% was in the black v matt, that surprised me! I was running carpet and cross riffles before. The catwalk mesh and miners moss with v matt under works really well. I reckon I'll end up getting the dream matt though, Kane talked me into that.

Your welcome bud.
Good to see you got a little color in the banker.
You won't go wrong with the dream mat.
And you won't have to pan out all that material.

Occasional_panner said:
Had a quick dig with Kane today, thanks mate! I tried the two bigger mesh. The biggest one worked really well. The security door one not so well. Got a few flakes from the cleanup. 95% was in the black v matt, that surprised me! I was running carpet and cross riffles before. The catwalk mesh and miners moss with v matt under works really well. I reckon I'll end up getting the dream matt though, Kane talked me into that.

G'day Mark, X2 on the Dream Mat, I run the 8 inch wide mat in a homemade river sluice and it's efficiency re gravitiy separation sets it apart from many of the commonly used setups.

casper

Just bought a gs16 can anyone tell me where to find miners moss/matting around maryborough/bendigo? would prefer to switch out the marine carpet sooner rather than later

bunnings will have what you need.
either the woven in a 1000x1200mm for I think about $29, but you will have to run some sort of rubber matting under it
or a door mat woven with backing, they work well.

XIV said:
either the woven in a 1000x1200mm for I think about $29, but you will have to run some sort of rubber matting under it

The backed woven mats can be found at 'The Reject Shop'. They come in 2 sizes; smaller is $6 and larger $8. Fairly open weave and not to heavy.

I use the Backed woven matting in all my kit! Got it from Clark rubber in Cairns. I like to collect all the fine heavies!

I wonder if the new Dream matting would work well as a con's clean up unit for the bigger plant? Lots of fine raw tin in our cons!?

Brother said:
I use the Backed woven matting in all my kit! Got it from Clark rubber in Cairns. I like to collect all the fine heavies!

I wonder if the new Dream matting would work well as a con's clean up unit for the bigger plant? Lots of fine raw tin in our cons!?
Going on what I have run with the dream mat, it should be fine.
One of the spots I run is full of iron stone, it keeps all the fine gold no worries.

XIV said:
didnt find any at bunnings but clark rubber bendigo had it cheers

Latest posts